My Daughter's First Model Build

From a very early age my daughter has been very arty and quite precise in her colouring in and painting. As she was approaching her 4th birthday, I suggested we buy a model to build together. The choice came do to a Pink PR Spitfire or a Red Arrow Hawk. At the model shop, the final choice was made, the Revell 2000 season Red Arrow Hawk. Here's my rather excited daughter just after getting back from the shop in late October.

hawk1.jpg

I knew attention span would be an issue, but teaching patience from a young age is a worth while exercise, so I knew each session would be no more than 30 minutes to an hour. I would also have to restrain myself about being too picky regarding filling and sanding etc, and small parts would be best missed out all together. So the build would include the main airframe parts, but built gear up, and will probably hang from her bedroom ceiling with some cotton wool smoke out the back when done.

Unlike myself when I was young, I got her to start by painting cockpit parts, the fuselage interior, and as the kit didn't include one, I found a pilot to paint. The tins of paint were stuck to the table with Blu-Tack to avoid spills, and after showing her to dip then wipe the excess paint off on the rim, she got on without too much assistance.

hawk2.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

She loves making stuff, so this was a good opportunity to give mummy an hour to herself!

The concentration is easy to see, and I was quite proud of her care and precision with the small brush. I washed the brush, opened and stirred the next tin, and off she went.

hawk3.jpg

After the first session, she was quite happy that the parts needed to be put aside to dry.

hawk4.jpg

The following day was bad weather, so we stayed in and did a little more, amongst other things. After explaining very carefully about knives, and that she was only allowed to touch them when I said it was ok, we started cutting. I let her start cutting out parts with the scalpel, with her hand at the bottom and me holding it further up, applying a little extra pressure when needed. Once cut free, I then showed her how to trim the raggy sprue feed from the part.

Like the paint, the liquid glue was Blu-tacked to the table, and then she began to apply the glue where I said, and place the cockpit parts together ( with a little positioning help from me ).

hawk5.jpg

After a brief pause for drying time, the cockpit was glued in. I held it in place and she painted the glue in.

hawk6.jpg

There was a pause of about three weeks until I decided she was in the right frame of mind to continue. So it was late November before we moved on to the wings. She did more of the cutting with less assistance needed, and soon the wings were made, gear doors attached and intakes fitted. The wings attached with a little jigging assistance from me, but the gluing all her again.

hawk9.jpg

Another couple of weeks passed until December 11th when the ventral fins, and smoke tank were added.

hawk10.jpg

A few more days after that, we painted the airframe red. She started quite well, but lost interest after painting the wings and tail. I think I picked the wrong day! She told me to finish the fuselage painting. A couple of days after, I gave it a couple of coats of future to give a nice gloss coat for the decals, as she was excited about putting the 'sticker' on!

So today, with it chucking down with rain outside, out came the Hawk again. I cut out each decal, and let her dunk it in the bowl of water. Once it was ready, I started by positioning the first white arrow on the bottom, and getting her to pull the backing paper out slowly. I used a small brush to push it into position. This was repeated for the other arrow.

For the other larger decals, i got her to hold the decal in place while I pulled the backing paper out, and then held her hand which held the brush, to position the decal correctly. So after we'd done the strips and roundels, and with only tiny decals left, she told me to put the others on. She's got a bit of a cold and didn't sleep well last night, so was beginning to fade with tiredness. I finished up and later in the afternoon, gave it another spray with Future to seal everything in. All that is left to do now is the canopy, then stick a dowel up the tail pipe and cover that in cotton wool, then it will be ready for the ceiling!

hawk11.jpg

hawk12.jpg

hawk13.jpg

Thanks! She's got a rather proud dad today! It's great to see them being so creative, and getting a buzz out of it. I used to be a college technician in the 3D workshop of the art department. The number of kids that came into the workshop without a clue was depressing. The only way they could make stuff was to press a button on a computer and have that do the work.

Excellent work by the little one!

I have a 9 year old and he likes having aircraft hung from his bedroom ceiling so lately I have let him build a few. Patience is something that needs to be learned as well as following directions.

Regards,

Truly awesome. She looks so happy with her effort, and with good reason.

I remember when my two boys were that age and built their first. They are in their late teens now and I still have both of their first builds tucked away in the attic.

Yup, she is good, when can build this kit - with painting in only 4years...Girls are often best modellers as guys... They have more patience and sense for detail... Maybe you little girl is next best woman modeler :) This Hawk looks realy good. (I like this aircraft, when i was 7years old i have a chinese pencil case with photos of Red Arrows... It is in 1987, Cold war was still reallity and i live on other side of barricade in communistic Czechoslovakia...Hmm, i mus complete a 1/32 Revell Hawk :)) Nice holidays ! (And i hope a Santa bring your daughter another colourful plane... a bright yellow Sea King or Cormorant helicopter from R.A.F. SAR is nice and huge :)

• 2 months later...

Super start and great that you figured the best times to proceed so she will keep interest. My 5 yr. old boy although showing necessary skill, is still not yet ready-too fidgety! But I have a snap F-4 kit waiting. My 3 yr. old will want to be involved as well I am sure. I plan to go at it like you, picking the best time. My Father had to dredge through "our" build when I was 6-7 yrs. old making the 300+ part AMT Peterbilt 359 "California Hauler" back in the early 70's. It turned out nice and I sure learned patience!