When I returned to modeling a couple of years ago—after a hiatus of about 60 years—I had no idea of what glue to use. The last time I had bought glue, I was building airplanes with balsa wood and paper, and there were two choices of glue: Testors Type A (in the white tube) and Testors Type B (yellow tube). The only hobby shop in the small community where I now live in Alaska had several types of glue, none familiar to me, so I asked the guy behind the counter what people used to build plastic models. He sold me some liquid Testors and some fast-drying, "thick" CA. That's why the joints on the seven models I built don't look anywhere near as good as the ones I built after discovering Tamiya Extra Thin and learned how to use it correctly. There may be hundreds of ways to skin a cat, but this is my choice, at least for now.

Mikro mark "samestuff" also tends to evaporate at an alarming rate, and unless you`re putting out atleast one kit a month don`t bother. I`ve used Tamiya extra thin for a long time. I think many modellers like this one. Ofcourse having a few different types of plastic cement is always a good idea. The ones with the hypodermic needle tips/points are laborous to use as they clog up from time to time. There are plenty of them around. For the thicker type glues, this is one of my favourites. it`s been around for a long time. Not my intention of leading you onto evilbay but have a peek :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vollmer-6117-Super-Vol-xp-Kunststoff-Spezialkleber-23-g-226-10-kg-/400581676980?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=UkoP%252F99%252BMJaq5NyVWzQ5Z%252BJhhrI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hey Guys,

Yes, Tenax is once again available. It is NOT widely available online (just a few hits on Ebay) probably due to the fact that it is a glue and USPS and other carriers restrictions. But I have been in three (3) hobby shops in the last few months and all of them had it "in stock". Two of them were Hobbytown USA's and the third was a "mom and pop" shop. I asked the guy at the "mom and pop" store if he had any trouble getting the stuff and he told me "NO". He said his distributor has plenty of it, but the demand for it was stripping his order process. He had only been ordering two or three cases at a time, but the three bottles that he had at the time were all he had until he got in the 12 cases in his latest order. That is 144 bottles. He said maybe that will last a little longer than a few days. It is available again. HTH!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Hey Guys,

Yes, Tenax is once again available. It is NOT widely available online (just a few hits on Ebay) probably due to the fact that it is a glue and USPS and other carriers restrictions. But I have been in three (3) hobby shops in the last few months and all of them had it "in stock". Two of them were Hobbytown USA's and the third was a "mom and pop" shop. I asked the guy at the "mom and pop" store if he had any trouble getting the stuff and he told me "NO". He said his distributor has plenty of it, but the demand for it was stripping his order process. He had only been ordering two or three cases at a time, but the three bottles that he had at the time were all he had until he got in the 12 cases in his latest order. That is 144 bottles. He said maybe that will last a little longer than a few days. It is available again. HTH!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Sony

Is it the same stuff as in old original or is it a changed formula?

Southern,

There is a post here on ARC where I stated about meeting the guy who originally started making Tenax was going to retire and that he was looking for someone to "sell the business" out to because he was going to retire. The post also explained that this must not have happened due to the fact that Tenax was no longer available until recent months. See the guy that was producing the "old" stuff was making and distributing it from Howenwald, TN which is just north of my home in North Alabama. The bottles have a different location (can't remember the name) now as a manufactor/distribution point. My assumption is that somebody bought the old guy out, and I also assume that due to the high price that the guy was asking for the "business". Someone would be real stupid to pay that high a price for the secret formula and the manufacture/distribution rights and then not produce the product exactly like it was before. If anybody knows anything different, please let me know. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

EDIT: Look at this post of mine in this thread. This was posted earlier this year. Cheers!

Edited by SonyKen