Unnoficial "Weight Loss Group Build"

I've been on a Paleo diet for almost a year and I can tell you that it definitely works! Before I started I was 185 lbs. Now I'm 160 lbs. and have held that weight for the last 5 months. I was losing about 1-2 lbs a week. I went from a size 36" waist down to a 31". My love handles disappeared! It's a big adjustment though because I avoid processed grains including whole grains (pasta, rice, beans, tortilla, etc.) I also avoid processed sugars, dairy products and table salt, however you can use sea salt if you want salt. I drink plenty of water and eat lean proteins, vegetables (no potatoes with the exception of sweet potatoes), nuts and fruit. I prefer organic and Gluten-free products if possible. One of the first things you will notice is that the cost of your groceries will be much higher when you're on a Paleo diet because you tend to cook more and eat out less. That being said, I do treat myself to a couple of cheats a week :P , but even that is dicretionary. In addition to the Paleo diet, I also do something called Crossfit 5 days a week. It's very intense physical training but I enjoy it! If you can maintain the Paleo diet you will be amazed at the results. Good luck! :wave:/>

Edited by Cyrus Tan

Good work. I forget, maybe you mentioned it somewhere in this thread: What are you doing different to lose weight?

Nothing w00t.gif !

The holidays are gone (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) and so is the holiday snacking and eating.

Like I explained earlier; Simple mental calorie-count of the total calorie intake per day based on the weight I want to be at. This creates a slight calorie deficit (~450cal).

Once I start riding the calorie deficit will increase greatly.

What is your target weight?

I've been on a Paleo diet for almost a year and I can tell you that it definitely works! Before I started I was 185 lbs. Now I'm 160 lbs. and have held that weight for the last 5 months. I was losing about 1-2 lbs a week. I went from a size 36" waist down to a 31". My love handles disappeared! It's a big adjustment though because I avoid processed grains including whole grains (pasta, rice, beans, tortilla, etc.) I also avoid processed sugars, dairy products and table salt, however you can use sea salt if you want salt. I drink plenty of water and eat lean proteins, vegetables (no potatoes with the exception of sweet potatoes), nuts and fruit. I prefer organic and Gluten-free products if possible. One of the first things you will notice is that the cost of your groceries will be much higher when you're on a Paleo diet because you tend to cook more and eat out less. That being said, I do treat myself to a couple of cheats a week :P/> , but even that is dicretionary. In addition to the Paleo diet, I also do something called Crossfit 5 days a week. It's very intense physical training but I enjoy it! If you can maintain the Paleo diet you will be amazed at the results. Good luck! :wave:/>/>

Cool stuff.

Firrst week and all and things have been going pretty well. There's a little learning curve but I've found plenty to eat. I wind up checking the nutritional content of everything trying to avoid sugar. Milk has a good amount, but most cheeses don't, and I love cheese :) I do eat me some chili beans and a little potatoes. I'm starting to crave some beer and might need to treat myself soon.

• 2 weeks later...

How much can you bench

I don't know, I haven't done it in years. Nearly a worthless exercise IMHO unless you play football.

Back when I was in College, I did bench 300+ lbs. Don't remember what I maxed out at.

General Update: Put a couple pounds on last week due to work travel. I'll loose it again fast. Long days, lots of car and plane sitting, restaurant food. I actually stuck to the Paleo thing pretty well as work is paying for dinner and I can eat whatever is on the menu (steak, seafood!). I did not have one beer! :blink:

I was down in Louisiana and even got the chance to stop by the Duck Dynasty company store in Monroe. I'll post some pics later.

Of course, I was actually down there to work! I had about an afternoon of free time one day due to parts not being available and such. The weather in central Louisiana was very springlike having come from Northern Iowa. It was a real treat to work outside in the fresh air.

B3F495FA-C37B-427E-857E-D1A741B6DC1C-1640-000030FFB27B381F_zps35304ed4.jpg

600CC0A2-D519-4033-8E2F-7D4192DD98D4-1640-000030FFE6543E5A_zpse2ef4e0f.jpg

That's the weight I'm 'stuck' at.

Isn't it so ironic w00t.gif ?

I'm at the weight you where want to be and other members here want to gain weight up to where I want to be down to (190lbs to 200lbs) rofl.gifBANGHEAD2.jpg !!

If only there was a good way to "trade" weight....

Still working on this! But I've hit a bit of a plateau at 8lbs weight loss. My work trip 1-week than my wife traveling the next week pretty much ruined my routine(didn't get to eat as I wanted, didn't get to exercise as I wanted). Hope to be back on track now.

I think I can still reach my goal of 10lbs for the month total, which will be a huge accomplishment. I'm actually enjoying the food selection of eating a lot of delicious animals. I was missing beer a couple of times and have only had 2 beers all month as a treat. :cheers: No sweets, trace amount of breads (pizza).

Coming down with a little cold right now, that can result in lost weight but I would not consider it a good thing as you don't actually get healthier and exercise when sick... shoveled some snow today because I had too. :bandhead2:

I don't know, I haven't done it in years. Nearly a worthless exercise IMHO unless you play football.

Back when I was in College, I did bench 300+ lbs. Don't remember what I maxed out at.

It has its utility, Its just a tad overplayed-- I wish Gold's had as many squat racks as they do benches :bandhead2: It should be at least equal. erring on the side of the squat racks. Fun times: try deadlifting at a Golds (bonus if you bring chalk) enjoy pointing out the golds emblem is a guy deadlifting when they tell you "you can't deadlift here"

golds-gym-puerto-vallarta-workout%203a.jpg

Congrats on your loss so far :thumbsup:

I'm losing too, down 5 lbs since the start of the year... the problem is I'm trying to gain :bandhead2:

This is a great thread! Coincidentally I have been doing alot more cardio with the intention of trying to trim up. I have been doing the Insanity workouts, some at home ab stuff on the swiss ball and alot of running.

During the first 4 weeks of Insanity I basically stayed at 204 lbs. During the 5th week I cut out all fatty foods and have been eating nothing but veggies and fruits. In that 5th week I went from 204 lbs to 196 lbs! (I'm 6'2" BTW)

And I'm not starving myself or doing anything unhealthy. I just eat things like carrots and celery instead of chips or junk food.

Edited by Fly-n-hi
  • 1 month later...

15 Pounds down! Still going strong.

Pants are looser, belt can sinch tighter, shirts are more roomy. I can definitely feel it easier playing basketball running up/down the court.

Lot's of Steak, venison, pork, fish, onions, butter, cheese, bacon & eggs. All things I love. I just leave out the bread and noodles. No sweets. I eat plenty of fruit and veggies for good carbs.

Going down to Louisianna again this week for work and I'm sure I won't loose weight. Good thing is work pays for the meals so I get to enjoy some good southern food.