Orange Hobby new 1/72 F-35C testshots

Looks like an interesting kit.

I don't see the overdone RAM tape as a dead loss. At 1/72 you could use it as a scribing guide, sand it all off when done scribing and then mask and paint the RAM details.

I'd think that at 1/72 a single layer thickness of paint would be enough to get the look of RAM tape right for the scale.

Hi

Looks like an interesting kit.

I don't see the overdone RAM tape as a dead loss. At 1/72 you could use it as a scribing guide, sand it all off when done scribing and then mask and paint the RAM details.

Thinking the same. I am not originally a big F-35 fan but that is what military aviation is becoming so we probably need to get ready for it for the next 50 years at least.

If I am not wrong F-35s in 1/72nd scale are as follows from what I remember and not seeking to be complete here :

* F-35As available from Italeri, Academy coming and possibly Hasegawa at later date (expecting Hasegawa)

* We have a F-35B from Fujimi (I have one, did not check ic accurate shapewise - strange mix of details and snaptite kit - I think something wan be done with it)

* I think I heard of no other F-35C in 1/72nd scale but this model : plastic and engineering look sharp although RAM sure look overdone. I prefer it that way than soft plastic with undefined/un-detailed surfaces. I'll be more than happy if I can get one : remaining question is price, date and availibility (retailers?)

Cheers

Eric B.

• 1 year later...

Got one in the mail today. I will do an in box video review on it when I get a chance.

I got the kit a few days ago & sent ARC webmaster Steve Bamford a 'First-Look' review. But he replied that it might take a few weeks for it to be published on the ARC front page. So I think you should go ahead & post your review first so that modelers would know what they are in for. I like the tow truck option & the folded wings option. But man, those raised panel lines and RAM details on the aircraft's fuselage....... <_<

Good value for money though.

Edited by JackMan

... sent ARC webmaster Steve Bamford a 'First-Look' review ...might take a few weeks for it to be published ....

Doggone JackMan, quit being such a tease and withholder of interesting/needed information. I always value your opinions, so could you perhaps post a sneak peek summary of your review... please? :cheers:

Gene K

Doggone JackMan, quit being such a tease and withholder of interesting/needed information. I always value your opinions, so could you perhaps post a sneak peek summary of your review... please? :cheers:/>

Gene K

Lol! Thank you, sir. Ok, I will try to post something tomorrow. I've saved the review in another PC which is not accessible to me now (It's Sunday afternoon here in Singapore). T'row when I get back to work, I will access the PC & the file & post something.

The kit is here with me at home right now, so if you have any particular request for pics, do let me know. :thumbsup:

Not sure if you've already seen these pics:

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/od3irv4bi9ucxpkt0qjq.html?t=1421566080

Does the kit come with any weapons?

Yup. A pair of AIM-120C, AIM-9X and a single GAU-22A gun pod.

Sorry for the poor quality of pics. These were taken at night in my room with my camera-phone.

BOXSIDE_zps78274b50.jpg

WL_zpsae910225.jpg

WL-GP_zps7a2610d7.jpg

Pylons:

Pylons_zps33b57365.jpg

The AIM-120s are supposed to go inside the weapons bay which can be displayed open or closed.

Edited by JackMan

More interested in your conclusions regarding the raised details

The plastic is a strange silverish-grey and reminds me of some of the early ESCI kits ( although not as "silverish"). I feel the raised details are a tad over-done in some areas such as the forward fuselage just aft of the nose and directly infront of the cockpit:

Sorry for the poor quality of pics. These were taken last night in my room with my camera-phone:

FrontFuselageTophalf_zpsd9be5d20.jpg

FrontFuselageTophalf2_zps3a12f5a2.jpg

UPPERFORWARDFUSELAGE_zps9df81b94.jpg

Bottom half of front fuselage (starboard)

FrontFuselageBottomhalfRight_zps9c59d901.jpg

Bottom half of front fuselage (port)

FrontFuselageBottomhalf_zps05d161ee.jpg

LOWERFORWARDFUSELAGE_zpsde07b4bc.jpg

The top part of the main fuselage actually looks quite ok when compared to Tony Stark's picture above ( the one parked next to the beautiful Spitfire)

FuselageTophalf_zps4664a2fe.jpg

FuselageTophalf2_zps518b4497.jpg

Rear area near exhaust

UPPERREARFUSELAGEDETAILS_zps7d509975.jpg

Top fuselage just aft of the cockpit (starboard view)

UPPERFUSELAGEDETAILS_zps453dba3f.jpg

But the bottom is....something else <_<

Bottom_zps4ab73f36.jpg

The panel lines for the entire kit are a mixed bag of raised & recessed panel lines. I prefer the Hasegawa F-35A's method of subtle recessed panel lines and the decal option for the RAM. Since I don't have the Academy and Italeri F-35A, I can't compare with those with regards to the surface details.

Overall, the Orange Hobby kit is a value for money kit as it has good internal details ( cockpit, weapons bay & gear wells) + folding wing options + tow truck.....and all this for only about US$25. But those overly pronounced surface area is going to be a deal breaker for some modelers. I like the raised details for the top of the fuselage as it appears to be more subtly raised than the rest of the fuselage (which is either too raised or too recessed). But the other stuff just infront of the canopy and along the side of the forward fuselage as well as the bottom of the main fuselage....

Cactus.jpg

Would I recommend this kit?

Yes:

1) Because it is relatively cheap so it won't put a dent in your pocket

2) If your stash isn't so large & you could afford to pile on one more

3) If you don't mind the overly pronounced details in some areas but not others

No:

1) If you want a nicer detailed kit and you'd rather wait for Hase/Fujimi/Acad/Italeri to come out with a F-35C (Fujimi already did a F-35B)

2) If you're not in a hurry to build one of these new-fangled Stealth planes

3) Kittyhawk is rumored to be downsizing their 1/48 kits to 1/72 (but don't quote me on that)

4) Your stash is already large.

This is definitely not a "must-have" kit. It's a "nice to have" kit.

Btw, I don't know too much about the F-35 and wasn't until recently that I took a passing interest in this aircraft. So I didn't do a detailed comparison wrt the dimensions and accuracy:

DIMENSIONS_zpsb3180123.jpg

Thank you JackMan and DutyCat - two very comprehensive looks (to say the least)!

I certainly appreciate the great effort and substantial time it takes to assemble such thorough reviews.

As for the kit itself, seems a shame Orange's first product involves those controversial raised RAM panels. The kit appears nicely presented and well moulded.

Thanks again! :salute:/>/>

Gene K

Edited by Gene K