Trumpeter New tools 1/48 F-106 Testshots

Has anybody seen a projected price tag on these?

Kit Number 2891

1/48 US F-106A Delta Dart Aircraft

MSRP $74.95

NEW TOOL! Used by the US Air Force and National Guard, the F106A was an improved version of the F102 and was equipped with the MA1 integrated Fire Control System, J75 afterburning turbojet, an enlarged intake, modified wings, and a tailpipe that modernized its operations for the time. The plane was used as an all-weather interceptor and could be flown completely by the MA1 after takeoff. Kit consists of over 190 parts on 11 sprues plus photo-etched details and features fuselage and wing with engraved panel lines.

Regards,

Kit Number 2891

1/48 US F-106A Delta Dart Aircraft

MSRP $74.95

I've always enjoyed the Monogram -106. This just cinches it for me. After work I'm going to stop off at my local Ma-n-Pa hobby shop and pick it up for $10. Yes. You heard/read right. That's ten whole dollars.

Eric

i am also sure it wont cost MSRP other than maybe at Squadron.

Quite true as this is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price and neither importer (Stevens or MMD) penalizes their clients for discounting (unlike another US distributor).

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

Jennings forgot to mention the Trumpeter Panther. Some of the parts breakdown is the same as Monogram's kit and one sprue is identical.

But they cocked up the canopy. It really is terrible. Made the kit unbuildable for me because of the horrid canopy. Not like there weren't thousands of photos of the Panther as well as the very nice Monogram -5 kit to get it right. Who's in charge there?

I'm starting to think there's some kind of industry doctrine that everybody has to bugger up one thing or another to get around patent/trademark issues from litigation-happy firms like LockMart and Sikorsky, and the New "Boeing" (which is really the same old McDonnell Doulas pile of crap in a shiny new wrapper).<br><br>Rub with that theory is that we see  such brazen screwups even in Officially Licensed Product kits... one would think that if you're shelling out the bucks to get the license, you'd want to be sure that you were doing it RIGHT, or the licensing partner would insist on it for Brand Image reasons.<br>

Edited by Diamondback Six

Would that be a negative? From all I have heard, the Monogram kit is pretty decent, minus the raised panel lines.

Sure hope they don't botch this one

Me too. I don't have a problem if they copy the Monogram kit and improve upon it. However, based on past experience, the chance of getting an improved version is slim.

• 4 months later...

from the photos posted on the twomikes facebook page, at first sight, it seems that they didn't copy the monogram kit.

front fuselage part (from the canopy to the nosecone) seems slightly less tapered than the monogram. the intake looks more "squarish" also.

still, i'm eager to see more about that kit!

Edited by mingwin

I have always loved the 106 but the Monogram kit was a pain to build, but I am a modeler and I've beaten a few into some nice models. I was really on the fence when Trumpeter announced their kit. But I never thought I would say this, but it looks like Trumpeter has a winner on their hands. Just think, you won't have to deal with the bad fit of the lower fuselage and destroying all the detail around it trying to fix it. I will have to get one and a B model when it comes out.

I got a hands on look at the 106 at the Nats...wicked nice kit. The surface detail looked awesome. I would have pulled the trigger on one ($60.00) but I'm waiting on the "B" model and bought a F-35C instead...I'll probably pick up an "A" model eventually too, who am I kidding.

I said it a few years back, that if Revell/Monogram wanted to get back into the fight that they should re-tool all their old Century Series kits from the 80s...instead Trumpeter (and other Chinese companies) has been coming along and banging out new kits of those same aircraft...I smell a new F-102 coming along real soon.

Edited by 82Whitey51

The intakes are just flat wrong.

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/f106a_williams.jpg

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050323-F-1234P-013.jpg

Are you sure there wasn't two different intakes used during the production run?I looked at hundreds of 106 pics and it seems they did,some have a gentle curve and some seem to be the opposite.

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/f106a_williams.jpg

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050323-F-1234P-013.jpg

Are you sure there wasn't two different intakes used during the production run?I looked at hundreds of 106 pics and it seems they did,some have a gentle curve and some seem to be the opposite.

The ones on 6451 do look a little more rounded than the ones on the 49th FIS jet.

The Trumpeter intake lips are too thick and the lower half is way off. The upper half doesn't look all that good, but the lower half is completely pooched. The guy who designed the intake on their F-100 kits must have had a hand in the F-106, too. Maybe one can fix them with some Milliput and a belt sander....

F-106intakes.jpg

Ben

The Trumpeter intake lips are too thick and the lower half is way off. The upper half doesn't look all that good, but the lower half is completely pooched. The guy who designed the intake on their F-100 kits must have had a hand in the F-106, too. Maybe one can fix them with some Milliput and a belt sander....

It's really too bad. There was another manufacturer who had reached out for assistance on a new 1/48 F-106 kit when Trumpeter announced theirs. Given this company's track record, it would have been an accurate, well done kit that wouldn't have needed a bunch of aftermarket fixes to correct stupid mistakes that could easily have been avoided. But now, as usual, the well is poisoned and they've scrapped their plans.

It's really too bad. There was another manufacturer who had reached out for assistance on a new 1/48 F-106 kit when Trumpeter announced theirs. Given this company's track record, it would have been an accurate, well done kit that wouldn't have needed a bunch of aftermarket fixes to correct stupid mistakes that could easily have been avoided. But now, as usual, the well is poisoned and they've scrapped their plans.

Yes.

[Rest of my rant deleted, since most of you already know how I feel about Trumpeter kits' "accuracy". ;) ]

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

I cant listen to the "well is poisoned" argument anymore. I swear I don't know why Burger King or Wendy's tries, because that darn McD's already came out with a hamburger. If said company had such a quality version of this kit planned then produce it. Sell it on the fact it's the best 106 out. When I'm shopping for a new kit, I shop around then purchase the best kit I can find. Your darn right I'll buy these new kits coming out from these second tier companies if they're the only ones producing a modern tooling of it. If Tamiya brought out a new tool 106 I'd buy it, but I can't so I'll buy this one instead.

Thats not a great argument. How many new tool century series fighters have come out at all in 1/32? I think your incorrectly associating one effect with a different cause. The larger question would be why have so many manufacturers been reluctant to step into the century series at all? Its not because the market has been ruined already. I honestly don't know what the larger issue is with these aircraft being kitted.

Edited by falcon20driver

Always great to hear people piss on stuff and complain about accuracy. I'd sure value their opinions better if they built something and posted it once in a while...

Yes, because we all know that facts doesn't matter, what matters is how many models whoever that states the facts has built. :rolleyes: And photographic evidence is also in the wrong unless whoever that posted it has built X models per year. Steel logic.