Trumpeter New tools 1/48 F-106 Testshots

It doesn't. Both Scott and David have posted this on other forums but I never caught it to correct them.

The parent company is Wasan Plastics of Macau. They own AA Models, Banner, Hobby Boss, MGM Plastic, Mini-hobby, and Trumpeter. Hobby Boss is the newest company and is based on R&D provided by the most successful of the previous companies, Trumpeter. Wasan Plastics does business with other companies and will take away previously announced kits from their companies to offer another outside company. This is the case when Merit International (a US distributor who has done a lot of business with Wasan Plastics selling their Witty Wings) asked for model kits. Previously announced Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits are now available through Merit International only.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

So it looks like that Hobbyboss and Trumpeter are owned by the same subsidary-Right?!?!

So they could easily share molds for plastic kits right? My original thought is that Hobbyboss and Trumpeter have probably copied other kits to make their molds? It seems this has happened with other companies too---Revells 1/32 Hunter comes to mind-I believe that has some of the Echelon kit in it. I have heard this from the source (Frank Brown).

To my eye it looks like Hobbyboss has relied heavily on the Grand Phoenix kits of the Demon and Fury to produce their kits (you can call this copying or research?/). They of course improved upon them with better tooling and fit....and the consensus is those are some of their best efforts-accuracy wise. I built the F-105 and it has its share of problems but a lot of them can be corrected with R-M parts and AM resin. as I showed in my photos I prefer the Hobbyboss tooling.

The F-80 does not seem to be copied fromt eh R-M kit ad it has its share of issues. I am just hoping that if thye did copy part of the R-M kit then that is a good thing Right?

Unless you work for the company and know for sure that is not the case then we are really ALL speculating-Isnt it fun?! But first rule of business is don't fix it if it aint broke and it would make sense to use existing models as guides to cut new molds esp. if they are accurate and easily copied...much cheaper than producing new masters and sending people from China to measure said examples-Just seems to be good business stance-Especially sicne copyright laws are far looser in China than in the USA or Europe.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Can somone please explain the obsession Americans have believing Trumpeters only good kits are copied?

If they where copying the F-105,F-80,F-84 would all be better and worse in some areas and i could go on through 98% of the entire catalogue.

Why woukd they cooy the Mono F-105 then not cooy the ventral strake, or the canopy mechanism on the Mono F-84F.

If you copy a kit you dont say copy the fuselage but not the detail parts.

If the F-14 was copied why are the intakes wrong yet they got in 32nd the canopy correct which Tamiya ballsed up.

Generic statements saying they copy stuff doesnt stack up with the plastic in boxes with inconsistencies between the kits they release and those we continually say they copy.

By definition and of the good stuff re,eased by two manufacturers should be similarly shaped and proportioned if they are both good hence the Demon.

The evidence clearly favors them doing there own thing making mistakes as they go leading to good and bad kits.

For me the only way ensure that a kit is a "copy" of another (I'm using quotes because I'm not sure that the word has a legal meaning when talking about kits... can the Academy U-2 be called a copy of the Airfix U-2 when it has recessed panel lines ?) is when shape issues of the original kit have been reproduced and that no existing reference material (but the original kit) has the shape issues.

I don't do 3D design work but I can imagine how the general shapes would be properly copied but not the details. I guess that a 3D scanner produces raw data (constellation of points in space, surfaces ?) that need to be heavily reworked to be converted in a set of 3D objects. Since the designer is not familiar with the characteric shapes of the subject, he may misinterpret the raw data and introduce small shape errors.

Edited by Laurent

We should be so lucky that they'd copy the Monogram kit. Then we'd at least get a reasonably accurate model without all of the stupid "features" Trumpeter, Kitty Hawk, et al. insist on adding, which do nothing but unnecessarily raise the parts count and add to the kit's fit issues.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Can somone please explain the obsession Americans have believing Trumpeters only good kits are copied?

All I can say is, look at the really truly excellent kits Trumpeter has put out (the ones that don't have any real kind of major goof in them, that can be built accurately right out of the box). Then compare those to the efforts of other companies for the same subject matter. And often the parts breakdown is virtually identical. I'm not saying they're a 100% 1:1 copy, but clearly there is "influence" in them:

1. Trumpeter 1/32 Me262 <<< >>> Tamiya 1/48 Me262

2. Trumpeter 1/32 SBD Dauntless <<< >>> Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD Dauntless

3. Trumpeter 1/32 TBM <<< >>> Accurate Miniatures 1/48 TBM

4. Trumpet Boss (whatever) 1/32 F-84 Thunderjet <<< >>> Tamiya and Revell 1/48 F-84 Thunderjets

I can tell you for an absolute fact that Chinese manufacturers (some, if not all) regularly obtain other companies' kits and 3D scan them. I've been told that in so many words by two of them in emails. 3D scanning does not equal copying necessarily (other than the basic outline of the parts), and much engineering still has to go into it, but it *is* done.

J

Edited by Jennings

All I can say is, look at the really truly excellent kits Trumpeter has put out (the ones that don't have any real kind of major goof in them, that can be built accurately right out of the box). Then compare those to the efforts of other companies for the same subject matter. And often the parts breakdown is virtually identical. I'm not saying they're a 100% 1:1 copy, but clearly there is "influence" in them:

1. Trumpeter 1/32 Me262 <<< >>> Tamiya 1/48 Me262

2. Trumpeter 1/32 SBD Dauntless <<< >>> Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD Dauntless

3. Trumpeter 1/32 TBM <<< >>> Accurate Miniatures 1/48 TBM

4. Trumpet Boss (whatever) 1/32 F-84 Thunderjet <<< >>> Tamiya and Revell 1/48 F-84 Thunderjets

I can tell you for an absolute fact that Chinese manufacturers (some, if not all) regularly obtain other companies' kits and 3D scan them. I've been told that in so many words by two of them in emails. 3D scanning does not equal copying necessarily (other than the basic outline of the parts), and much engineering still has to go into it, but it *is* done.

J

That, sure, would be nice if they always made when launching most of their kits, copying and improving kits from other brands. That would be much better than to develop their own projects and committing absurd and unacceptable errors such as those that occurred with their Hellcat, A-7 and F-80, just to point out some examples...

Another example: Monogram has an excellent 1/48 series of kits that only lose positions by being raised lines. "TrumpBoss" could simply copy these kits, redoing the lines as engraved ones, and would get champions that Monogram despises to redo. Who could release a new 1/48 B-29, B-24 or B-17 with recessed lines? I can not imagine any other than TrumpBoss ...

Edited by FCM
Who could release a new 1/48 B-29, B-24 or B-17 with recessed lines? I can not imagine any other than TrumpBoss ...

Well perhaps HK Models will start a Kiddy Range ?

Oh please... the only markings worthy of consideration on the F-106, as everybody knows, is the Michigan Six Pack :)/>/> I'll never, ever forgive ADC for sending our precious airplanes to, of all places, New Jersey...

56-0465-F-106A-131-CO-171-FIS-191-FG-MI-ANG-1977-Phil-Colin.jpg

Edited by Jennings