Somalia Mig21MF

Righto.

My entry into the group build was going to consist of being a Mig21MF in Indian Air Force colours, but Jiri of JBDecals 'persuaded' me to get some of his markings for the Mig and I decided to use them for this instead. (see http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888#p13287 back in August? geeze.. where has the time gone?)

mig21mf01.jpg

So, after a little bit of work where I see how smooth this aircraft is to put together, I find that I have to do it at night -mostly. Why? A certain toddler wants to grab everything in reach (and beyond). sigh.

So the Xmas break comes up and I am frantically diving into this to complete.

I found that-

the tailplanes just press into place - No glue needed :)/> Awesome fit Eduard.

when pressing the tailplanes in be carefull not to bend the forward points on the end of them.

the ejector seat also just slides in.

The 'hump' running the length of the fuselage prevents a dirty big seam from being visible. Nice planning Eduard.

So, with paint starting to appear on it I think that (hindsight) this kit should be undercoated in stainless steel/aluminium to allow for 'chipping' usage/aging etc. Particularly with one in Africa - Somalia no less.

Paints used are Humbrol H65, H78 and H71. With the colour dried and 'Kleared', a better colour could have been H116/117 or H86. Oh well. The 'engine' was painted with H53, H56 and Model Master Buffing Steel.

I have applied the decals today (I see there are no stencils in the Eduard kit ones - I am a bit suprised at that) which were 6 stars and the two numbers.

Still to do - Undercarriage tidying up, centreline tank pylon, trying to apply a fading wash (with brush) to dull the colours down a bit and add some 'dirt' to the base.

mig21mf02.jpg

Edit- a custom mix of colours for the cockpit. Tamiya translucent blue and green, H78 and something else I think. I think it is close..... ish. <shrug>

Edited by Wege

Wash (Humbrol 103 and thinners) is on... I am happy with how that looks.

Golly. :D/>

Now to wait for it to dry/set/cure etc

Edit- I should have removed the maskings first before the wash to allow the dieletric panels to be 'washed'. Ah well, the tape is removed and a wash/coat will occur soon :)

Edited by Wege

picture updates.

mig21mf03.jpg

some masking, some feet, some paint. etc :)/>

mig21mf04.jpg

ALMOST done.

Just attaching probs, still to do the nose wheel doors, a final wash. I dunno if I should 'wash' the canopy though.

Speaking of the canopy, it is very clear! If you do go the Eduard Photoetch for the 1/144 MiGs, the etch should stand out rather nicely inside.

The masking of the canopy is very tough (I think) to get right. Quite a bit of tidy up and I still haven't got it right as there are a few pieces that have to overlap. I don't know if it is as thin as the tamiya tape. Maybe.. maybe not. It is the same yellow. Oh well.

Right. now to wait for the glue to dry (of the main probe) and then the smaller side probe, more touch up painting (and the stuff above) :)/>

Edit- you may be able to just make out through the upper starboard star some of the paint demarcation line beneath it.

Edited by Wege

Carpet monster struck!

The one of the front landing gear doors went 'ping' from my tweesers.

After 10mins of looking and me then thinking ok.. I will see what I can do to make it from scrap, I then go even further away from where I *thought* that the door went and find it!

After a few minutes trying to fight to get the piece into the correct place I then notice that the very tiny air data tube went missing!

That I will definitely have to try to make up now. Blast.

Completed. JUST.

Phew.

Gave it a final wash over some of the bits that needed repainting.

Made up the other probe- I cut up the spare main probe that is included. It was nigh on perfect. phew.

The photos don't do it justice... (or is that "I" don't do it justice :D)

mig21mf09.jpg

Rest of the shots are in the completed thread.

I am annoyed that time ran over - I would have loved to have done another African Mig. Ah well, it was certainly neat looking at the craft provided. Cheers all and sundry and my thanks to Vince14 for the efforts and trials involved as well as the gracious support by the sponsor (who woulda thunk!) Harpia Publishing. Thank you sirs!