Trumpeter New tools 1/48 F-106 Testshots

With all due respect to all the other units this is what an F-106 Delta Dart should look like, the other Michigan Unit given its' props was sharp looking also, but ahem...that Dart just exudes cool. Add the CO's bands and Ai Chihuahua, mi amigos.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Oh please... the only markings worthy of consideration on the F-106, as everybody knows, is the Michigan Six Pack :)/>/>/> I'll never, ever forgive ADC for sending our precious airplanes to, of all places, New Jersey...

56-0465-F-106A-131-CO-171-FIS-191-FG-MI-ANG-1977-Phil-Colin.jpg

I doth beg to differ good sir....

572485-sn8.jpg?m=1391303248

Well since we are all playing the game of which 106 is better for markings I have to go with my favourite, the 49th FIS out of Griffis AFB. Actually got to see them perform when they were based there and had an up close and personal view of one at their open house. It was pretty cool to see the aircraft in their quick reaction hangers and the guard with a big gun telling us we can't go over there :)

It is also handy that I have a sheet from Microscale (yes Microscale) with the 49 FIS markings (sheet no. 48-181) but the green is pooched. However, for some reason Superscale chose to re-release the markings on sheet 48-1011 with a much better rendition of the green. Have that sheet too.

I seem to remember that I also have another F-106B sheet from Superscale I think (really have to find that one in my stash) which was interesting since there was no kit or conversion available at the time.

There was also a sheet by Experts-Choice, sheet no. 48-45 with F-106A/B markings from 177th FIG NJANG Last Flight markings. Really cool sheet. This was the one with a large signature panel and of course the large red chevrons on the tail. I think this will be my second one.

Anyway, after having said all of this I am excited with the 2 seater being released first and I am not getting rid of my 6 Monogram single seaters just yet.

Very nice... the only problem is the wrong scale.

I still have a bunch of the wondeful microscale 1/72 decals..... I'd like to have to opportunity to use them on a model before they break apart!

I hope they'll downscale it to 1/72

Very nice... the only problem is the wrong scale.

I still have a bunch of the wondeful microscale 1/72 decals..... I'd like to have to opportunity to use them on a model before they break apart!

I hope they'll downscale it to 1/72

Not the wrong scale just a different scale :)

As for Trumpeter downsizing, it seems that history has shown that they do. It might either be themselves or maybe Hobby Boss. Take for example the Trumpeter A-7E in 1/32nd scale. Trumpeter did not scale down the kit but the 1/48th and 1/72nd versions showed up by Hobby Boss WITH the same errors as the 1/32nd kit.

Time will tell but in the mean time I am happy with the two seater in the scale I build.

Edited by skyhawk174

I like the six pack markings BUT I so whant to build the last New Jersey F-106 with all the signatures on it!

Hey Vince see my post, decals exist by Experts-Choice in case you were not aware. Nice sheet. Now try and find it that would be the issue.

Not the wrong scale just a different scale :)/>/>

As for Trumpeter downsizing, it seems that history has shown that they do. It might either be themselves or maybe Hobby Boss. Take for example the Trumpeter A-7E in 1/32nd scale. Trumpeter did not scale down the kit but the 1/48th and 1/72nd versions showed up by Hobby Boss WITH the same errors as the 1/32nd kit.

Time will tell but in the mean time I am happy with the two seater in the scale I build.

I hope so... in fact they did that a number of times lately.

I suppose this has also to do with the fact that the master is cad-made (or something like that), so it might not be just a piece of cake to downscale it, but definitely less costly and hard than it was once.

Hey Vince see my post, decals exist by Experts-Choice in case you were not aware. Nice sheet. Now try and find it that would be the issue.

I do know about that sheet and I have done a Monogram kit with it years ago, but it would be nice to have a new "Fresh" printing of those markings. Alot of the Experts Choise sheets out there are showing their age and some that I have used in the past just fell apart.

I do know about that sheet and I have done a Monogram kit with it years ago, but it would be nice to have a new "Fresh" printing of those markings. Alot of the Experts Choise sheets out there are showing their age and some that I have used in the past just fell apart.

+1, the seem to have a good habit of yellowing rather nicely too

Thanks for that info Vince. Mine still looks good but maybe that is because it was in a box all nice and dark all these years. Now you have me worried about it falling apart but the only way I will figure that out is to try it.

I have many Scalemaster sheets that have yellowed over the years but no big loss for me as they were mostly generic numbers and letters in USN grey.

Edited by skyhawk174

Last time I talked with the folks at Bare-Metal Foil, EC's publisher, they're abandoning the decal business completely--no more reprints and when it's gone it's gone. Sent a note to Squadron asking them to consider negotiating to buy the line from 'em, but no response.

Having been working on a new series of F-106 sheets for the last few weeks, I can not help but agree.

Ok California ANG. I have the Microscale sheet for these markings but something did not look right with the bear. Kursad were you supplying the CALIFORNIA as separate in case we want to paint the red? Also, hope Cape Cod markings are in the mix.

Thanks for your hard work to keep us modellers happy with new markings :thumbsup:

Kursad were you supplying the CALIFORNIA as separate in case we want to paint the red? Also, hope Cape Cod markings are in the mix.

I am doing all six ANG operators (CA,FL,MA,MI,MT,NJ) - I can answer the rest of your questions in the thread I created in my own sub-forum.

I wouldn't worry so much about decals out of print....

As it's a lot easier to make new decal sheet than a new kit, once the new kit is available you'll see a lot of new decals pop out...

I am doing all six ANG operators (CA,FL,MA,MI,MT,NJ) - I can answer the rest of your questions in the thread I created in my own sub-forum.

That's great that you're doing decals. I will have to get one of the California sheets for the local ANG branch.

KursadA, really looking forward to your future 106 sheets. I know there has been a bit of discussion on this about Montana's dark blue color. Many moons ago when I was in the decal business, and Montana was flying the 106, I worked with them to produce a decal for their aircraft. The squadron sent down to me besides photos, a color chip of the blue used. It is a metallic color much like a metallic blue used by I think Ford in the early 60's. Anyway I believe I still have the chip and if you are interested let me know and I will dig it out and send it. What we did was to underprint the blue areas in silver and then print a transparent dark blue over the silver and then print the white lettering on top of that. It gave the correct color. Anyway, looking forward to what you do, your work is absolutely the best.

Edited by Bonanza27

I guess those of us who think the Monogram F-106 needs no replacement are a minority.

However, I will be waiting to pre-order one of these 2 seaters.

If they make a single seater with the gun pack I may consider that.

Caps, maybe it's just that perhaps a few too many of us got really bad shots in the last run... and I'd bet between Trumpy and AMK both having Sixes in the pipe, whatever holes one leaves the other will pounce on. LOL

I don't think AMK is gonna do F-106 anymore:

Hi, Laurent, F-14 and Super Etendard are still on schedule, G-91 is wondering, while F-106, Hobbyboss is going to produce this kit.

I wouldn't worry so much about decals out of print....

As it's a lot easier to make new decal sheet than a new kit, once the new kit is available you'll see a lot of new decals pop out...

Very good news about finally getting a new-tool 106 and (hopefully) a wider selection of aftermarket folks offering decals. Fingers crossed that some of the high-end decal outfits will offer up some sheets. I'm a big fan of MassANG birds but what I'd really like to see are some of the older Air Defense Command subjects.