Good bye to the light bulb

Is the bunker fully stocked for the pending zombie apocalypse as well?

I don't have a bunker, and could care less about the zombie apocalypse. Just wanted to put off having to buy more expensive light bulbs as long as possible.

BW

My comment was intended for those living in the US.

Per the information on the left side of my post, I'm in Livingston Montana which is in the USA and the information is current. Some is blended but plenty is not.

Ken

Just in case you didn't know, US Congressmen are exempt from insider trading laws and prosecution. It is legal for them to use their knowledge of pending legislation to purchase or sell stocks that may be affected by their votes.

after they quietly repealed the recent law that prevented them from doing so...

Regardless of one's own ideals on this subject, fact is the govts we elect have no business to arbitrarily ban what are known safe consumable devices or items. It's not that we found that incandescent light bulbs are dangerous or deadly to us all. It's a purely politically and IMO overly idealistic talking head position that brings in silly laws as this.

I understand we need regulations and laws but surely on a scope of social and public safety/health issues many other things need be focused on by our general idiot minded govts. and their bureaucratic fools.

CFL's IMO are toxic and more dangerous and do not save the electricity and money their cheerleaders say. I know what I get when I use a regular bulb. I know the quality of light and the easy way to dispose of it safely once I need too. Long life incandescent bulbs do not cost much more than regular ones too. Halogen bulbs offer some electricity savings and still give better light. In the future LED's may be the best solution. I use them in some places but they are still pricy. I ditched CFL's for the $hitty light they give and the safety and toxic issues too. Also for the fact that they do not last as long as told to us.

Govt. can but out and leave the market to decide OK!?! JEEBUS one would think in this case free market thinking folks would agree with this POV?

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

I'm going to the US next weekend, should I smuggle in a bunch of incandescent light bulbs?

People smuggle cheese, so why not light bulbs...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/police-officer-charged-in-cross-border-cheese-smuggling-1.1159807

Edited by RiderFan

All I see is a lobby got in a regulation in order to make money and the justification is "the environment"

I'm sure their backup would have been "the children"

All studies must be funded and its hard to secure follow on funding if you don't publish the intended result.

If the tech is all that "better" then the market would have flocked to it and no social engineering would have been required.

Don't forget "Safety."

Based on your logic we should do away with all laws.

Well that is exactly what he said. :rolleyes:

We don't need any laws against murder because the government shouldn't have to tell you not to kill.

this is important:

Murder isn't wrong because its illegal, its illegal because its wrong.

Hopefully your mind is sufficiently blown. Also a lot of laws are written to broad and then interpreted by the courts later. Have you noticed how there is no "just murder" but many degrees of murder under the law?

Something being legal doesn't make it "right"(congressional insider trading, and benefits for life) and just because something is illegal doesn't make it "wrong" (like say a black woman sitting in the front of a bus, or women not being allowed to vote)

The Idea that there is a law on something and that solves it, or stops all argument is pretty naive. Remember when marijuana was legal and it was everywhere? then they made it illegal and suddenly you can't find it anywhere? LOL Pot is still illegal federally but many states contradict that law.

as for the IRS you are not legally protected from their advice (so if someone from the IRS says to do your taxes a certain way and that turns out to be incorrect, the fault still lies with you.) not to mention Tax law is a bit of a weighty subject to say the least,and not even the IRS expects its own employees to give sound advice. lots of tax laws contradict as well. 48 percent of the US population doesn't pay federal taxes and are exempted from them. so for a lot of people there is no law that says they have to pay their taxes. However, IMHO they should as it is the "right thing to do"

see how this all gets tricky? Now I think his original point was not so much about seat belts, but just the idea that a lot of laws are not as straight forward and "for the public's own good" as a lot of people like to think. So why does that matter? Well now that health insurance is mandatory in the US, it will be fun to see the laws that are made to protect health insurance company's bottom lines in the name of "public safety." and then to see all the caveats and loop holes that will be written in to exclude certain groups. But of course if its for safety, why would you want to leave anyone out?

my big qustion is if i used LED light bulbs which ones should i use in my model building so i get true light to work with. cuz i sure hate those pig tale things

Here's a nice graphic of the Kelvin scale and how it relates to light bulbs.

cfl-kelvin-colors-temperatures.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new budget deal in Congress will ban enforcement of doing away with incadescent light bulbs. Don't throw yours away yet. They are still useable and can be made and sold in the U.S.

Frank

ATL

'bout time somebody stood up for Rudolph's rights! :woot.gif:

Bill

I switched over to LED bulbs in the areas I spend the most time in:

IMG_8268_zps651c4301.jpg

IMG_8270_zps9ba47b77.jpg

You can see the difference (if you look hard enough) in the color, this photo having the artwork lighted by a 100W incandescent.

IMG_0578_zpsf8b69839.jpg

Of course, after I spent close to $60 on the LED bulbs, I put everything in storage, move back over here to the desert, and rent out the house. I hope my tenants are enjoying those bulbs... :D