1/48 scale MH-60R build

Evening,

I'm returning to the hobby with a 1/48 scale MH-60R build using the 1/48 Italeri SH-60B as a start point. My plan at the moment is to build it up in the ASW configuration with the dome installed, 1 aux tank, at least one torp, an M240 in the door and loaded buckets.

I started earlier with the cockpit and put some rough bulkhead details in between the pedals and the nose e-bay to close up what you'd see through the open doors and the chin bubble windows. I did some rework on the area tonight.

I had previously built up the lower center console but felt it was too tall when I dry-fit the seats. I trimmed the area down and added the three rows of panels to add some depth the console. If it doesn't look right after painting I may put a helmet on the console with a PCL to cover the area. I also added a lot of little structural stuff like the brackets for one FLIR hand controller, the brake handle and that foam padding that goes around the glareshield and the bottom of the instrument panel.

Here's a view of where it stands today:

GEDC0774_zps05dc9e38.jpg

Covers for the two collectives are installed and I began scratchbuilding the collectives themselves. The CPLT side collective will be stowed so that's the short handled one while the PLT side collective is the longer one. I also started cutting the kit pedals apart to get rid of the brace between the LH and RH pedal that is in the kit.

GEDC0774_zps05dc9e38.jpg

I'd welcome your recommendations and comments - I'm learning alot from seeing everyone's work here. More to follow over the next few days!

Take care,

Dan

Happy New Year to all! I got a bit done on the FLIR HCUs and collectives tonight but didn't have much time to work on it. Dave, thanks for the two links, appreciate it! There are some great images in there.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Romeo but one of those walk arounds has a slightly older configuration. The 404 in walk around 1 has the original style countermeasures buckets. Now the buckets are like what is shown on the 413. Thanks again, appreciate the help.

Take care,

Dan

Evening,

With the cold weather up in the Northeast it was a good night to build! I got a bit done on a range of areas. I'm hoping to get more done over the weekend, too.

This shows everything in one shot:

image_zpsb630c1c1.jpg

I'm using Evergreen angle to put master warning panels under the glareshield and strip and rod sections to create the seatback details. It's a return to the hobby so I'm going for what looks right to me and not worrying about exact dimensions on the seats. I also know on the Romeo the seatback won't be seen except for the SO station so these seats are a warmup!

This shows the seatbacks a bit better. It also shows the concept I have for the MFDs. I've taken a section of a sheet and cut it to shape and am now building up a boundary of 0.02 x 0.02 strip to create the bezel. I'm going to try and paint the glass with gloss black and the bezel with flat black. I think it should be good enough. We'll see how it goes! Since this will be a recently built Romeo I need to find a way to create the new cursor controllers in the cockpit.

image_zps820f5fc1.jpg

I'm working on the pedals, too. I split the kit pedals apart and still have to sand the strut that is covered by the boot. I'm attempting to build up the lower part of the pedal -- if you've seen an H-60 there's about 2/3rds of the pedal above the bar and 1/3rd below. That doesn't show up on the kit pedals so I'm trying to recreate it.

dbe65f9d-c1ab-45d5-a9a4-6f38819c9d08_zpsfc785325.jpg

Has anyone made helmet bags before? I'd be interested to know what methods you used to do so. I plan to have one hanging over the back of the seat and one on the PLT side. I would also be curious to know if anyone has ideas for adding that unique 'sheepskin' texture that the seats have. I was thinking about priming the seat and then sprinkling some talcum powder or something on the seat while the paint was wet. Any other thoughts appreciated!

Take care,

Dan