Trumpeter New tools 1/48 F-106 Testshots

Can somone please explain the obsession Americans have believing Trumpeters only good kits are copied?

If they where copying the F-105,F-80,F-84 would all be better and worse in some areas and i could go on through 98% of the entire catalogue.

Why woukd they cooy the Mono F-105 then not cooy the ventral strake, or the canopy mechanism on the Mono F-84F.

If you copy a kit you dont say copy the fuselage but not the detail parts.

If the F-14 was copied why are the intakes wrong yet they got in 32nd the canopy correct which Tamiya ballsed up.

Generic statements saying they copy stuff doesnt stack up with the plastic in boxes with inconsistencies between the kits they release and those we continually say they copy.

By definition and of the good stuff re,eased by two manufacturers should be similarly shaped and proportioned if they are both good hence the Demon.

The evidence clearly favors them doing there own thing making mistakes as they go leading to good and bad kits.

I totally agree with you......

Always great to hear people piss on stuff and complain about accuracy. I'd sure value their opinions better if they built something and posted it once in a while...

Amen Sir, I agree with you...

Sorry, but it's a fact. When one company does a model kit, even if they totally screw it up, nobody else is likely to do it. How many new 1/32 F-100s have you seen?

Because we were practically swimming in Century Series kits before that, right?

If your logic were true, why would Tamiya have released a Mustang after Dragon screwed it up, or anyone else releasing a 1/48 Spitfire IX after Hasegawa released their short edition? Or AFV Club still bringing out a 1/32 F-104 even though Italeri JUST released a version that isn't very good. Or Zoukei-Mura releasing their own Mustang/He-219/Ta-152/Raiden when there are other ones on the market(in the case of the Uhu, flawed kits on the market). You've said it yourself before, kits don't make money for anyone else. Competition on the market is better for everyone, even if you don't think anyone wants to have multiple versions of something on the market.

Yes, because we all know that facts doesn't matter, what matters is how many models whoever that states the facts has built. rolleyes.gif And photographic evidence is also in the wrong unless whoever that posted it has built X models per year. Steel logic.

couldn't agree more!

it's like telling that movie critics aren't able do to their work properly unless they where movie makers themselves...

i remember when Jennings told us awhile ago that (AMK?) was about to do a F-106... and also that they thrash the Idea when Trumpeter came up with their own...

one thing is sure, i don't think that AMK will think twice and reactivate the project, since accuracy doesn't matter to most of these so busy modelers...

as the Trumpeter kit is already "Goodenuff" whatever will be pointed as wrong, even with photographic evidences to prove what's wrong... no need for another tooling...

i remember how the "goodenuff" crowd convinced GWH to correct their F-15...rofl.gif

oh, and, BTW, i have 4 WIP thread in the Great War Groupbuild! how about you?taunt.gif

sometimes it makes me think that there is blind people hanging here... and try to convince me that they sees better than medoh.gif

Yeah, on a model building website I guess it's a real stretch to expect a model to be built. Go pound sand. You people suck the life out of this hobby.

Only if you allow it to be sucked... It's a model discussion board! We're discussing the merits and shortcomings. It's no ones fault but yours that you had your joy stolen. I learned that the Trumpeter 48th scale F-106 intakes are molded wrong. Now it's up to ME to decide if I still want to buy one. But I'll now the intakes are hosed. No one is stopping you from buying and building a kit. Also whether Jennings builds a kit or not isn't going to correct the intakes on this kit.

Edited by boom175

Yeah, on a model building website I guess it's a real stretch to expect a model to be built. Go pound sand. You people suck the life out of this hobby.

The people that "suck the life of this hobby" are those that tell others how to do this hobby. J didn't. I didn't. Guess who did?

I have rarely seen rivet counters command others how they should build their models while i have seen plenty of times "anti-rivetcounters" trying to derail a discussion and tell us all how sh!t modelbuilders we are.

Or that we never build. Or that when we build we are bogged down to make a model accurate, and god forbid, that isn't proper modelling! :rolleyes:

Boom got it completely right. He has information about the shortcomming of the kit, and it is his decision, his only (and SWMBO...?) to either buy the kit or not, or correct it or not.

Edited by Berkut

You know what? You guys are absolutely right. This is a discussion board. Nobody should tell anyone else what to say, how to say it, or what to do. The aspect of the hobby that the folks here partake in is your business. Lesson learned. I will do my due diligence to keep out of "rivet counting" discussions and analysis of plastic model accuracy. As a model builder I will limit my comments and activity of model building. Allow me to let you guys get back on track. I believe the discussion centered on Trumpeter and its' inept presentation of the F-106 in 1/48...Please continue...

:popcorn:

Edited by jgrease

LOL, the same petty bickering on every thread about a new or up coming new kit, exactly the same debate, exactly the same arguments and it never resolves...it's like watching "Groundhog day"! Hiarious :-)

LOL, the same petty bickering on every thread about a new or up coming new kit, exactly the same debate, exactly the same arguments and it never resolves...it's like watching "Groundhog day"! Hiarious :-)

i wouldn't say hilarious... to me, that situation is rather sad... but its inherent to new model discussion, i guess... (as long as i'm not forced to "praise the lord" it"ll be tolerable)

to bring this back on subject, maybe that if Trumpeter only pooched the intakes (as, at first glance, the shape is rather close to the old Monogram's one(which is a good thing))

we'll get soon enough resin correction (or resin seamless intakes that will have the correct shape) if this happen to be possible...(i don't know the breakdown of the kit) ...or even use the monogram kits intake(for those like me who already got 4 of them in the stash) and does a Darteinstein...

cos, like vince maddux already mentioned, the monogram kit's breakdown is somewhat tricky, and assembly often leads to the loss of precious "raised" details...(which are harder to restore than engraved ones)... so, if at least Trumpeter offers us "an easier to deal with" breakdown of the kit, it would be great!

now, let's hope to see more plastic soon! and some detailed review!

I'm sorry I can live with it I've built worse models for sure! I've waited for a "B" model so long I'm getting a couple!

Seriously, I'm with ya man. All these new kits that have come out, many of which were a pipe dream 10 years ago...I'm a model builder, no kit is perfect and I can fix what ain't. I'll pick up an "A" and a "B".

Only if you allow it to be sucked... It's a model discussion board! We're discussing the merits and shortcomings. It's no ones fault but yours that you had your joy stolen. I learned that the Trumpeter 48th scale F-106 intakes are molded wrong. Now it's up to ME to decide if I still want to buy one. But I'll now the intakes are hosed. No one is stopping you from buying and building a kit. Also whether Jennings builds a kit or not isn't going to correct the intakes on this kit.

This ^

Agree 100%. I'm not a rivet counter by far but I do want to know the pros and cons of a kit before I purchase. I find these threads informative (and quite often amusing). If you don't want to partake, just ignore these threads, because every single one will end up like this one has. It's just way it is.

I have several of the Monogram F-106s in my stash and I like them. I built mine many years ago (gee should post a pic) and it came out ok. Don't recall having a lot of trouble with it, build wise except for a paint mishap I had which was totally my fault. Fixed it and finished it.

Anyway, I will probably get the Trumpeter kit since they are releasing the B version which I have been trying to do for eons. I have the Falcon conversion and was trying to get the C&H Aero one but so far no luck there. Now that I can get the Trumpeter kit I am happier. Speaking of which, was not the F-106B to be released first?

I love discussions on the various Trumpeter kits pointing out the issues since it opens my eyes to something I may have missed. Then it it is up to me to figure out how to go about correcting it or even bothering. That F-106 intake issue I may have to look at though. That bothers me. Perhaps I can sacrifice one of my old Monogram kits and use the Monogram kit with some intake covers so I don't loose.

I am still so disappointed in their A-7 Corsair kit with that squashed intake and canopy that it almost makes me sick. Thank goodness Zactomodel has a fix for that. Too bad Hobbyboss did not take the opportunity to fix it before releasing their series of kits.

Sorry, but it's a fact. When one company does a model kit, even if they totally screw it up, nobody else is likely to do it.

Sorry, but it's not a fact. Exhibit A: the F-16, done by literally dozens of kit manufacturers. Case in point, the excellent Tamiya 1/48 kit, quickly followed by the not-so-excellent Kinetic 1/48 kit.

Good discussion.

I enjoy people pointing out errors as well so "if" people think it is serious enough they can at least know about it and try to fix it.

What peeves many me included are those who believe they are a white Knight riding on their great steed to the rescue of the minions from the Chicom hoard inflicting plastic atrocities against out easily deluded minds.

Trying to convince us we have been deluded by this Chicom POS and nothing can be done with it as the subtle lower fuselage curves are so inaccurate as to be a blight against humanity.

Yet the kits they defend with all of their vigorous freedom are in fact just as problematic as the ones they deride.

To the guys putting up the info thanks.

To the white Knights thanks but I can make up my own mind and would prefer information not one eyed propaganda.

Sorry, but it's not a fact. Exhibit A: the F-16, done by literally dozens of kit manufacturers. Case in point, the excellent Tamiya 1/48 kit, quickly followed by the not-so-excellent Kinetic 1/48 kit.

even if i like more the F-106 than the F-16

the f-106 was done in 4 variants (when including those very look-alike YF and QF...)

the F-16 was done in, at least a dozen variants.

342 F-106 of all variants... and all serve in only one country... and have mainly, if not mostly, have all the same livery... (with very few exceptions)

more than 4500 F-16 where build to date...and production lines are still working for a couple of years... and the f-16 served in more than 25 countries and can be done in nearly hundred schemes!

so, we're not nearly talking about the same marketing/sales possibilities...

the F-22 in the other hand, may habe been done by many companies... but it was the only 5th generation fighter/interceptor for nearly two decades...

so your example is not a valid one...

The intakes are off. That just makes the inevitable full run intakes a better value. I don't understand why these companies don't get a knowledgeable source to consult on the prototype. I'm sure they're afraid another company will snatch their idea. But even crowdsourcing it here would be better than error after error. It's become part of the purchase process: 1. rejoice about new release. 2. wait for price to get real. 3. hold money pending reviews. 2. evaluate problems. 3. wait for aftermarket response or kit Ver. 2.0.

Good discussion.

I enjoy people pointing out errors as well so "if" people think it is serious enough they can at least know about it and try to fix it.

What peeves many me included are those who believe they are a white Knight riding on their great steed to the rescue of the minions from the Chicom hoard inflicting plastic atrocities against out easily deluded minds.

Trying to convince us we have been deluded by this Chicom POS and nothing can be done with it as the subtle lower fuselage curves are so inaccurate as to be a blight against humanity.

Yet the kits they defend with all of their vigorous freedom are in fact just as problematic as the ones they deride.

To the guys putting up the info thanks.

To the white Knights thanks but I can make up my own mind and would prefer information not one eyed propaganda.

giphy.gif

LOL!