Bad boys, what I intend to build page

DSC_2933_zps60f60c9d.jpg

Here's what I started with....

DSC_2936_zpsddf05912.jpg

..... and here's where it is a week later. I'm still not sure which USAF aggressor that I'm going to build though. I did swap out the round nose cone and LEX sprue of this kit for the duckbill nose cone and extended LEXs of an AFV F-5N kit. This will give me a late F-5F and an early F-5E, both of which I intend to build for this group build.

I originally posted my "intend to build" pics in the wrong thread.... DOH!

Two weeks later and she's just about ready for paint! I've changed my mind and will now finish it as VFC-13 #32 from Fightertown Decals sheet 48064.

DSC_2938_zps973d5e98.jpg

Also, here's the F-5E that I started for this build, and the progress that I've made. It will be finished as VFC-13 #07 from the Twobobs Nat's sheet from a few years ago. I used the duckbill nose cone and extended wing root LEXs from this kit on my F-5F above, and used the round nose cone and early style LEXs on this kit too keep everything correct.

DSC_2934_zps0874064b.jpg

Here it is two weeks later.... making progress!

DSC_2937_zps708557b4.jpg

And just for fun (started too early for the group build), here's a 32nd scale Hasegawa A-4E that I started last year. I had originally planned on building a different jet, but changed my mind. Unfortunately, I had already cut some things off of the first fuselage halves that I needed for the second jet, so I had to rob the fuselage halves from a second kit, which is why there are two different color plastics. When I go to build my original subject choice it will have blue fuselage halves, and grey parts! Keeps it interesting I guess ;0) It will be built as NFWS #55 in the Col. Toomb MiG-17 scheme using decals from my spares box, and some custom printed numbers.

DSC_2939_zps1a3e3ca0.jpg

A-4E150044NFWS55L_zpsdc1595ba.jpg

More later... ;0) Fred.

Edited by f5guy

Very interesting choice. There was also a VFA-127 F-5E with a similar paint scheme but, the colors were dark brown/dark green. If I remember correctly, Dragon has produce it in 1/144.

Looking forward to see this one build!!!!!

You mean this one.... ;0)

F-5E73-0883160795VFA-12721L6-90_zps00c29703.jpg

I've wanted to build this one in 32nd scale for some time, but haven't been able to piece together all of the decals that I need. One day! Fred.

Hi Fred,

Noticed you were doing an F-5F and had a question for you. For an AF F, if it had the shark nose would that automatically mean it had the larger LEX? I've been looking at doing 83-0073, blue, and pretty sure it has the shark nose but can't tell on the LEX, just can't see it in the pics ( Colors and Markings, USAF Aggrssors, p 41 if you have that book). It looks like the seat headrests are the thicker style if that helps.

thanks

Hi,

This is another one that I'd like to build.

Like the "Banana slug", this is an adversary that is unusual even amongst the adversaries.

I felt attracted to it right away, but it is not going to be really easy.

The markings are in the colours of the camouflage, so I'll have to match the paints pretty well.

Also, a couple of the splotches will have to be painted exactly right because the markings run through them.

12268793213_47884f245a_z.jpg

Bad boys#07 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

This is another one that I'd like to build.

Like the "Banana slug", this is an adversary that is unusual even amongst the adversaries.

I felt attracted to it right away, but it is not going to be really easy.

The markings are in the colours of the camouflage, so I'll have to match the paints pretty well.

Also, a couple of the splotches will have to be painted exactly right because the markings run through them.

12268793213_47884f245a_z.jpg

Bad boys#07 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

Awesome to see some TA-4J adversaries being built! I had thought about building an A-4E and TA-4J for the group build, but the Hasegawa A-4s always seem to take me much longer to build than the the six months allotted for the build. That was when I decided to go with the AFV F-5s.... I can build them in a month or two ;0) I'll be interested to see how this build comes out. #11 wears a great looking paint job!

Fred.

Edited by f5guy

Hi Fred,

Noticed you were doing an F-5F and had a question for you. For an AF F, if it had the shark nose would that automatically mean it had the larger LEX? I've been looking at doing 83-0073, blue, and pretty sure it has the shark nose but can't tell on the LEX, just can't see it in the pics ( Colors and Markings, USAF Aggrssors, p 41 if you have that book). It looks like the seat headrests are the thicker style if that helps.

thanks

Hi Gary,

Any of the F-5Fs in service with the 64th or 65th AS would have had the duckbill nose cone and wing root LEXs since they were all late build F-5Fs (1982/83). Basically, if the serial number starts with an 8, its got the duckbill nose cone and wing root LEXs. About the only aggressor/adversary F-5Fs that would not have had the late mods would have been the three that served with Topgun prior to about 1983, and even after that time period, they all got the duckbill nose cone and wing root LEXs too.

As for 83-0073.... great choice! Unfortunately, F-5Fs only served with the 64th and 65th AS for a very short time, and pics of them are hard to come by. I had actually planned on building my F as either the 64th AS #072, 73, or 74,, but just couldn't come up with enough reference pics to suit me. Attached is one of the few pics that I have of 73. Its not the greatest, but it may be of some help to you if you decided to tackle this one. Take care! Fred.

F-5F83007364thAS73_zps21788d36.jpg

As for 83-0073.... great choice! Unfortunately, F-5Fs only served with the 64th and 65th AS for a very short time, and pics of them are hard to come by. I had actually planned on building my F as either the 64th AS #072, 73, or 74,, but just couldn't come up with enough reference pics to suit me. Attached is one of the few pics that I have of 73. Its not the greatest, but it may be of some help to you if you decided to tackle this one. Take care! Fred.

F-5F83007364thAS73_zps21788d36.jpg

Great info again, Fred. :thumbsup:

I was not even aware that the 64 and 65th AS operated F-5F's for a while.

It looks like 73 there is in the "Old Blue" scheme. Do you know of other schemes worn by 64th or 65th AS F-5F's?

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for coming back with the info and left side pic ... I've only been able to find the right side of 73. I also came across your post mentioning you were thinking about doing 73 also, right after I posted my question. Funny, I'm going to have to rearrange the nose and LERX parts the same way you did.

Stefan,

The Colors and Markings book on USAF Aggressors also has pics of 83-0072 in Sand and 83-0074 in modified Flogger, both F's in the 64th. Pg 41. Think there was a pic of an all gray F in the 65th but will have to look again.

Edited by Gary F

Hi Stefan,

Checked the C&M book again and it has from the 65th, 82-0089 in overall gray with a lighter gray radome, and 82-0090 in two tone gray. Both with blue nose numbers with white outlines.

cheers

Great info again, Fred. :thumbsup:/>

I was not even aware that the 64 and 65th AS operated F-5F's for a while.

It looks like 73 there is in the "Old Blue" scheme. Do you know of other schemes worn by 64th or 65th AS F-5F's?

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan and Gary,

Here's a couple of pics from my archives of some F-5Fs from the 64th and 65th AS. This is pretty much all that I have on these jets with the exception of 74. I have an outstanding slide of the left side of it, but I have yet to scan it. HTH, Fred.

F5F30072NELLIS_zps1d561ad4.jpg

F-5F82-008965thAS89_zpse839a5dc.jpg

F-5F82-009065thAS90_zpse548c9e2.jpg

Hi Fred,

Thanks for coming back with the info and left side pic ... I've only been able to find the right side of 73. I also came across your post mentioning you were thinking about doing 73 also, right after I posted my question. Funny, I'm going to have to rearrange the nose and LERX parts the same way you did.

Hi Gary,

Here's another shot of 83-0073 that may help you out more. Its with the 425th TFTS at Williams in this shot, but its still wearing the blue scheme from its short stint with the 64th AS.

F-5F83-0073425thTFTS_zpsc402c980.jpg

Here it is again after repainting into the 425th's standard ADC gray scheme. This jet, along with 83-0072 and 83-0074 were sold to Brazil when the 425th shut down in 1989.

F-5F83-0073425thTFTSr_zpsc86fe9c6.jpg

Enjoy ;0) Fred.

You mean this one.... ;0)

F-5E73-0883160795VFA-12721L6-90_zps00c29703.jpg

I've wanted to build this one in 32nd scale for some time, but haven't been able to piece together all of the decals that I need. One day! Fred.

I am speechless !!! Where do you find all these incredible photos?????? First, the #55 A-4E, now the VFA-127 F-5E!!!!!!

You make me feel like I don't have enough references and believe me, I do have more than 12 books about the adversaries/aggressors and more than 8 magazines!!!!! Not to mention, the photos I have managed to gather during the past 20 years!!!!!

I am speechless !!! Where do you find all these incredible photos?????? First, the #55 A-4E, now the VFA-127 F-5E!!!!!!

You make me feel like I don't have enough references and believe me, I do have more than 12 books about the adversaries/aggressors and more than 8 magazines!!!!! Not to mention, the photos I have managed to gather during the past 20 years!!!!!

Hi Sernak,

Here's a few sites for you to check out. There's thousands of mostly unpublished photos on each site.

http://www.airliners.net/

http://www.airfighters.com/index.php

Also, this site is where I buy most of my slides from. I occasionally sell slides on it too, and I check it every day. If I find a scan of a slide that is something that I think that I can use, I will save that pic to a folder for future reference. Over the last ten years of visiting this site I have amassed quite a reference library, and not just aggressors ;0)

http://aircraftslides.com/

Enjoy! Fred.

Edited by f5guy

Hi,

Thanks, Fred and Gary, for looking those up.

I will definitely have to build one of those Nellis F-5F's...not neccesarily during this GB.

Is that the "Flogger" scheme on 74?

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

Modified Flogger is a "catch all" description for any scheme that is designed to simulate the Flogger, but doesn't follow the official pattern or colors, or sometimes both. Its basically a variation of the Flogger scheme. Take care ;0) Fred.

Did you notice that the exhaust section on this jet is painted tan? Very unique! Fred.

Did you notice that the exhaust section on this jet is painted tan? Very unique! Fred.

Yeap! Probably it is the work of a "civilian" !!!

By the way, I had a look at the websites you're mentioning (thanks) but, with such a large stock, it's like looking for 'needle in a haystack'.

Adding the AFV F-5F, probably 83-0073 in Blue.

You've got quite a line up in the works for this build Gary! With all this talk of Nellis F-5Fs, I'm thinking of changing my mind back to my original plan and finishing my F as 072 in the sand scheme. I've always liked the looks of the F in that scheme, and the three digit nose numbers have always intrigued me. The biggest issue for me is having to mix the paint to get the colors right. I suspect it will be tough. It would sure look cool when its done though ;0) Fred.

Fred, 072 is a very eye pleasing scheme, and I don't usually go for the brown type schemes ; )

I'm going to focus on the F-5's and tinker with the F-21 as time permits, we'll see how it goes.

At the moment I'm having a minor fit issue with the fwd fus halves on the F being able to close properly around the pit tub and can't quite find what's in the way. Probably just a touch of sanding somewhere ...

Fred, 072 is a very eye pleasing scheme, and I don't usually go for the brown type schemes ; )

I'm going to focus on the F-5's and tinker with the F-21 as time permits, we'll see how it goes.

At the moment I'm having a minor fit issue with the fwd fus halves on the F being able to close properly around the pit tub and can't quite find what's in the way. Probably just a touch of sanding somewhere ...

Hi Gary,

I'm excited to see your F when its done! 73 is on my hit list as well, so it will be nice to see it done. One thing that I keep forgetting to mention is that there are some old Superscale sheets that are a great source of aggressor nose numbers. The sheet is 72-572 Russian Nose Numbers. They are perfect in size for 48th F-5E/Fs, and the font is dead on too. They are two piece decals and come in several colors, so you can mix and match to get some of the harder to find nose numbers. Here's a pic of 73-0865 that I did with them.

DSC_2922_zps612e7295.jpg

Before Twobobs and Afterburner released their aggressor sheets, this was my main source of numbers. Likewise, sheet 48-332 is the same sheet in 48th scale, and is perfect for 1/32nd scale builds. HTH, Fred.

Fred,

Thanks formthe tip on decals. I've got quite a few 72nd MS/SS sheet so I'll have to have a look thru them. I was searching thru my older 48th sets for the sheet with the Keith Ferris F-5e on it but not finding that sheet ... probably have the 72nd sheet ... used to do that scale for many years.

Curious, have you done anything with your F-5 intake interiors? Or heard any good ideas on that area, for the AFV kits?

Fred,

Thanks formthe tip on decals. I've got quite a few 72nd MS/SS sheet so I'll have to have a look thru them. I was searching thru my older 48th sets for the sheet with the Keith Ferris F-5e on it but not finding that sheet ... probably have the 72nd sheet ... used to do that scale for many years.

Curious, have you done anything with your F-5 intake interiors? Or heard any good ideas on that area, for the AFV kits?

Hi Gary,

I don't have any method of dealing with the AFV kits intakes. I either plug them, or leave them open. It certinally seems like there would be a market for some seamless intakes..... wink wink, nudge, nudge.... ;0) Fred