1/48 scale MH-60R

Hi,

After a long break from building I decided to get back into the hobby -- I had forgotten how much fun it is. Thanks to all the great builders who display their work here and who got me fired up to start working on something other than the 1/1 scale birds!

I'm building a 1/48 scale MH-60R using the 1/48 Italeri SH-60B as a start point. My plan at the moment is to build it up in the ASW configuration with the dome installed, 1 aux tank, at least one torp, an M240 in the door and loaded buckets. Here are a few work in progress shots.

This is the cockpit at the moment. I put some rough bulkhead details in between the pedals and the nose e-bay to close up what you'd see through the open doors and the chin bubble windows. I plan to add a little more detail like wire harnesses and hoses up there, too. I cut down some of the kit seat attachments and drilled out the seatwells. Once I figure out how to build up the seat framework so it's stable I may take out the rest of the kit attachment points. The seat wells will get covered over so I'm not doing much there.

MH60R_2_zps82351c04.jpg

I built up the lower center console area under the instrument panel so it would seem complete and then decided that the kit lower center console seemed too low to me when I dry fit the seats. I added sheet Evergreen to build up the height and need to trim it down a bit to get the right slope back aft. Work in progress!

MH60R_1_zps8bc9f749.jpg

I'd welcome any comments or thoughts and will share more photos from time to time if there's interest!

Take care,

Dan

Cooll! I have a Sierra I plan to build eventually.

I'm curious on how you plan to make the displays and standby instruments on the instrument panel since there are no photo-etch sets available.

:cheers:/>

Edited by Dan 88

Hi,

I'm curious about that, too. I suppose I could always get a 1/48 scale QA to sign off on removal of 4 MFDs! Kidding aside, I'm thinking I'm going to make 4 rectangles from sheet and build up a very thin border for the bezel. The standbys might just be spare decals or small square cutouts. I'll take some photos when I try it so you can see what you think. Any particlar Sierra in mind? I'd like to try the blue throwback bird or one of the NSAWC ones.

Of course today I'm thinking 'hmm, could be fun to crack the tail or open the doghouse and scratch some of the upper deck details.' Will post a few photos Sunday night - I'm going to work the sticks and pedals.

Take care,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...