What font is used on the CF-18?

I'm playing around with adobe illustrator and attempting to make my own paint stencils for a CF-18 project and I can't seem to find what font is used on the hornet itself for the numbers, the CANADA logo, etc. If anybody could help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Dale

No RCAF lettering of any era is a standard font. The specifications are in the DND documentation and you have to create the characters yourself. As for the Canada wordmark, that's on the government of Canada website, but there are slight variations in stroke depending on use.

The second and third links on this page: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/dlcat-military-fonts-19/.

I've seen those fonts and there are errors in them. They don't line up with the official drawings very well at all. The '3' is quite off.

Edited by RiderFan

Well, I'll see what happens with the suggested fonts. I believe I have found a book that will tell me more exact info. If nothing else I believe I can use the trace function in illustrator to get what I need from photo's or what vector graphics I can locate on the net. Its an interesting process. I'm glad I've started it no matter what the outcome.

Dale

The other thing you could do is buy some decals from the usual high-quality suppliers:

Canuck Models (look at Rider Fan's signature block for the link)

Leading Edge Models

Canmilair

ALF

The second and third links on this page: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/dlcat-military-fonts-19/.

The 3rd one (RCAF_60O_ATH) looks similar to the data stencils on this early F-4 Phantom:

http://jetpilotoverseas.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/e-d-francis-jr-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4-phantom-ii-test-pilot-1966/

Edited by JackMan

MY bad. To my untrained eye, they looked pretty similar.

Let's all get along now :cheers:/>

Btw, ( and apologies for hijacking this thread) what is that black, canvas-type thingy on the rear canopy of that F-4 Phantom in my link above? And I wonder if it's just me but does there seem to be some sort of railing/cover on the inside of the rear canopy (just aft of the canvas thingy) that's not normally seen on Phantoms? The data stencil seems to suggest it is an F-4C, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JackMan

what is that black, canvas-type thingy on the rear canopy of that F-4 Phantom in my link above?

Looks like either a blind flying hood or a anti-flash curtain for use with, eh "special weapons".

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre