Differences between P-38J and P-38L?

I want to purchase a P-38, two kits are avilable at different hobbyb stores here in Lima, one is Academy's P-38J and the other is a Hobby Boss' P-38L, both in 1/72. I'm not Lightning expert so I'd like to know the differences between the types, specially if they'r external. I guess HB kit is simplier to build w/ sparse cockpit detail (as all 80XXX kits, 82XXX kits are better detailed). Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

P-38 suffered from a compressibility problem. The J model introduced dive flaps during the production run to try and solve this problem. So early J model would not have these dive flaps while all L model would have these. I believe the landing light was also moved form below the wing to the wing leading edge bon the L. There were probable more changes, those come to mind.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Murphy

According to the In Action book, besides the changes Geoff mentioned, the L had provision for underwing launcher "trees" for 4.5 inch rockets. It was also fitted with the AN/APS-13 tail warning radar, which apparently involved a small (horizontal?) antenna at the bottom of the starboard fin/rudder. Dunno if this involved different and/or additional black boxes in the aft cockpit area.

I like to build lates variants so I picked the HB offering. I checked it and I can say: The compressibility flaps are molded on, the fuel pump fairings are also there, no landing light is provided so I must carve an indent on the leading edge and fill it with clear sprue. I think an aerial mast is also missing. I've seen an air scoop that resembles a Me-109's just below the trailing edge on the outer side of the booms, this part is also missing. No radio boxes behind the pilot's seat so a little detailing is required in this area... Two fuel tanks are provided. I heard something about a fairing for gun camera was added for the "L" variant, I'd like to know how it looks. I think a very nice P-38L will come out of this kit. Best regards and Happy New year!

José.

I like to build lates variants so I picked the HB offering. I checked it and I can say: The compressibility flaps are molded on, the fuel pump fairings are also there, no landing light is provided so I must carve an indent on the leading edge and fill it with clear sprue. I think an aerial mast is also missing. I've seen an air scoop that resembles a Me-109's just below the trailing edge on the outer side of the booms, this part is also missing. No radio boxes behind the pilot's seat so a little detailing is required in this area... Two fuel tanks are provided. I heard something about a fairing for gun camera was added for the "L" variant, I'd like to know how it looks. I think a very nice P-38L will come out of this kit. Best regards and Happy New year!

José.

Here is a photo of the P-38L that is located at the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon. It shows the camera fairing you were looking for.

http://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2005/5095.jpg