Dutycat Arts Beanie Cap available once again

Greetings everyone and Happy New Year.

I just wanted to let interested folks know, before heading for ebay, that the Dutycat Arts Beany Cap for the Monogram 1/72 space shuttle is once again available for purchase. The new castings are being created from a fresh new mold featuring enhanced tile relief (even in the star tracker ports) and easier window glass installation. There are 12 small pieces of glass included for the windows (8 are needed, the rest are for practice). These have to be marked with a scriber, cut to shape using a provided template, and carefully installed.

Two page directions are included.

Keep in mind that this is a "garage made" product which is being poured, not pressure cast, and due to the complicated shape, most castings will have minor flaws such an air bubble or two.

A video about the Beanie Cap can be viewed here:

Cost is $25, including domestic shipping. Paypal address is dutycat@gmail.com. Thanks!

Gil Gregg

Edited by DutyCat
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Gil,

Over the years I have bought 7 Monogram Shuttles, with and without SRB/ET. I plan to build all six orbiters plus a spare.

But I have only started building 2 of them because I came across the same problems that you showed in your videos.

I will build them eventually but it was more important to buy them while they were available.

With that in mind, I would like to buy 6 of your beanie caps. I would happily pay in advance but there would be no rush to have them made and shipped (to Australia).

Cheers

Doug

Hi Gil,

Over the years I have bought 7 Monogram Shuttles, with and without SRB/ET. I plan to build all six orbiters plus a spare.

But I have only started building 2 of them because I came across the same problems that you showed in your videos.

I will build them eventually but it was more important to buy them while they were available.

With that in mind, I would like to buy 6 of your beanie caps. I would happily pay in advance but there would be no rush to have them made and shipped (to Australia).

Cheers

Doug

Doug, contact me at dutycat@gmail.com. I just did a production run this past Monday. Took me all day, but now I have a dozen ready to go. Once this lot sells out I will probably have to make a new mold as I am starting to have difficulty demolding and I expect a tear soon. I might not get around to making a new mold until this summer.

-Gil

Just got mine blended in last night. Man, it really makes the Shuttle look good! But now I'm sitting here cutting out a bazillion little heat tiles to glue on the top surface to match your molded in tiles! Already did the back. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I know I am.

Edited by Scott Smith

Just got mine blended in last night. Man, it really makes the Shuttle look good! But now I'm sitting here cutting out a bazillion little heat tiles to glue on the top surface to match your molded in tiles! Already did the back. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I know I am.

Hey Scott, Will you be posting a build thread with pictures of your Monogram Shuttle build? I'd like to see the tiles your are adding and DutyCat's beanie cap installed.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

You must be doing early Columbia, or Challenger, as they had the tiles all over the nose. If you were doing late Columbia or the three "block II" shuttles, the tiles are only around the windows as I have them represented.

Edited by DutyCat

Let me first say, I'm not a "tile counter", but just looking at some photos on the internet of shuttles and it might be the Columbia I'm looking at. Just looking to bring out some more details on this slick model. Not trying to win any contests or 100% accuracy. But here's a few photos. What I am doing is gluing down .010 thick styrene tiles I'm cutting out of Evergreen sticks. After the glue dries, I then sand it all flat with a small sanding block. the nose has not been sanded yet, so it is still a work in progress.

20140224_074357_zps32baf542.jpg

20140224_074417_zps37c379e8.jpg

Some of the larger gaps I'll use a little filler to hide them some. kind of like grouting the bathroom tiles!

Here's the tiles I did on the back side after sanding them down.

20140224_074405_zps96505afd.jpg

Edited by Scott Smith

I am liking what you've done but just an FYI that might make your life a little easier. AFAIK, none of the shuttles have "tiles" on the nose cone. It appears for all practical purposes a single smooth piece as shown in this photo.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/664907main_EC82-20211.jpg Yes it's made up of pieces, but they are very very tight and don't look tiled like the others.

There are tiles immediately behind the nose, but not as far up as you're showing. Just thought I'd point that out. Looking good though. :thumbsup:

Bill

The white tiles are also on the front and lower rear of the OMS pods on Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour and Columbia in the later years.

Yeah, I know about that. I was talking about the front of the shuttle topside area.

Edited by DutyCat

Scott, Nice work on the tiles so far! :thumbsup: You should start a build thread here at ARC.

Bill, I think the tiles look like they are going a bit farther behind the nose due to the distortion (Parallax error) caused by the wide angle camera lens. In this picture below of Endeavour the tiles behind the nose cap also look like they go up too far. :)

Mike.

05STS-134OV-105Processing-05.jpg

Edited by crowe-t