1/48 F-84F...another perspective

I have been following the comments on the new 1/48 Hobby Boss Republic F-84F by modelers with a much keener eye then myself. The consensus seems to be that this kit is the best starting point for building up an accurate kit. AMS is producing some very nice resin correction sets to fix some of the major errors in the kit.

I'd like to hear opinions on the following. Like many others (I suppose) I have several Monogram F-84Fs as well as a couple of Kinetic/Italeri kits, both of which have their own issues. Would it be reasonable to do some kit bashing starting with the Hobby Boss kit and using the best parts of the other two kits e.g. cockpit, landing gear, etc. I have the Quickboost corrected intakes as well. I seems to be a waste to get into a third generation of kits without making use of the others.

On another note, has anyone heard of anyone producing a couple of (accurate) decal sheets for this new kit. I've always liked some of the markings from USAFE units.

I'd like to hear opinions on the following. Like many others (I suppose) I have several Monogram F-84Fs as well as a couple of Kinetic/Italeri kits, both of which have their own issues. Would it be reasonable to do some kit bashing starting with the Hobby Boss kit and using the best parts of the other two kits e.g. cockpit, landing gear, etc. I have the Quickboost corrected intakes as well. I seems to be a waste to get into a third generation of kits without making use of the others.

Good questions, Brian. And, with the qualification that I first recommend the AMS update set because of the far better accuracy and details, Harold is aware that I've already tested what you visualize. Why would I do such a thing?! Maybe because I have ten of the Monogram and two each of the Kinetic and Italeri Streak kits, plus orts from at least four Monogram Streaks I've used for other bashes. Plus, maybe because I'm a kit basher that was born with the "I wonder what ..." gene! I must confess that, though I've got two Monogram and one Italeri "on the bench" started, that in comparison to the Tamiya and RevMonProMod Thunderjets, and in the face of their defects, I just couldn't intall enough Energizer batteries in my brain to complete them.

So, how did my tests work out? Nose gear bay from either will fit with a bit of fiddling, Monogram is better. Monogram nose gear and wheel are the best replacement other than SAC metal set; Kinetic/Italeri not so good, especially as their nose wheel lash up sux. Cockpit from either will fit with a bit of fiddling, Monogram is better. Main gear struts and wheels from either will fit, just have to file/sand the mounting peg to fit the HB hole, Monogram is better. Why is Monogram better? Monogram parts have crisper details than do the Kinetic/Italeri parts.

On another note, has anyone heard of anyone producing a couple of (accurate) decal sheets for this new kit. I've always liked some of the markings from USAFE units.

I have two decal sheets with USAFE livery. I do not know about current availability. They are:

SuperScale 48-804 52-5639 79th FBS England, 1957.

Decal Carpenia 48-15 52-7038 92nd FBS 81st FBW Bentwaters, 1958.

Because of the nature of the sheets and HB kit, they should fit the HB kit as well as the target Monogram kit.

Moreso, having spent a bit of time here and there comparing the five kits, any of the extant decals should be usable on the HB kit with, at most, a bit of edge trimming. That was the case with the Monogram nose markings I had to substitute for the HB decal, the usual decal solvent to settle them onto the compound shape, then slight trimming at the intake.

Edited by Plankwing

One of the issues mentioned about HB errors is the incorrectly included refueling door on the starboard wing. Another omission from the kit is neither decal nor paint call out for the radar panel in the intake splitter. Here is a graphic, hopefully self-descriptive, that includes the patterns for a radar panel decal and for a decal to cover the incorrect refueling door. The procedure is to airbrush the appropriate color onto a decal sheet, print the patterns (they are 1:1 sized on the graphic), use a school glue stick or rubber cement to attach them to the decal backing (the graphic is mirror image), trim the decal to the graphic, and apply the decal to the appropriate place. I have decal sheets for ink jet printing; the white decal sheets are much thicker than the clear decal sheets so would be better to use to cover the refueling door. In any case, best not to use decal solvent on that decal as don't want to have the decal settle into the engravings.

F-84FHobbyBossRadarandRefuelingDoorDecals-orig.jpg

Hopefully, ya'll who build the HB will find this graphic useful, feedback requested.

Edited by Plankwing

Thanks Bruce, for taking the time to respond. I was taking a look at your 'out of the box' build-up on another posting and a couple of things caught my eye. What is your take on the shape of the intake on the HB kit? Seems a bit off to me. Another question is that suck in door under the cockpit needs to be improved. Would you recommend using the Monogram one?

Over the years I have picked up as many decal sheets for 1/48 F-84Fs as I could and have found them all wanting, the kit decals from the HB kit included. The blue unit emblem under the rear canopy appears too light when compared to the colour photos found on page 75 of David Menard's 'Before Centuries.' Inaccurate decals are my pet peeve! I have a couple of extra Monogram sheets and plan on using your advice on the nose area of the kit subject. In photos, the Monogram decals for 26675 are off when compared to the photo on page 7(?) of the old Aircam Aviation Series No. 14.

On the topic of decals, in case anyone is interested, I checked out the Carpena 48-15 sheet and there are 2 still available at Aviation Megastore.com.

The shape of the intake on the HB kit is correct. The only kit with incorrect intake is the Kinetic/Italeri.

I'm curious why you feel the decals "all wanting" as I've gotten every decal sheet I could find for F-84F including some in 72nd scale for reference (though I build only 48th). Certainly, there are some from years past that are not as complete as some of the newer ones, or like Heller where the data decals are heavy handed. My take on most of the aftermarket decals is that they are quite good. In scale, the minor differences of some decals from "real" are no more detracting to me than some of the kit inaccuracies. As an example of my point, for me the off-put for building the Monogram Streak was more the raised panel lines than the incorrect profile.

As for the colors on the HB sheet, Insignia Blue especially is too light, so probably the unit emblem is also. I don't put 100% reliance on photos though I reference as many as I can to get a feel for colors. One can't even rely on FS online or even in the bottle. I've been stung several times when I relied on the paint mfr label then found the color in the bottle didn't look right on the model, then too late, didn't match what I could find for swatches. Sometimes having AMS detracts from the fun of modeling ... :bandhead2:

Hi, Bruce. In response to your question about decals I'll bore you and other members with the following observations. I refer to the markings of two F-84's I have long wanted to model and have been waiting for years for someone to produce accurate decals. Both are from the 81st FBW for which both kit and after market decals have been produced. My computer skills are lacking and so am unable to reproduce photos from the following references.

First is the 78th FBS (Bushmasters), markings which were produced by Microscale, the original Monogram boxing and most recently Hobby Boss. Colour photo reference can be found for this aircraft, '26675' on page 41 of 'Air Enthusiast' No. 81 as well as other colour photos on pages 74-5 of 'Before Centuries' by David Menard of other unit aircraft.

-the digit '2' on the tail number is incorrectly produced on all three sources.

-the name 'Bushmasters' on the tail unit emblem is often lacking or is in red, not black as on the Monogram decals.

-the shape of the snake head on the unit badge is poorly rendered.

-the red starburst on the tail is incorrect relative to its length and position to the tail numbers.

-the blue wing badge under the cockpit is the wrong shade of blue (too light).

-the name above this emblem (lacking on the HB decal) should be in white, not black (as on the Monogram decal)

-the figure (a horse?) in the middle of the white mushroom cloud on this badge should be yellow (totally missing on the HB rendering and in white on the Monogram decal).

-the red nose markings should be outlined in black both at the intake lip and along the outer edges (Monogram got this right, but not HB).

Secondly, photos for the 91st FBS can be found on pages 77-8 of 'Before Centuries.' Decals for this aircraft, '26834' can be found on the Italeri sheet as well as the old Microscale sheet 48-113.

-the digit '2' is not quite correct and it appears not all the numbers are stenciled (if that's the correct word?).

-the blue appears to be too dark on both decal sources. The blue in the colour photo on page 78 suggests a lighter blue. Years ago when visiting the Air Force Museum, I asked Dave Menard about the dark blue on the Microscale sheet and he agreed it was too dark, probably a custom mix at unit level.

-the black piping that edges the nose markings (wing tips as well) appears too thin on both decal sources.

-I believe the name on the canopy frame should be 'Lt Col Moreland' with no red background and not 'Cdr Roger Long' as seen on the Microscale sheet.

-the unit badge under the rear cockpit appears too dark as well, and the basic shape could have been a bit more accurate e.g. in shape and with thicker piping.

-the unit badge on the tail appears more detailed on the Italeri sheet than the Microscale interpretation.

I guess we all have our pet peeves as to our hobby. Mine is poorly done decals, especially when we're paying well over ten dollars per sheet.

In closing I have to mention connecting the dots last night when I recognized your handle 'Plankwing'. It dawned on me you were the gentleman who produced that wonderful and very helpful site on early straight wing F-84s several years ago. A great source of information when correcting the Tamiya, Revell/Monogram and Academy kits! Many thanks. Keep us up to date on F-84s!

You are correct about the suck in doors. They should be replaced as far as I am concerned. The kits are not at all accurate.

Hack up an old Monogram kit for those, along with the undercarriage and wheels.

Cheers,

Harold

Brian, very helpful info on the decals. I don't claim to have researched decals that thoroughly.

Thanks for letting me know my web site was helpful. I had to take the site down because it was generating so much bandwidth that it got to expensive for me to afford. If I can ever get it back online, I will provide the news on this and other forums.