1/35 scale H-60 Rotor Head

The 1/35 scale H-60 Hawk family of kits are pretty nice and with aftermarket PE and detail sets, it builds into a good looking model that's looks realistic except for 2 areas:

1) HIRSS

2) Rotor Head

I've always wanted to build a better detailed rotor head, but never tried until now. Please be patient with me as I don't get much time to model as I would like but I will post in-progress pics as I move along in the build.

Here's all the kit parts minus the PC rods.

5A785B28-B7FC-469E-87CC-5EAEEB1938FE_zpsxfcvoobt.jpg

Hopefully I can take it from that to a pretty good model of this:

373F3A54-3D46-47C0-8F5E-429B1677AB95_zpsyjkhnhmg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

It all depends who would be interested in producing it considering the hub might have to be made out of white metal, but if the detail is liked by whoever such as CC or WW, then yes I would consider having it as part of a covers ion set.

Tim

The 1/35 scale H-60 Hawk family of kits are pretty nice and with aftermarket PE and detail sets, it builds into a good looking model that's looks realistic except for 2 areas:

1) HIRSS

2) Rotor Head

I've always wanted to build a better detailed rotor head, but never tried until now. Please be patient with me as I don't get much time to model as I would like but I will post in-progress pics as I move along in the build.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Will be following along, good luck with your project. Now if someone will figure out a way to correct the HIRSS.....

Like I said in the email, building to put on your model is not the same as building for casting. Parts immersed in RTV will be subject to free standing envelopment and interlock. Free standing envelopment will happen with the pitch change horns, these pieces will break off when trying to free the entire assembly from the RTV. This means a two part mold is likely. The next problem is interlock. Anything that is not solid will create an interlock in a mold. No Matter what kind of mold. If I remember correctly the Eduard weight covers are hollow. This is interlock. There is no way to pull any such piece out of a mold without breaking it. You should begin to think about creative ways around these problems. In the Cobra Company white metal heads in 1/48th scale we resorted to artistic license. A depiction of the real thing engineered to avoid the envelopment and interlock issues. Try to envision these circumstances with each piece. It may be better to NOT put the pieces on but cast them individually and then add them to the master hub. Creating a better looking rotor mast can be done on a lathe, using any kind of stock.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

I'm all for a new rotorhead. I just picked up a MH-60L kit cheap on eBay, but it is missing the rotor head. So I will be a buyer if/when you get this worked out.

If anyone reading this has a partial, broken, incomplete, or left over from another project rotorhead and/or blades, let me know. It looks like I will be needing one.

Edited by HeavyArty

I'm all for a new rotorhead. I just picked up a MH-60L kit cheap on eBay, but it is missing the rotor head. So I will be a buyer if/when you get this worked out.

If anyone reading this has a partial, broken, incomplete, or left over from another project rotorhead and/or blades, let me know. It looks like I will be needing one.

Gino, I have a box full of these left over parts from project master builds. I know I have a complete rotor head. I have some blades but I will have to see how many I have.

Chris M

Update: I have all the pieces, rotor mast and 4 blades. You can have them.

Edited by Chief Snake
  • 1 year later...

Well, with CC MH-60M set on hold, I'm starting to play around with building a new head. Can somebody do me a favor and mic out the width of the model's main rotor hub.

I'm at work and can't, otherwise I would do it myself.

Once I find out the size, I can order what size tubing I need to build it.

Thanks,

Tim

i'll be following this one for sure. i built a h-60 rotor head a few years ago in 3d, but it is not nearly as accurate as it needs to be. i might revisit it as i too have been wanting a better rotor head. the first OCD thing to tackle is that the arms actually point up from center by a few degrees, not straight out as depicted in the kit. good luck, i look forward to seeing how you solve this problem! :)

-Ramon

I believe I have a solution to the Hirss issue that I have been working on with my Sierra model and it looks like it is a easy fix and wont take alot of time to do and no additional parts. I am working on the tip right now and will publish it here in a few days. Erick

i'll be following this one for sure. i built a h-60 rotor head a few years ago in 3d, but it is not nearly as accurate as it needs to be. i might revisit it as i too have been wanting a better rotor head. the first OCD thing to tackle is that the arms actually point up from center by a few degrees, not straight out as depicted in the kit. good luck, i look forward to seeing how you solve this problem! :)/>

-Ramon

IIRC, each spindle hub angles up 8 degrees.

I just ordered the tubing needed for the hub. Now on to the swashplate. Preaching at my church Sunday morning, then I'll be able to start on making the swashplate. It will be a combination of kit parts, PE and scratchbuilding new details.

Tim

• 3 months later...

Yeah, it will be nice to see what become of this project. Come on Tim :thumbsup:

To be honest, I'm bit surprise that someone with CAD skills and a 3D printer hasn't create a detail rotor head already. Considering how much stuff is coming out every month that is direct result of these computer programs. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I haven't been ignoring you guys or that this is a dead post, but life is WAY!!!! to hectic anymore for me.

I did manage to work a little bit on the detail set while on lunch at work.

1- The swashplate on the real H-60 only has 3 connecting links, but on the model there are 4. ( The small oval holes in the inside of the model piece). So I got out my handy fancy Dremel and ground away 1 of the links leaving the correct 3. Sorry for the bad lighting and backdrop, Its a table.

1128150346_zps8123laln.jpg

I've also been working on the rotor hub itself. I cut off the kit hubs and replaced them with styrene tubing glued in place at the proper 8 degree upward pitch.

1128150351_zpsgzzq7uyr.jpg

It might not be much, but it's progress!

Hope to have more tomorrow night!

Tim

I believe I have a solution to the Hirss issue that I have been working on with my Sierra model and it looks like it is a easy fix and wont take alot of time to do and no additional parts. I am working on the tip right now and will publish it here in a few days. Erick

Erick,

Did you ever come up with a fix? One of the reasons I've never built a 1/35 Hawk is that the HIRSS is so badly botched. I know Norbert was able to correct this on one of his old builds but it was just too much work. Very curious what you came up with.

Don't think I haven't been ignoring you guys or that this is a dead post, but life is WAY!!!! to hectic anymore for me.

I did manage to work a little bit on the detail set while on lunch at work.

1- The swashplate on the real H-60 only has 3 connecting links, but on the model there are 4. ( The small oval holes in the inside of the model piece). So I got out my handy fancy Dremel and ground away 1 of the links leaving the correct 3. Sorry for the bad lighting and backdrop, Its a table.

1128150346_zps8123laln.jpg

I've also been working on the rotor hub itself. I cut off the kit hubs and replaced them with styrene tubing glued in place at the proper 8 degree upward pitch.

1128150351_zpsgzzq7uyr.jpg

It might not be much, but it's progress!

Hope to have more tomorrow night!

Tim

inspiring work dude, you are raising the standard! Hopefully by January i can actually get back to my hawk builds so keep posting so i can see how its done and follow along! :D/>

-Ramon

Just a little progress update.

1207150025_zpskduxtocs.jpg

I made 1 of 3 connecting link rod ends that attach the stationary swashplate to the forward, aft and lateral links on the bridge.-still 2 more to go!

I also added sheet styrene strips onto the lower PC rod attachment points, puttied and sanded to shape. I still have to make the other 3 though, wish me luck.

Sorry about the backdrop, I can't bring my cutting mat to work, it won't fit in my bag!

At least I'm getting to work on my model!!!😁

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench