1/35 scale H-60 Rotor Head

Ok, now I have a better backdrop I think.

Well, I finally finished modifying the lower PC rod attachment points and scratchbuilt the 3 connecting link rod ends inside the swashplate.

1208150447_zpsr4b7ltuq.jpg

Next up, the rotating scissor swashplate mounts!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Ramon, all I did was cut some .020 styrene sheets into strips a little longer and wider than the PC rod points on the swashplate. I then glued them on using Tamiya extra thin cement. Once it was dry, I sanded them down flush and shaped them to the kit part.

After that I used Tamiya putty to fill in any open space and sanded to shape.

Lastly, I took a flat needle file and ran it in between the new points to file away the kit plastic that is stuck in there.

As far as the connecting link rod ends, I used the same strips and sanded the edges until the strip would fit in the hole (I turned the strip upside down and checked its fit).

Once I knew it would fit, I sanded the top into a half round shape and them cut the strip just a few millimeters down from the top and glued them in.

Here's a tip I learned a long time ago for handling very small pieces. Put some saliva on the end on a knife blade(don't lick it on, there is a blade there!) and then touch the part and it will stick to the tip of the knife so you can place it where it needs to go!

Hope this helps!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Here's a tip I learned a long time ago for handling very small pieces. Put some saliva on the end on a knife blade(don't lick it on, there is a blade there!) and then touch the part and it will stick to the tip of the knife so you can place it where it needs to go!

Hope this helps!

Tim

I use the flattened end of a cocktail stick for that. :-)

Steve

Edited by jacksdad

Started to work on the rotating scissor mounts. The swashplate is about .080 tall and I didn't have any .080 strip styrene, so I glued together 2 strips of .040 and then glued those pieces to the swashplate in their respective places.

1209150250_zpsszlrj4id_edit_1449647489820_zpsfou92ukt.jpg

Above the piece is a 1/35 scale drawing of the swashplate with the scissor mounts drawn into the graph paper for size comparison and mount location.

In order to find the mounts, I layed the model piece into the paper and made my marks on the model piece where they needed to go. Now to just let them dry and then I'll begin sanding to shape.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Great progress Tim and the tip about how to handle small parts. I'll remember that for sure. Now, I can tell you drew the drawing on the graph paper. What did you use as a guide to get 1/35 ratio? Was it kit part then added detail from reference from photographs or do you have actual drawings of this area from the real thing? TIA

Mike

After a while of shaping and sanding and stopping to look at my reference pics, one of the scissor mounts is finished. 1209150531_zpsjgyrgic9.jpg

Here's a closer look.

1209150532_zpsszuivopo.jpg

And yes I plan on fixing the gouge mark on the inner ring. That was caused by cleaning up where I had dremeled and sanded.

Until next time!

Tim

Great work Tim!

Btw, can you please clarify something for me. Looking at the reference pictures,rotor head of MH-60 is ordinary black paint. But everyone that build it,paint it

with some metalizer paint,like Dark Iron or simular. Which is correct in the end?

Btw, can you please clarify something for me. Looking at the reference pictures,rotor head of MH-60 is ordinary black paint. But everyone that build it,paint it

with some metalizer paint,like Dark Iron or simular. Which is correct in the end?

It isn't really just black. As you can see below, there are many different shades of paint and bare metal on the rotor head. Most of the parts are treated in a metal finish called Parkerization, which can vary from black to gray to a green-gray, etc. Some are more green, while others are more grey or black. No two are exactly the same; each varies a bit. Some have chromed shafts. while others have parkerized shafts, etc...

DSCF0094.jpg

12.jpg

4727933676_44b08f0d04_b.jpg

aftbridge.jpg

While working on my swashplate, I also began redoing/scratchbuilding the main rotor hub.

The kit part shows the hubs flat while on the real H-60, the hubs actually point up at an 8 degree angle. So here's what I've got as the beginning of a new rotor hub.

1212152324_zps1pzxjfwv_edit_1449983441904_zpsnclweku7.jpg

Here's a diagram to show the upward pitch of the spindle hubs:

575-30-740924_zpsmpm0kmxu.jpg

Tim

Hopefully maybe someone will want to sell this as an aftermarket set when it's all completed!

There's still a long way to go before it's all finished. When it's all said and done, I hope to have a new detailed hub complete with spindles, a correct shaft extension, a new swashplate, and some new PC rod ends for the PC rods, and a new rotating scissor assembly.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Some more progress.

I finally have the rotating scissor mounts done. I still need to drill the holes on the mounts. Next up, drawing up and making the lower pressure plate and gluing on the nuts and bolt heads.

12171522382_zpsvuoaeqvq_edit_1450410099071_zps7kddghcn.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally some more work done. I scratchbuilt the mast/uni-ball assembly that the lower pressure plate and the mast extension sit on. The pressure plate and mast extension will be built next. I'm trying to make the swashplate to where it can be cast in resin as a whole assembly.

1226150526a_zpsaqhzp025_edit_1451126092357_zpslbnquji8.jpg

1226150527_zpsdcyr6270_edit_1451126121837_zpspyfah8hc.jpg

That's all for now. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 2 weeks later...

Oliver, is this pic good enough for you?

The scissor mounting links are directly opposite from each other if it helps!

1209150250_zpsszlrj4id_edit_1449647489820_zpsfou92ukt.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you've done.

I'm waiting on some tubing to come in from hobbylinc, and some nuts and bolts from Switzerland so no progress on the rotor head.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 6 months later...

This thread is still alive, but just a little progress, so just bear with me and have patience. I began to scratchbuild the lower pressure plate the the rotating scissors are attached to. I just need to SB the ends of the plate and then the scissors themselves.

QU6iq56.jpg

It's not much, but I'm still plugging away at it. Like I said, be patient.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 1 year later...