1/48 scale Cessna 150

Back in the 70's, my dad owned a 150. N8308G was its tail #. As part of a surprise birthday package I'm getting together for him, one of the gifts is a model of his airplane.

It will be on a wooden base in a inflight pose. I don't have much time to build it before his bday, so I'm bypassing the cockpit and painting all the windows gloss gray as all replica models all have the windows painted gray.

I dug out two 150 models and quickly found out that you don't leave a model in direct sunlight

9786244E-8B58-4F88-8E72-DB4DDEEA6B9E_zpsb6wbyauu.jpg

So I have to use the other model. Pics will follow shortly!

All comments/critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

So hears my first in- progress pic!!! The vertical fin on a 150 is shorter in length than a 152. Like this:

711DFC2B-81E3-4888-9FD2-071DAD058F2C_zpsjhzq3uap.jpg

Compared to this:

7233C748-3AC6-4037-9241-658E197329B4_zpsleq7mzig.jpg

I made a cut with my razor saw where it looks like the fin will end

.728980A3-03F8-417E-AC94-E9DC95906897_zpsuk8sak4y.jpg

If anybody knows a good way to taper this fin other than sanding, I'm all ears! Sorry I can't get any closer with my #phone 4. It doesn't gave a zoom lens like the 4s does.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

A One-Fifty! :woot.gif:

I've earned my wings in a 150.

Note that the kit is a 150 Aerobat, it has windows in the cockpit headliner, which are not present on a normal 150.

You should also add a thin strip of styrene or tape from top to bottom of the rear window, as it is divided by a very promient strut.

There may also bee to much dihedral in the wings from what I remember.

What kit is this? The 150 was released several times by Revell and Academy/Minicraft in the past 30 years. I've built one long ago before I even knew the difference between a 150 and a 172. I had planned to refurbish it, but due to other projects, it has been put away since 1995. I had also cut off the ventral fin just like you did.

BTW: The aircraft in both pictures are both Cessna 150s. You can tell it by looking at the height of the joint of the upper and lower cowling halves. The longer fin was introduced with the 150L in the early 1970s.

Maybe it's time to continue on my model again.

Edited by Lancer512

Thanks Gluebob, I'll check it out as the decals are VERY old and yellowed and I don't think they can be used.

If anybody can tell me what I can use for wheels, please let me know as the wheels have the wheel pants on them and his plane did not have them.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Thanks Gluebob, I'll check it out as the decals are VERY old and yellowed and I don't think they can be used.

If anybody can tell me what I can use for wheels, please let me know as the wheels have the wheel pants on them and his plane did not have them.

Tim

I've used 1/144 L-1011 Tristar main wheels on my model, but I am sure wheels from any widebody will be about the right size. It'll make it look much better then these wheel pants, anyway.

IIRC, Academy makes a 150/152 still in that scale. Looking on eBay under "Cessna" in Models and Kits will bring up a flock of 'em.

Me? ..I'd buy a newer kit than that old Entex issue. I'd bet the newer issues are the same mold, just different companies (Academy, ARII, Bandai, etc.

I had 2 kits at the start, one was the entex above and the sun warped one at the top of the thread was a minicraft 150. If anybody has any wheels that will fit the 150 and you want to part with them, I'll take them and I'll pay for postage if needed. I'd love to get my hands on the new boxing of the 152 that just come out. They've got the new wheel pant style which I think looks cool on any Cessna.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Thanks Vince, but actually I need the wheels without the wheel pants. I just saw in a review where the 172 has wheels without the wheel pants on them. That's the ones I need!

Thanks anyway and good luck with your build and post some pics to look!

Tim

You may be disappointed in any new release just based on boxtop art. It may end up being the same kit you have. The boxtop art on my Minicraft C-150 is a work of fiction as well (box #1608)

The 150 you have is a strange mix of differing model years. It had the long dorsal fin(which you modded) of a post '71 model and the landing light in the wing position, and the wingtips of a pre-'71 model. I believe you are doing a 150F of 1966 vintage, so you are on the right track, remember to fill in those skylight windows, as they are an Aerobat feature not on your intended aircraft.

I own a '69 C-150J and have been collecting data and pics to do my own aircraft someday.

Good luck

Model on !!

Tony

Thanks snowbird3a, yes it was a 150F and I plan on filling in those skylights like you guys have said. What color would be best to use for the clear parts and should I paint the inside or outside of the clear parts?

Thanks!

Tim

Tim, if it were me, I would be working on the interior as well, for you, I think a mid/dark grey would suit your purpose.(on the outside)

The back window should have a metal strip down the middle to separate the single piece into two.

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Nice project. I like general aviation models!

Personally I wouldn't go with grey windows. The grey windows on desktop models are one of the reasons I build the models myself.... assembling the cockpit and painting it in 2 or 3 basic colours would be enough to give the model a much more detailed look, with maybe an hour of extra work. But it's your choice.

Btw, how did you manage to melt that first kit so badly? How hot is it where you live? :o

I'm really not totally sure. I live in the Cincinnati area and I had a habit a few years ago of taking a model to work to do minor things to it. I guess the repeated exposure to the inside heat of my vehicle and the sun beating down on it killed it. As for the windows, I only have about 3 weeks till his birthday, so time is not on my side considering my modeling time is very little, so I have to paint the windows this time. I don't want to and I don't practice that habit, but time is against me on this one!

Thanks!

Tim

Tim, this is my 69 150J. The paint is faded a lot, it is in the 'Discover Flying' scheme. The inflight shot was from the flight home after purchasing it in Victoria.

Horseshoe Bay and Bowen Island across the Georgia Strait, in the background.

DSC04545_zpsa83c2e26.jpg

TonyEdmundsonampC-GIHO05May2011032_zpsa75a88f0.jpg

Very nice airplane! An old US 150 huh? N60954 it looks like.How does she fly?

Tim

It was imported into Canada in '74 and has spent most of it's days in the Vancouver Island area. It flies nice solo but a little tired with two people on board. Engine is getting up in hours and the cylinder compression is suffering. But it's FUN !!and MINE !!

Tony