Hey guys,

Is there a way you can make an F/A-18B out of the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18D, and if you can what do you need to do to it to make it work. I have some decals from Fightertown I would love to use for a model but I don't have an F/A-18B.

Frank

A/B[edit]

The F/A-18A is the single-seat variant and the F/A-18B is the two-seat variant. The space for the two-seat cockpit is provided by a relocation of avionic equipment and a 6% reduction in internal fuel; two-seat Hornets are otherwise fully combat-capable. The B model is used primarily for training.

In 1992, the original Hughes AN/APG-65 radar was replaced with the Hughes (now Raytheon) AN/APG-73, a faster and more capable radar. A model Hornets that have been upgraded to the AN/APG-73 are designated F/A-18A+.

C/D[edit]

The F/A-18C is the single-seat variant and the F/A-18D is the two-seat variant. The D-model can be configured for training or as an all-weather strike craft. The "missionized" D model's rear seat is configured for a Marine Corps Naval Flight Officer who functions as a Weapons and Sensors Officer to assist in operating the weapons systems. The F/A-18D is primarily operated by the U.S. Marine Corps in the night attack and Forward Air Controller (Airborne) (FAC(A)) roles.[65]

The F/A-18C and D models are the result of a block upgrade in 1987[12] incorporating upgraded radar, avionics, and the capacity to carry new missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile and AGM-65 Maverick[8] and AGM-84 Harpoon air-to-surface missiles. Other upgrades include the Martin-Baker NACES (Navy Aircrew Common Ejection Seat), and a self-protection jammer. A synthetic aperture ground mapping radar enables the pilot to locate targets in poor visibility conditions. C and D models delivered since 1989 also have improved night attack abilities, consisting of the Hughes AN/AAR-50 thermal navigation pod, the Loral AN/AAS-38 NITE Hawk FLIR (forward looking infrared array) targeting pod, night vision goggles, and two full-color (formerly monochrome) multi-function display (MFDs) and a color moving map.[8]

In addition, 60 D-model Hornets are configured as the night attack F/A-18D (RC) with ability for reconnaissance.[65] These could be outfitted with the ATARS electro-optical sensor package that includes a sensor pod and equipment mounted in the place of the M61 cannon.[66]

Beginning in 1992, the F404-GE-402 enhanced performance engine, providing approximately 10% more maximum static thrust became the standard Hornet engine.[67] Since 1993, the AAS-38A NITE Hawk added a designator/ranger laser, allowing it to self-mark targets. The later AAS-38B added the ability to strike targets designated by lasers from other aircraft.[68]

Production of the F/A-18C ended in 1999. In 2000, the last F/A-18D was delivered to the U.S. Marine Corps.

THIS INFORATON IS COMPLETELY FROM WIKIPEDIA

Not sure how detailed you want to get on it, but here's what I did to convert a Hasegawa C to A (D to B will be the same steps)

- Source new tails. I was able to trade someone my C tails for the appropriate A tails. If you can't get any A tails, the D tails can be used if you remove the middle antenna housing above the rudder, but it won't be exactly right. Again, not sure how detailed you want to get on this. Here is a pic of the A and C tails from the PT50 kit:

taildifferences_zps3a74f5aa.png

- Do not drill the small holes on parts B8 and B9 as shown in the instructions.

- Drill ONLY the center hole on part J4. Do NOT drill the two holes near the left and right edges of this part.

- leave off parts K2, K23, K24. These antenna housings are only found on C/D models, and if you followed the above 2 steps, there are no holes for the these to fit

- If you are using aftermarket seats, use SJU-5/6 seats.

I think there may be some IP differences, but not sure. Other than that, you should be able to model a B fairly well.

Edited by Sgt Spooky

*INFORMATION

Hey Netz,

Are those the tails you use and if they are where do you get them?

Frank

They are a Sierra Hotel product that never made it to the web site, the mold I have is dead (tore) and I don't know when I'll see another.

Curt

The Hasegawa 1/48 legacy Hornet kits have the parts for both the A and C, or B and D, in the box EXCEPT for the tails. There is a blank spot on the sprue with the tails where the other tails would be. It's simply a matter of coming up with the proper tails or modifying the kit tails. The rest is just using/not using other parts already in the box.

The Hasegawa 1/48 legacy Hornet kits have the parts for both the A and C, or B and D, in the box EXCEPT for the tails. There is a blank spot on the sprue with the tails where the other tails would be. It's simply a matter of coming up with the proper tails or modifying the kit tails. The rest is just using/not using other parts already in the box.

You are 100% correct! Not that you needed my validation

The only Hasegawa kits so far that I know of that has both the A/B tails (E sprue) and C/D tails (F sprue) are the F/A-18A/C PT50 kit, and the 2 most recent Blue Angels kits (Blue Angels 2010 and B/D Blue Angels). I'd give you the A-tails from my PT50 kit if I wasn't turning that into an A model.

Here's link that someone sent me awhile that might help you track down which kits have what sprues - Haseagawa 1/48 Jet kit breakdown

I guess you would be talking the infamous Sprue 'M' which is included in all newer Legacy F-18 kits along with the 'A' tails?

The M sprue contains late upgrades like the dual flare/chaff dispenser, revised centerline pylon, and swept back spine antenna, and can be in either kit. Refer to the following sprue diagrams for an F/A-18A kit and a F/A-18C kit. The only difference is the tail sprue (E or F), and you get one or the other, but not both.

A:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10242511z8/70/8

C:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10212804z10/70/10

As Sgt. Spooky mentioned, there are a few kits that have both tails, but they specifically released as multi-version kits. If a kit claims to make a single model, it should have only the appropriate tails.

Blue Angels kit:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10157937z8/70/8

Edited by Dave Williams