AlphaJet in 1/72 by Heller

A quick and dirty build to prepare myself for the upcoming Aggressor GB (OK, I needed some model to build until I can start my F-18 in aggressor-scheme and didn´t wanted to simply wait without modelling until the beginning of the year).

The Heller-kit is perfect for my cause - not too much parts and it can be build without doing too much work on the parts.

IMG_4134_zps2568892c.jpg

I added some weight into the nose, so that I can be sure it´s not a tail-sitter. But I have the feeling it would sit straight without it, too.

IMG_4135_zps0703ca40.jpg

The cockpit has no details, I simply added some round gauges with a fine-liner.

IMG_4136_zps9ebf7257.jpg

Just a few days after beginning the jet is ready for painting:

IMG_4147_zps0ffab614.jpg

IMG_4148_zps46e91dfc.jpg

And since I´m going to do it in the Aggressor-scheme of the canadian "TopAces"-company (I know they have changed name some years ago), a basic coating in white has been applied.

IMG_4149_zpsfc2eb23f.jpg

I will do it in the "blue" color-scheme.

IMG_4150_zps4a0f9297.jpg

HAJO

I already did! But I will check it once again, just to look for those things that are important for my build now.

This is the current status, I painted the white and grey areas of the camoflage.

IMG_4162_zps59651c8a.jpg

IMG_4164_zps5b4e8c9f.jpg

HAJO

Hajo

I'm glad I stumbled on your build. I was wondering how the Heller kit went together - looks not too bad for 1/72. I like your choice of colour for the light grey - it is a lighter one than I used, and I think it's closer to the proper colour for Top ACES. Where are you getting decals in this scale?

ALF

As for decals, I will have to look in my spare-box and also try to print one or two which are in black color on my own. At the end the aircraft will probably miss some stencils, but I hope no one will notice... ;)

HAJO

ALF, do you have an idea what font the markings like "C-BITA" and the big numbers are?

HAJO

HAJO

Sorry, I have no idea about the font. Your best bet is to find good pics online and try to copy the numbers and letters somehow.

ALF

A last impression before the decals are on:

IMG_4179_zps1319f224.jpg

And now the finished bird with tanks and decals:

IMG_4185_zps3e191da3.jpg

As I said, I had to use some decals of the kit, some of m spare box, and some self-made ones. The big no. "084" (I know that this number is very likely not present on a real-life Top-Aces-bird...) is actually an item-no. from an Italeri-decal-sheet (UH-1B with sharkmouth). The original numbers have white around the black, but I didn´t have anything similar.

IMG_4186_zpsaa6e93d4.jpg

IMG_4187_zps56431cea.jpg

The number on the tail, the civil registration and the "Top Aces"-logo are all self-printed. It looks good on the blue, but not soooo well on the white, but I´ll keep it this way.

IMG_4188_zpsc8a74640.jpg

IMG_4189_zps36126c5c.jpg

In the end I´m quite happy with the result, and this small aircraft will make a nice addition to my aggressor-collection.

HAJO