A-6A Intruder seats

OK guys I am wondering when the A-6A had the GRU-7 seats installed, or the GRU-7's weren't installed until the "A's" where upgraded to "E's"...A-6A Intruder 155623 off the Impact Hobby Decal sheet.

imp_48005_p.jpg

Or I was thinking of this Intruder off this sheet A-6A Intruder 155616

imp_48001_p.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Thanks

Stanton

I completed A-6A Intruder 155623 VMFA-225 for a commission build last year using that same sheet.

My research was non-conclusive and I used the GRU-7s, but in hindsight the older style seat probably would have been correct.

Search these forums as I know we discussed it a bit.

According to the NATOPS that I have for the A-6A circa 1967, it states that the primary ejection seat was the GRU-5. The one that I have for an A-6A/B/C/E, circa 1973 has it split. If you are sitting in an Alpha you still have the GRU-5 and if you are in an Echo you have an GRU-7. Also, talking to some family friends who were seat mechanics in squadrons like VA-85 and VAH-123/VA-128; they state that the early seats were GRU-5 and weren't upgraded or replaced with the GRU-7 until the E started to arrive in the fleet.