Decal - 'Dee Kal' - or 'Deckle' ??

After reading a couple of recent posts about decals - it got me thinking - how do we all pronounce it ???

I say 'Deckle' - I'm not sure if its a British thing ?? - any other Brits care to chip in ???

Some say 'Dee Kal' - which is probably more correct as Decal comes from the French word décalcomanie.

Or... should it be 'Day Kal' ???

Over to anyone else with time on their hands........ :whistle:/>

Ken (waiting for paint to dry...)

PS - Those who say 'Waterslide Transfers' or 'Transfers' need not apply :rolleyes:/>

Edited by Flankerman

I m not a native english speaker, so it will not be me to determine HOW it is pronounced correctly. But, I ask Mas Internet, and there is Mas Leo, the online dictionary. And you can listen there to every word how it is pronounced.

Just try:

http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=decal&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

But I don't tell you here if it's dee-kal or deckel! hehe :wasntme:

Emmasaying must be American.

Americans say DEE KAL.

Brits say DEKKLE, and Canadians should as well. I suspect other Commonwealth countries fall into that camp. BTW, the LE in Brit/Canadian spelling is an "EL" sound, just like "RE" (i.e. F-86 Sabre) is an "ER" sound, of French origin.

As mentioned by Mingwin, the French "décalques" is pronounced DAY-CALK; that's why to me DEKKLE is correct. The "é" makes an "AY" sound, not an "EE" sound.

ALF (the Canadian pronunciation hardliner) :woot.gif:

Hmmm. I guess it should be something like 'Der-cal' or maybe 'Deh-cal'...given that it derives from a French word for an image reproduction technique (decalquer(v) -to copy by tracing) that in turn appears to come from calquer(v) (to trace, reproduce, copy, imitate, etc.)

Since the 'de-' part would mean 'of' in French, rather than the negation or reversal of the term (which would be pronounced 'dee', as in dehumidify, deconstruct, etc.), that's how it oughta sound.

OK Pops, can I watch TV now...?

Edited by ChippyWho

To be technically correct, they're transfers.

Problem solved :)

The word "decal" comes from the French "décalcomanie" (literally decal mania), which stems from a fad in the 1800s where people would varnish images onto various objects.

There is no "correct" way to pronounce it in English. Whether you say "DEE-kal", "DEK-ul", or "Throatwarblermangrove", as long as your meaning is transmitted, it's all good.