1/48 scale Cessna 150

By your username, are/were you a snowbird pilot by chance?

Tim

Nope, Airframe Tech by trade, but I served two years with the Snowbirds 1990-91 as crewman on #3 jet. For a guy with a civvy pilots licence, it was a job of a lifetime. All the free jet formation flying I wanted.

Tony

Does anybody know what color this would be? My dad's plane was either this color or maybe a shade darker

What ever color it is, could you post a color sample of what it is please?

Tim, it looks like emerald green, or something very close. As this is the original 1968 paint scheme, maybe somebody here knows where to find the facory paint codes?

I would try MM 1524, X28 or Revell 61 to start with.

However, Revell 61 seems to be a direct hit!

Edit: The cowling halves appear to have been repainted at some time, as it is a different shade than the fuselage and spinner. I was looking for a match of the cowling color.

Edited by Lancer512

We'll, I finally found the REAL color of dad's plane. I remember this dark green color in the 2 pictures that dad has and that I've seen before. He doesn't remember were they are otherwise I would have borrowed them.

Anyway, here's the right color, if anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it!

602BAF1F-89EC-4B85-AC6D-2D1B532B3122_zpsxyltue3c.jpg

Thanks!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Here's a pic of dad's plane. After he sold it, the CAP got ahold of it and repainted it. Excuse the dirt, according to the owner, she hasn't flown in a long time.

04B80C81-5288-49EE-9C67-2D64C585C285_zpsc4mjdswx.jpg

A CAP C-150 is a rear bird indeed, I think we only had a handful of them. Not really the best aircraft for the job..

There are some great pictures of N3109X on Google also...622086.jpg

It appears it got exported ti Ireland.

Can anybody point me to a place where I can get those straight registration numbers in 1/48 scale like what is on this plane? I can only find angled numbers on Draw Decal.

Tim

Humbrol should have British Racing Green as an enamel!

As for the regs, I would go for masking it. Paint the model white and mask the reg by cutting some strips out of tape. The letters do not have round edges so it should be possible with a sharp knife and some patience. After you've masked it you paint the green area around it.

But it would only work with an airbrush.

• 2 years later...

Tim, this is my 69 150J. The paint is faded a lot, it is in the 'Discover Flying' scheme. The inflight shot was from the flight home after purchasing it in Victoria.

Horseshoe Bay and Bowen Island across the Georgia Strait, in the background.

DSC04545_zpsa83c2e26.jpg

TonyEdmundsonampC-GIHO05May2011032_zpsa75a88f0.jpg

I have one identical to your 150 J with a brand new Continental motor

This factory color option is getting almost impossible to find, as it was a part of the "Discover Flying" proram by Cessna

I will keep my bird in mint condition. I love the unusual colos scheme.

Greetings from Iceland

Leifur

http://www.flugheimur.is/cgi-shl/planeinfo.exe?868

Tim, this is my 69 150J. The paint is faded a lot, it is in the 'Discover Flying' scheme. The inflight shot was from the flight home after purchasing it in Victoria.

Horseshoe Bay and Bowen Island across the Georgia Strait, in the background.

DSC04545_zpsa83c2e26.jpg

TonyEdmundsonampC-GIHO05May2011032_zpsa75a88f0.jpg

I have one identical to your 150 J with a brand new Continental motor

This factory color option is getting almost impossible to find, as it was a part of the "Discover Flying" program by Cessna, a special offer for flying schools

I will keep my bird in mint condition. I love the unusual color scheme, and I will not let anyone change it.

Greetings from Iceland

Leifur

868.jpg

Edited by Ugluspegill
  • 2 years later...

Just now came back to this build thread. That all took place in Dec. Of 2013. I had hoped Dad would have got it for his birthday, but he died in 2014 and I never got the chance to finish it and give it to him.

Maybe I'll finish it someday. The intention is just not the same now!

Thanks to everyone for your time and help.

Tim