I'd like to try my hand at building biplanes, and I've tried to research how to do the rigging. Nylon monofilament has been recomended, but I have not really found precise information on what diameter the rigging should be. Some say they use size x, but they don't say what scale they build with it. If I want to build a 1/32 scale plane, what diameter should the filament be? What would be correct for 1/48 scale? What color should it be? I've looked at photos of actual airplanes, and sometimes the rigging looks silver, other times black, sometimes its grey.

G'Day Rocky. I build 72-scale and use fine white EZ-Line for rigging. I also used the same for a 48-scale Tigermoth.

I do not try to get the rigging diameter in-scale with the model, nor do I enter into the argument/s about the colour of the rigging because I reckon that the wires are usually natural metal. So, it'll look white in sunlight, and black when seen against a lit background (ESPECIALLY when the wire is in a shadow).

The problem with EZ-Line is that it provides NO structural support, BUT, as it will stretch, it will remain tight and it doesn't care if you bump or snag it.

PS - I build the lower-wing & fuselage sub-assembly, then superglue the EZ-Line into the lower-wing's strut sockets, glue-on the struts then stretch (by @ 5%) the EZ-Line, and finally, I glue-on the upper wing.

Good luck with your model, and have fun with it. George, out.............

In scale would not be measurable/visible, your best bet if you don't go with the EZ-Line is to get invisible thread from a fabric store, it will be a smoke gray and looks very realistic in scale.

Curt

100_6297.jpg

For 48th scale biplanes I use invisible thread Netz has mentioned. Mine is smoke color and doesn't have any size information listed. Bought it at Jo-Ann fabric, I think. For control cables I sometimes use very fine fishing line; mine is 2 lb/0.9 kg, 0.08mm diameter, clear; it's thinner than the invisible thread.

HTH

• 2 months later...