CD48059 - B-58 Hustler

It was about two years ago I saw it. I just might have to take another trip down there.

I don't know exactly when they took the TB-58 from Galveston. I did once see a website that mentioned it and I thought it was at least two years ago. Here's an article from last year showing it at Little Rock:

http://www.littlerock.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123347304

I like both evaluation schemes, but the early one is my favorite. Both of them will be among the options on the sheet.

b58draft01.jpg

The first prototype was probably the most colourful of the lot, and when it carried the initial markings, the belly pod was not fitted, emphasising the sleekness of this aircraft. Don't know if it is worth mentioning in the instructions, but this airframe (for the colour schemes shown) had the short J79 nozzles similar to those fitted to F-4B/C/D. The Monogram kit only comes with the long exhaust nozzles fitted to later aircraft, and the Aires exhaust set is again long nozzles only. The Aires F-4B/C/D exhausts are way too small in diameter - I am convinced the Monogram nacelles are too big in diameter at the rear. The Aires F-104C/J/early G exhausts are slightly on the small side too even if they are larger in diameter than the F-4 exhausts.

Jens

The first prototype was probably the most colourful of the lot, and when it carried the initial markings, the belly pod was not fitted, emphasising the sleekness of this aircraft. Don't know if it is worth mentioning in the instructions, but this airframe (for the colour schemes shown) had the short J79 nozzles similar to those fitted to F-4B/C/D. The Monogram kit only comes with the long exhaust nozzles fitted to later aircraft, and the Aires exhaust set is again long nozzles only. The Aires F-4B/C/D exhausts are way too small in diameter - I am convinced the Monogram nacelles are too big in diameter at the rear. The Aires F-104C/J/early G exhausts are slightly on the small side too even if they are larger in diameter than the F-4 exhausts.

Jens

The Monogram nacelles are known to be too wide. I recall hearing that the correct size nacelle would fit inside of the Monogram nacelle. That could be a stretch but...

Bring... It... On... The stash has been ready for a few years now...

B-58Stashcopy_zps1b51635f.jpg

IMG_4317copy_zps9e47d675.jpg

IMG_4475copy_zps8e6873c5.jpg

IMG_4499copy_zps76cf5173.jpg

I'm at the point where I think I'll be happy putting one together, then spraying it whatever silver spray bomb I can get over here (Krylon anyone?), slap some decals on it, and call myself a modeler again...

For a while there, back some years ago, I was in direct communication with the owner of Fox One Decals, and I manage to secure one of the B-58 sheets, plus a few of the smaller common markings/stenciling sheets.

I'm with Bulldog, and would love to see some Carswell based birds.

Kursada, will at least one aircraft on this sheet have the SAC badge and sash on the nose?

Of course - I have only shown profiles of two evaluation aircraft for the time being, but most of the aircraft depicted on the sheet will be operational SAC aircraft. I have covered every operational unit; and tried to include aircraft with significance while minimizing overlap with subjects previously done elsewhere. Yes, the obligatory (though most likely non-existent) camouflaged example will be there, too. I will post profiles for all of the options in a week or so.

Operational Hustlers were not very colorful, but many of them were decorated with names or subtle nose art. The sheet will have no fewer than 10 of these "named" aircraft. Most of these were never done in decal form before; but I could not resist doing some of the more significant ones that were done incorrectly in the past (more on these later). Here are two more options from the sheet: "Hoosier Hustler" (59-2461) was the first operational Hustler to be based at Bunker Hill (Grissom). "City of Kokomo" (60-1119) was lost in a tragic accident in 1966.

Note: I chose to draw the pod and the aircraft separately for the instructions, and this is why the profiles show the aircraft only. There will be appropriate pod markings and information for all the options that were so equipped.

b58draft02.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I am working on the final layout and trying to get everything fit on the sheet. It's a challenge because of the 15+ options on the sheet, hopefully I will not have to remove more than a couple. There is something for everyone: both evaluation schemes, service jets from every unit and base, ARDC test beds, proposed SAC camo, significant aircraft such as Firefly and Star Raker (Bendix Trophy Winner), XB-70 chase aircraft, etc. If everything goes according to plan, this will be THE B-58 sheet to have in the next few years. Final layout coming this week.

Pulaski Hustler please sir.

I was raised on Little Rock Air Force Base and that is a dream model of mine to build...

Sorry, the Pulaski Hustler did not make it (but eighteen of its stablemates did) into the sheet. I was not able to find a single clear photo of this aircraft in the sources I used, so there were no references to use other than older decal sheets. I gave priority to other options that have never been done before(like the first aircraft scheme, Bendix trophy winner,Hoosier Hustler etc.) and even when spread onto three standard-size sheets, there was no space left for another option.

• 4 weeks later...

You need another Hustler...

B-58A "Cowtown Hustler"

59-2458

Bendix Trophy Winner

I am way ahead of you, young Padawan..I mean, Anthony Wan. 59-2458 is on the sheet as "Star Raker", one of the names it wore immediately after it won the Bendix Trophy. The Bendix Trophy Winner script is also there.

This sheet is now at most two weeks away..hopefully I will be able to start selling it in March as I originally planned. I will post images of all three pages only when the set is ready for preorder. Eighteen marking options including all operating units, both evaluation schemes, several historically significant aircraft (Bendix Trophy winner "Star Raker", Mackay Trophy Winner "The Firefly", "Champion of Champions" from the short James Stewart film), a couple ARDC test schemes, the XB-70 chase aircraft, the mythical camouflaged example, complete stencilling (including variations). There will only be 300 sets available.

Edited by KursadA