1/48 B-29

Ya, you can say hijacked! I should have known this was gonna happen I guess. All I wanted to know is if there was aftermarket parts, not how crooked/twisted and unbuildable the kit is..... <_<

Well thanks just the same, I'm was hoping there were engines available for this kit, oh well. The kit props are not bad and much of the interior is not visible enough to justify the cost of PE interior. Though I do like the look of the eduard wheels. This build is for the bare it all GB so the main focus will be the foil anyway. I dont know what I'm gonna do for markings yet, there is one I'd like to build mainly because of the sexy nose art but there is no decal set for it and I dont have the money to have them custom made. I'm just gonna continue plugging away at it and see what happens....

Thanks for al the responses prior to the gaston thread jack.

At the very least it shows a lack of detail parts for a kit that has many variations and subjects to build. I did hear of using P-47 props , but I have no links to that. I did find some old True Details wheels as well ,digging around at a model swap meet. Eagles Talon did an X-1 (I think) set with B-29 mother ship parts as well. tough to find and lotsa $$$$$$$.

Dont worry about the hijack ,the parts shown are still in the same condition as I first saw them 4 years ago , little conviction for the argument.

A finished 1/48 B-29 would be a sight to see ,I'll

watch for that.

Edited by krow113

Eduard does have some interior stuff, cockpit mostly (which will be visible).

Eduard set one

Eduard set two

Just go ahead and build the monster... its YOU who likes it (thats my motto anyways)

Harald

ps I have one of those monsters (with a few CE sets as well) I'll be buidling Bocks' Car (if and when I get around to it..)

Listen to this, then watch this space how in the blink of an eye no one will back up their statements with photos...

You continue to amuse. Someone finally takes a little time to pay attention to you on your terms and you just get mighty pissy about it. Which I expected, actually.

Bottom line is crooked lines on crooked photos proves nothing. It certainly doesn't address the aftermarket engine issue. And if you had no interest in helping the OP, I have to wonder why you bothered at all.

But it was fun while it lasted.

Ken

I know it's pointless, but I just have to add my 2 quatloos worth (at least to the hijacked portion of the thread).

"This kit's original fuselage metal mould was warped, bent and twisted by heat-treating the metal halves clamped together from the very first pressing"

How does anyone warp 2 large chunks of steel weighing hundreds of pounds? Obviously you don't have a clue about the injection molding process. Molds the size of the B-29 mold just don't warp. If they were warped they couldn't be used on an injection molding machine without damaging it and I'm sure the good folks at Monogram back in the day weren't going to damage one of their very expensive injection molding machines because a mold was "warped". Impossible.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

To B-17 Guy: about 30 years ago I produced a set of INJECTION MOLDED Hamilton Standard props for the Monogram B-29 kit under the name 299 Models. Somewhat crude by today's standards, but definitely useable. I occasionally see a set of them on eBay...

To B-17 Guy: about 30 years ago I produced a set of INJECTION MOLDED Hamilton Standard props for the Monogram B-29 kit under the name 299 Models. Somewhat crude by today's standards, but definitely useable. I occasionally see a set of them on eBay...

Hi Terry,

I thought it was you that had produced those propellers. I forgot the brand name you were selling them under though. I used to have a couple of sets of the things, might still be in the stash if I look hard enough and deep enough ;)

I don't have the props, but I did have the 299 Models SB-17 conversion (I think I still have most of the conversion) and I built the PB-1W using his conversion and the Hasegawa B-17G. As was typical for the time (and the available molding technology) they were a little rough around the edges, but I had a lot of fun with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to crank out my Revell B-29 this year. Most of the interior is not visible once the fuselage halves go together, so the only aftermarket I'll be using on mine is Eduard wheels and self-adhesive cockpit details, and decals. I already filled the areas to the sides of the nose gear well with lead shot, so that should get me close for nose weight, and most of the opinions I've read on metal gear is that it isn't necessary. The bomb bay and landing gear doors need to have their interior surfaces detailed, but I'm not sweating the bays themselves. Once the thing is on its wheels, it won't get picked up much!

Even more daunting than the metal finish, for me, is the panel lines. And getting that cockpit greenhouse blended in right... Future and super glue will be my friends for that process, I think.

PS - I have a recent molding in gray plastic, and my fuselage halves look fine.

I would love to crank out my Revell B-29 this year. Most of the interior is not visible once the fuselage halves go together, so the only aftermarket I'll be using on mine is Eduard wheels and self-adhesive cockpit details, and decals. I already filled the areas to the sides of the nose gear well with lead shot, so that should get me close for nose weight, and most of the opinions I've read on metal gear is that it isn't necessary. The bomb bay and landing gear doors need to have their interior surfaces detailed, but I'm not sweating the bays themselves. Once the thing is on its wheels, it won't get picked up much!

Even more daunting than the metal finish, for me, is the panel lines. And getting that cockpit greenhouse blended in right... Future and super glue will be my friends for that process, I think.

PS - I have a recent molding in gray plastic, and my fuselage halves look fine.

I have the bomb bay doors and the main gear doors but, the molds are worn out and need to be replaced before I can cast more of them.

Cheers, Terry

• 10 months later...

SO,

this is all very entertaining (the stuff with all these nice lines, pics and what have you not), but does anyone make aftermarket engines, in 48th scale, for the "flawed" Monogram kit?

If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Harals

At the very least it shows a lack of detail parts for a kit that has many variations and subjects to build. I did hear of using P-47 props , but I have no links to that. I did find some old True Details wheels as well ,digging around at a model swap meet. Eagles Talon did an X-1 (I think) set with B-29 mother ship parts as well. tough to find and lotsa $$$$$$$.

Dont worry about the hijack ,the parts shown are still in the same condition as I first saw them 4 years ago , little conviction for the argument.

A finished 1/48 B-29 would be a sight to see ,I'll

watch for that.

P-47 props wouldn't work unless they were 32nd scale and even then they'd have to be reworked.

Hi Terry,

I thought it was you that had produced those propellers. I forgot the brand name you were selling them under though. I used to have a couple of sets of the things, might still be in the stash if I look hard enough and deep enough ;)/>

That was 299 Models, not me. I have the bomb and main gear doors but, they're OOP until can get the materials to replace the mold. I also have a conversion set for the B-29B/Silverplate aircraft. I have a couple sets of them left(I think!)

• 1 year later...

:blink: Whoa...!!! This thread just owes to be raised back to the first page...

this is all very entertaining (the stuff with all these nice lines, pics and what have you not), but does anyone make aftermarket engines, in 48th scale, for the "flawed" Monogram kit?

If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi, Harald.

Whut I'm doin' is modify the 1/48 Otaki Ki-84 kit engine. That kit was so cheap back in the day that I got it just for that purpose.

Will display one of the engines without the cowl (even when I paid dearly for one of the CE correction sets on evilbay).