AC-119K Gunship

Hello all,

This is the old Testors/Italeri 1:72 kit. I plan to build it OOB, but I may use some other decals because I am not sure if these are still good. I bought this kit off Ebay a few years ago and have constantly been pushing it to the back of the build pile. I am glad this group build is giving me a reason to build it.

I really like the box art on these old kits. When I see all the pictures on the back it makes me want to build it.

Stinger01_zpsdf11539a.jpg

Stinger02_zpseaaf4249.jpg

This thing comes in a huge box. I am not sure why other than to look impressive to the purchaser. Once you pull the cardboard tray out this is what you get.

Stinger03_zpsf1ca560e.jpg

Just enough to fill half the box.

Els

Edited by Els

I was able to make some progress on the kit. The flight deck is pretty much done. Not much was done to it because oce the the two halves are joined and the windows are installed not much is visible. I also added some seatbelts made from Tamiya tape.

Stinger06_zpsfd037fb1.jpg

I also hot glued some weights in before I forgot about it.

Stinger07_zpsb1c83ad8.jpg

Els

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the Silly Week kits are done I can get back on this.

Liberator, I wasn't sure what you were talking about when you said the kit was a BEAR. That was until I started adding the booms and closing up the fuselage. It is nowhere near as bad as the gaps on the Transall that ALF18 is building in his thread but it is still a bit of a pain.

Here is where it is at just to show that I am still plugging away at it.

Stinger08_zpsa5ef6c93.jpg

Els

The nose was added after filling it with lead fishing weights. It needed filling and sanding.

Stinger09_zpse9f22d4d.jpg

After fixing that I put some paint on the kit. This is the first layer.

Stinger10_zps9f04d93f.jpg

I will add some more shading and washes.

Next on to the decals.

Els

• 2 weeks later...

This one is done. It is another great addition to my 3 foot airforce. I couldn't find any good pictures of the location of the second wire antenna for the top so I just left it off. It is darker in the pictures than in person, I had a hard time getting good pictures because of the size of it. I will post a couple more pictures in the completed area.

Stinger12_zps39042bba.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Els

Thanks Bigasshammm. If you ever decide to get one make sure you check out the kit parts. I read a few places on line where people had received mixed tail booms in their kits.

• 1 month later...