Sword Skyknight 1/72nd scale

Fred,

If you haven't seen it already, check here: squadronblog.com/2013/11/18/172-scale-f3d-2-skyknight/ I think it will allay your fears, looks very good.

Cheers,

Tom

PS: Try www.westcoasthobbys.com for the kit. He doesn't have them yet, but they are on the way and his price is very good, as is his service.

Neu, they didn't have a whole lot of choices,,,,,,the Marines are the only ones that used the Skyknight operationally,,,,other than one USN unit with 2 tiny Detachments (both Dets not in a combat zone)

and yes, I know,,"what about VF-11 and VF-14",,,,,those were basically training units in their Skyknight days, being deemed "non-deployable" while they had their F3Ds.

I got my kit several weeks from Modelimex - click on each particular version to see the box contents. Cost is less expensive than from Squadron, of course, but shipping may be slow this time of year(?).

There's a video review at Fine Scale Modeler, but doesn't say much (of course again).

As usual with Sword kits, I spent a couple of hours trimming flash, sanding pieces, and test fitting ... and the results were a very nice mock up. There are some challenge in getting the insides of the engine pods correctly aligned, but all else fits very well.

I used Ginter's Naval Fighters Number 4 and Squadron's F3D Skyknight In Action for reference, and everything laid out well ... however, I didn't match up the plastic to any "authoritative" three views (don't have any).

Skyknight2_3095x1741_1547x870.jpg

Skyknight1_3095x1741_1547x870.jpg

Please note that the loose fit in the photo above is a function of the tape - the parts will snug together perfectly with cement! Additionally, there's clear tape holding the three-piece canopy together making it less than clear ... but the plastic is indeed crystal clear.

The only thing needed is colored photoetch for the cockpit!!!!! Other than that, it's an excellent short run kit.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Neu, they didn't have a whole lot of choices,,,,,,the Marines are the only ones that used the Skyknight operationally,,,,other than one USN unit with 2 tiny Detachments (both Dets not in a combat zone)

Not quite so - there was a VC-4 det operating off the carrier Lake Champlain that went ashore and flew night combat air patrols and a few interdiction missions alongside the Marine F3Ds. Didn't score any kills and lost an aircraft in the process - likely to MiGs - but they were there. Great book on the subject is "Night Fighters Over Korea" written by the former Officer in Charge of the det.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Fighters-Over-Korea-ORourke/dp/1557506531/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386814261&sr=8-1&keywords=night+fighters+over+korea

Actually I find the detachments interesting... the composite squadrons were unique units with an outsized influence on naval operations during this era. They pioneered all weather operations. And god forbid they offer a non-deployed airplane scheme. 3/4ths of the options are Marine birds. It interested me enough to build my own VC-4 aircraft:

5N4.jpg

And other assorted aircraft:

4c3-1.jpg

4d1.jpg

Found some nice images in the USS Midway cruise book from 52.

If you ever want a fantastic read the edited volume Into the Jet Age:Conflict and Change in Naval Aviation, 1945-1975 is well worth the effort to track down. It gives a whole new perspective about what aviators faced during this era.

Edited by -Neu-

geez, Neu,,,,,,,,I wasn't saying that they should only make Operational Squadrons decal options

I was only saying that except for one unit, the Marines operated the aircraft (in answer to your note that the decals are mostly Marines)

we don't get many "training only units" decal options in the other Naval aircraft kits either,,,,with the exception of VF-101 or VF-121, unless it is one of the Hornets,,,then we get "the aircraft as painted while it was parked behind the Hangar waiting for a new engine while assigned to the SharpShooters on April 4th, on the same sheet that gives us the May 3rd operational scheme" (exaggerated on purpose)

but, an actual VA-44 Skyhawk?, nope,,,VA-125 Skyraider, again, no

the Skyknight is unique in that if you want to provide any options at all, you will be including non-deployed units on the decals,,,,or multiples of the units that did deploy them,,,,,those are the only options, after all,,,,,,,it is almost, but not quite, as bad as trying to provide Mauler or Fireball multiple markings options, there just aren't very many

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of them, but don't want to drop the money if they're dogs. Does anyone have one yet and can comment? Thanks, Fred K.

Thanks everyone! I'll go ahead with my plans to pick up a pair of them ;0) Fred.