Squadron bashing

has really got to stop. It's absurd how many posts are dedicated to bemoaning that fact that someone didn't get the kit they wanted during a sale because it was out of stock or someone has a lower price on something and therefore Squadron is terrible or whatever.

I'd suggest that the fact that they hold sales at all should be seen as a good thing. But the amount of complaining about how the kit you wanted wasn't on sale or the overall selection or depth of discount wasn't what you wanted has been pretty bad. The first Squadron Black Friday sale was among the best sales I've ever seen. But it seems like we now expect the same magnitude of opportunity. We take it for granted that we'll get offered whatever we want for half off. But when I'm disappointed because all the YF-23s sold out at full retail before they could go on sale (yeah, I wanted one of those and waited too long for it) I don't think I have the right to complain about the retailer for not offering me a good enough deal. And yes, prices will vary between retailers. Squadron has quite a few kits cheaper than Sprue and Sprue has many cheaper than Squadron. And LuckyModel often beats them both. Doesn't mean that any of them are bad retailers.

The sense of entitlement here lately is astonishing.

If we don't find a particular deal satisfactory we are of course not obligated to buy. Consider though that many might find it nice that the deals are offered at all.

Matt (who notes that a 1/32 Revell Lynx could be had for $12 this year which is pretty spectactular.)

The forums that are being posted are done so to advise others that Squadron is not actually selling products at a discounted price as they claim. If you buy from squadron and you like it good for you. However, there is nothing wrong with pointing out that certain items are available for less expensive prices somewhere else. Now, frankly speaking, if you raise your prices by 30% then say you are having a 30% off sale, those items are not on sale. It's not a good business strategy from the customer point of view. Granted Squadron can do whatever it likes, free market and all, but Squadron's business practice of raising prices then saying they are discounting is dishonest and misleading at best. You state that it is good that Squadron holds sales, and it would be if so many items weren't out of stock. What's the point of having a sale if most of the popular items are not even in stock? I'm not talking about one or two kits, I'm talking about entire manufactures completely sold out and specific scale items for some manufactures as well. If you went to a store that offered sales that in reality were not sales at all and on top of that items that you were looking for are always out of stock, would you go there again? Would you tell your friends and family not to bother to go there? How is writing a post about a Squadron's business practice any different than a post about a review of a kit and the review states that kit is terrible and a waste of money? So these post do not have to and should not stop. My time and money are valuable to me and if someone takes the time to inform me on how I can save on both I am very greatful.

Edited by gonzalo

But your wrong,you speak of them raising the prices across the board before the sale but back it up with nothing, I had a wish list of over 20 top name brand items and not one of the prices changed to the full retail, and actually a few went down, and after the criticism of conveniently marking items out of stock I continued to monitor these kits and found none to have magically reappear as in stock. Same with price, I actually saw some go higher, the GWH Mig-29 sold for $80 rose to $89 after the sale. Out of stock items were out of stock weeks and months before the sale, and also Sq had sales leading up to the big sale, that might be a reason for some products going out of stock, people jumped on them knowing they might not have a chance and were willing to pay a bit more.

I think Titan pretty much nailed it, not everyone got what they wanted, but there were deals there to be had.

Curt

Some of the prices were pretty good, and in stock (for example, the Ibex Texan II), but I did not order from them because the shipping was just outrageous. I believe that is the fault of the USPS, though, and not Squadron.

Squadron: $17 (about) for the kit. $35 for shipping to Canada.

Lucky Models: $33 (10% sale until end December) for the kit. $8 for air parcel shipping to Canada.

Difference: about $11 in favour of the Hong Kong based business. To me, a no-brainer. It is quite unfortunate that shipping is so expensive, because otherwise I would do business with Squadron.

ALF

People are bashing them because as of late they place kits on sale that they havent been in stock for three or four months. You can not place something on sale and not have them and think people are going to be happy about it. Here in Texas at one time the AG went after retilers like Walmart, Target and Kmart for having sales and not stocking the items they were putting on sale. They got fined by the state and told if it happens again they would fine them higher. They were trying the bait and switch routine and the people would not put up with it. I hope Squadron is not doing the same thing!

To be honest, I don't look much at the "retail price" when buying models on the web. I typically go to a few places that I normally shop at (SB, LM, Squadron, Scale Hobbyist, Tower) and look at the final price, factoring in shipping, and go wherever makes the most sense to me. If someone doesn't have a kit in stock, and I want it now, I'll simply go elsewhere.

Regarding bait and switch, shopping on the web is different than in a physical store. When you take the time to drive somewhere and talk to a sales person, there is a little more pressure to buy something there so it doesn't seem like you wasted your time. If you are shopping on the web, you just click the search or address bar and you are instantly someplace else.

People are bashing them because as of late they place kits on sale that they havent been in stock for three or four months. You can not place something on sale and not have them and think people are going to be happy about it. Here in Texas at one time the AG went after retilers like Walmart, Target and Kmart for having sales and not stocking the items they were putting on sale. They got fined by the state and told if it happens again they would fine them higher. They were trying the bait and switch routine and the people would not put up with it. I hope Squadron is not doing the same thing!

The only problem with that is that the local stores aren't the ones that come up with the sales ads. I worked at Target for three years and those ads would be created weeks and sometimes a month in advance. The ad would show up at the store in a normal delivery truck before each weeks sale. Often times we would have no idea what was in the ads until the week of the sale since they were time sensitive and couldn't be opened. Also we had nothing to do with the ordering of stock. That part was completely automated by the company.

Like Dave, i just look at what i'll pay. Sale or not. If it is a great deal, but i do not really need/want it, then i still don't buy it. Squadron has had better sales in the past, but this was still a good one. Sorry if you had hoped to get all of your wish list at a great discount and that it did not happen that way.

There's nothing wrong about customers voicing their opinions about their hobby, and their hobby suppliers. Squadron changed owners, and it's not the same. I didn't realize that until recently. This is good information.

has really got to stop. It's absurd how many posts are dedicated to bemoaning that fact that someone didn't get the kit they wanted during a sale because it was out of stock or someone has a lower price on something and therefore Squadron is terrible or whatever.

I'd suggest that the fact that they hold sales at all should be seen as a good thing. But the amount of complaining about how the kit you wanted wasn't on sale or the overall selection or depth of discount wasn't what you wanted has been pretty bad. The first Squadron Black Friday sale was among the best sales I've ever seen. But it seems like we now expect the same magnitude of opportunity. We take it for granted that we'll get offered whatever we want for half off. But when I'm disappointed because all the YF-23s sold out at full retail before they could go on sale (yeah, I wanted one of those and waited too long for it) I don't think I have the right to complain about the retailer for not offering me a good enough deal. And yes, prices will vary between retailers. Squadron has quite a few kits cheaper than Sprue and Sprue has many cheaper than Squadron. And LuckyModel often beats them both. Doesn't mean that any of them are bad retailers.

The sense of entitlement here lately is astonishing.

If we don't find a particular deal satisfactory we are of course not obligated to buy. Consider though that many might find it nice that the deals are offered at all.

Matt (who notes that a 1/32 Revell Lynx could be had for $12 this year which is pretty spectactular.)

Expressing an opinion, when it doesn't agree with yours, is not "bashing". It's expressing an opinion. If that's your definition of "bashing", then all I can tell you is that life is tough that way, and if your mom told you life was going to be all rosy and fair and that everybody would always agree with you, she lied.

Seriously?

don’t bash squadron?

I thought the whole point of this forum was to exchange Ideas and opinions, share knowledge and advice.

people "bash" companies all the time in here (Trumbyboss anyone?), with good reasons and sometimes with little reasons.

that’s what the internet is for!

Hell Even Eduard gets "bashed" from Jenns, I'm sure he has his reasons, you can agree with them or not.

Are we really this sensitive that we can't handle some one posting something negative?

yes I have gotten some great deals from them in the past.

Growing up in the Dominican republic my dad and I would always welcome the squadron flyer and the yearly catalog was like a bible to us.

But It is my humble opinion that Squadron has developed some shady business practices.

I thought I would share them.

In my opinion as they say back home "nos lo estan tratando de meter frio!"

google translate that.

Edited by Pep

Good Lord. Yep, I have to agree, if you dont want to see it, then dont read it. I am on the opposite side of the fence with the, guess who died, and I have a bad illness or my cat died people, as well....I actually feel for those folks and dont think it brings down the forum. We are a group.

But really....Who cares??!!! If they want to voice their opinion, let em. I was blown away that the Missouri I bought dropped $30 bucks after the sale and the Polar lights BTTF car I got for my daigher dropped $20.

You gonna get it if you are a bad trader....

But dang, just let people talk.

Just for grins I double checked, this is the General Forum...let em do what they want. There are many aircraft, armor, naval...etc...sections to look at. if you dont like GF, then dont read em. For those giving honest facts about sales or trades or bad trader...+1 here big fan. That way, I wont spend my money on your stuff.

-Jim

Edited by Liberator24

"...Squadron changed owners, and it's not the same..."

That explains everything to me, I'd wondered, now I know.

That makes sense to me on why. When did they change owners and who took over. I shop online with them for forever but stopped a few months ago because everything I wanted was never in stock. You cant order whats not in stock and if they are not restocking then they loose buisness.

I really do not see the difference between expressing an opinion about Squadron and expressing an opinion about a product. All of the individuals that think we are bashing do you say the same to those that express a negative opinion about a plastic kit? If you like Squadron continue shopping there to your hearts content. Ignore the post and move on. However, do bash people for expressing an opinion especially when it's intended to help or at the very least inform others.

If folks want to buy from squadron it's their choice, I've seen what seems to be much worse by what is paid for items on E-Bay. They may have what a modeler wants when all the favorites don't. I choose not to because the shipping is not to my liking, but that's my option. As for their sales practices, thinking they're pulling a fast one well it is one matter; proving it may be a bit more difficult. Squadron is a large outfit and advertise to match, look how fast the Eduard spitfire left Sprue Bros, the had it for about 10 days or so and guys had to wait for the next shipment. Not defending, just giving the benefit of doubt.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

How many of you have contacted Squadron to express your disappointment? I think they may participate on ARC, but if you feel strongly about Squadron's pricing, their inventory, or their sales, the best thing you can do is to contact them to tell them. Mind you, I'm not naive enough to think things will change dramatically, but a good company will evaluate their customers' feedback and consider making changes.

I'll even point you in the right direction.

http://www.squadron.com/Contact-s/1843.htm

How many of you have contacted Squadron to express your disappointment? I think they may participate on ARC, but if you feel strongly about Squadron's pricing, their inventory, or their sales, the best thing you can do is to contact them to tell them. Mind you, I'm not naive enough to think things will change dramatically, but a good company will evaluate their customers' feedback and consider making changes.

I'll even point you in the right direction.

http://www.squadron.com/Contact-s/1843.htm

I actually did contact them. I sent them an email the day of the Black Friday sale. I never even got an email telling to go to hell. Here is the email I sent:

To Whom it May Concern,

What is the point of having a sale if the majority of the items are sold out? What you have in stock are items that are not very popular. Why not restock then have a sale? If the purpose is to sell the items that no one wants then just put those items on sale and don't waste everyone's time searching an out of stock inventory.

Sincerely,

Gonzalo

Sprue Brothers:

TRP03701 1:200 Trumpeter USS Arizona BB-39 1941 #3701

MSRP $258.00

Our Price: $205.99

Savings: $52.01

(Out of Stock)

TRP03702 1:200 Trumpeter Bismarck Battleship

MSRP $400.00

Our Price: $299.99

Savings: $100.01

(Out of Stock)

TRP03705 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri BB-63

MSRP $475.00

Our Price: $332.49

Savings: $142.51

(Out of Stock)

Scale Hobbyist

USS Arizona BB-39

In Stock

Ships in 1-3 business days

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3701

1/200 scale

$269.95 $179.99

Add to Cart

Add to watch listGerman Bismarck Battleship

In Stock

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3702

1/200 scale

$399.99 $263.99

Add to Cart

Add to watch list

USS Missouri BB-63

In Stock

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3705

1/200 scale

$479.95 $299.99

Squadron Sale Today

1:200 Trumpeter USS Arizona BB-39 1941 - TR03701

List Price: $257.99

Our Price: $192.99

Web Only Sale Price: $153.99

In Stock

1:200 Trumpeter Bismarck - TR03702

List Price: $399.99

Web Only Sale Price: $239.99

In Stock

1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri BB-63 - TR03705

List Price: $474.99

Our Price: $427.49

Web Only Sale Price: $284.99

In Stock

Sprue Brothers:

TRP03701 1:200 Trumpeter USS Arizona BB-39 1941 #3701

MSRP $258.00

Our Price: $205.99

Savings: $52.01

(Out of Stock)

TRP03702 1:200 Trumpeter Bismarck Battleship

MSRP $400.00

Savings: $100.01

(Out of Stock)

TRP03705 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri BB-63

MSRP $475.00

Our Price: $332.49

Savings: $142.51

(Out of Stock)

Scale Hobbyist

USS Arizona BB-39

In Stock

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3701

1/200 scale

$269.95 $179.99

Add to Cart

Add to watch listGerman Bismarck Battleship

In Stock

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3702

1/200 scale

$399.99 $263.99

Add to Cart

Add to watch list

USS Missouri BB-63

In Stock

Trumpeter Models

Stock # TRP 3705

1/200 scale

$479.95 $299.99

Squadron Sale Today

1:200 Trumpeter USS Arizona BB-39 1941 - TR03701

List Price: $257.99

Our Price: $192.99

Web Only Sale Price: $153.99

In Stock

1:200 Trumpeter Bismarck - TR03702

List Price: $399.99

Web Only Sale Price: $239.99

In Stock

1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri BB-63 - TR03705

List Price: $474.99

Our Price: $427.49

Web Only Sale Price: $284.99

In Stock

Oh snap... See it can go either way for both sites.