Airbus A320 (w/ sharklets) 'Air New Zealand'

Here's a second entry from me to this GB. I will build this first, before starting my Britten Norman Islander.

It's an Airbus A320 in the newest Air New Zealand livery and equipped with Airbus' newest winglet type called 'sharklets' which closely resemble the B737's winglets.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Airbus-A320-232/2335018/L/&sid=c1ef771b0fad91204bcf08ce64c4e583

I will use Oldmodels Decals on this one as well. As soon as I have received them I will post a photo as well as some photos of the box and contents!

greets Jelle

My decals already arrived from New Zealand! It didn't even take a week :thumbsup:

anz1_zps32ab65dd.jpg

I won't use all of them, I will use the doors and window from the Revell sheet. I will only use the regs and logos. The white parts look great! The Air New Zealand titles look a bit messy, I might reprint them.

anz7_zpsa598ae80.jpg

I made the sharklets out of Revell's inaccurate 737-800 winglets. When my calculations are right they have the good length (also when regarding the angle between the wing and winglet). I sanded them in the right shape. They might not be 100% correct but it's good enough anz4_zps5b7023f3.jpg

anz5_zpse84bd887.jpg

IAE-2500 engines

anz3_zpscae64ba2.jpg

I sanded the cockpit window part flush with the fuselage. I still have to polish the windows so I can mask them.

anz2_zps268e71bd.jpg

Those sharklets look great on the A320!!

anz6_zps1e8e2182.jpg

greets Jelle

• 1 month later...

Here's a second entry from me to this GB. I will build this first, before starting my Britten Norman Islander.

It's an Airbus A320 in the newest Air New Zealand livery and equipped with Airbus' newest winglet type called 'sharklets' which closely resemble the B737's winglets.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-New-Zealand/Airbus-A320-232/2335018/L/&sid=c1ef771b0fad91204bcf08ce64c4e583

I will use Oldmodels Decals on this one as well. As soon as I have received them I will post a photo as well as some photos of the box and contents!

greets Jelle

I was killing some time out at Wellington airport yesterday and got some good views of one of these exact machines. I'm not quite sold on the new ANZ livery, but it looks good with the sharklets anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking sharp Jelle. Will you add the navigation lights in the final stages? I had problems with fitting them nicely to the wings. I am afraid you might damage the paint when adding them at the end of the build.

Looking forward to the result of your paint job. Good luck!

Hey Ingmar, I will use Kristal Klear for them. I never use the plastic ones, they won't fit anyway as the navigation lights on the sharklets are shaped differently.

Masking the black part will be quite tricky. Masking one side is easy, but getting the other side exactly mirrored is the challenging part!

The Oldmodels Decals did not work out as I had planned. They are VERY thick and did not want to follow the fuselage shapes at all. I used A LOT of micro sol and DACO extra strong decal setting. When I finally had them all surfaced to the fuselage I directly clear coated them to seal them.

See for yourself..

anz11_zps32f6c1c5.jpg

greets Jelle

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my late response but thanks guys!! B)

I liked taking part in this GB, I'll have to withdraw my BN Islander though of which I made another topic. I don't have enough time and I don't want to use the OldModels Decals anymore after the problems that I had with this one.

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman