One for the Old Schoolers

Desolation Boulevard, one of my all time favorites.

One of the most underrated 70's rock albums ever. If you are a fan of 70's rock then Desolation Boulevard must be one in your music library.

Also another very underrated Canadian rock album from a great Canadian band, April Wine's, Stand Back album.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

Robert Plant didn't do too bad on "The Big Log" and with the Honey drippers :lol:/> what a name huh, but I'd love to hear them do "Kashmir" or "Living loving maid", and of course "Stairway to Heaven".

Ok now you are naming songs Greywolf! I would love to hear The Rain Song or Ramble On by Zepplin live. I mean if I got to choose one song(s).

I was born in 1975. For some reason I have always like the music of the 60s and 70s instead of contemporary music for the most part. I f I had the ability to travel back in time and see bands in their prime, it would be

Grateful Dead (with pig pen in say 1971 or 72)

Deep Purple (2x once in say 1972 with Ian Gillan then in 1973 with David Coverdale and Glen Hughes)

The Who in 1974

Crosby, Stils, Nash & Yound in 1974

Led Zeppelin between 72 and 75

While some of these bands are still around, it is just not the same, they are using different equipment and the music does not have that same cool sound as it did in the 70s. I chose the years indicated, because the catalog of songs is wider than when the bands were what many would consider the best years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the only band left standing that is still able to play at a high professional level is Rush. The rest, although still "touring" are shells of their former selves. Only Rush have kept their chops in shape. They have a few more years left, but when they go, that will be the last connection with the classic 70s bands.

This is so, so true...

I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2007, and of course they were just a sort of reconstituted shell already back then, and that was before Billy Powell passed away. As far as I know they're still touring, but of the originals, only Gary Rossington is left... almost more like a Skynyrd tribute band nowadays...

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely would love to have seen Pink Floyd in their heyday.

I saw them back in 1994 and it was great. I missed the opportunity to see Roger Waters when he swung through these parts a few years ago, but my mom saw one of his shows in Canada and said it was fantastic.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing David Bowie in a mid-late 70s time frame, once he was done with the Ziggy Stardust stuff.

I'd also like to have seen Fleetwood Mac in the pre Stevie Nicks era. I've never understood what anyone saw in her from a musical standpoint; If Bob Dylan were a woman, she's exactly what he'd sound like.

As much as I like Zeppelin, I don't think I'd want to see them come back. The more reunions I see of the old bands that are just a combination of rustiness and shameless cash grabbing, the more respect I have for people like Robert Plant who are in no hurry to make any sort of permanent reunion and are very sparing about any one off reunions that they do.

In a lot of ways, I have more respect for Robert Plant as a solo musician. He doesn't live in the past or rest on his laurels; even when he performs an old Zeppelin number these days, he tries to find ways to make it sound fresh and different.

I saw Plant on the tour for "Manic Nirvana" and it was great. He did three or four Zeppelin songs for an encore, they sounded a bit different but definitely fresher than if he had gone for a faithful playing of the originals.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

I would go with two groups I have not seen in concert before, in order of preference:

1. Deep Purple

2. The Rolling Stones

Others that would do (but I've seen them all in concert over the years):

Steve Miller Band

The Eagles

BTO

Styx

Rush

Supertramp

CCR

Tomorrow morning on the way to work, I will tune in to 70s on 7 on Sirius/XM, as usual! I'm with Sony Ken on this one.

ALF

You know, Rush is still super active, continues to play at a high level, creates new music, and regularly tours. They have also put out four or five three hour concert DVDs since 2004 or so. They have maintained a high water mark in their careers for a LONG time now. I am not sure how much they have left in the take, but as Jack Black said during the Snakes and Arrows tour, they seem to have an unending supply of "rocket sauce."

Edit: I see I already chimed in for Rush back in December!

Edited by DutyCat

You know, Rush is still super active, continues to play at a high level, creates new music, and regularly tours. They have also put out four or five three hour concert DVDs since 2004 or so. They have maintained a high water mark in their careers for a LONG time now. I am not sure how much they have left in the take, but as Jack Black said during the Snakes and Arrows tour, they seem to have an unending supply of "rocket sauce."

Edit: I see I already chimed in for Rush back in December!

Yep. I saw Rush in December 2012. Still incredible! Probably the best tour of theirs that I've been to.

It would look like this:

Billy Preston - Electric Piano

John Fogerty - Guitar

George Harrison - Guitar

Brian May - Guitar

Paul McCartney - Bass

John Bonham - Drums

Their setlist would be like this:

1. Jet

2. You're My Best Friend

3. Get Down Make Love

4. Get Back

5. A Day In The Life

6. Rocket Man

7. Don't Stop Me Now

8. Band On The Run

9. Something

10.Good Times Bad Times

Edited by Exhausted

If you could bring back a Super Group from the 1970's to play a command concert for you; which group would you back to play that one night?. I'm not making this a poll; there are far to many choices. I'm not thinking one hit wonders like Spirit for instance, I'm thinking of groups who started back then had numerous hits and albums that hit gold/platinum sales and are still almost/if not as popular now as back then.

My choices would be Steely Dan, War, Aerosmith and Earth, Wind, and Fire, America and maybe the GFRR B)/> .

Now these groups made {music} in the true sense of the word.

All you people are forgetting the Captain and Tennille!

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)