Hey everybody, now that we've kicked off, here are the kits i plan on throwing together. Both will be OOB and in-flight:

First up is an Airfix 1/72 F-5E. I'll be using the markings from the 527th aggressor squadron:

cbce441d-9eb5-409e-9f1d-f7d42fb2b766.jpg

Also on the bench is the HobbyBoss 1/72 F-15C in 65th AS Blue Flanker camo:

e78fb6e8-9b05-4a7e-ba3f-96c8774c6b6c.jpg

Both of these kits are ridiculously simple, so the plan is to get the best I can out of them I can. More detail pics and updates soon!

Happy building, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses, fellas, and yup phantom, the Airfix kit especially is a bit of a hot mess.

A little bit of movement on these, and a bit of backpedaling. After painting and decaling the cockpits of both kits, I was really unhappy with the results, so they got stripped down. The F-5 cockpit will be painted, since it has some raised detail. I've ordered an Eduard Zoom kit (for the Academy kit) for the F-15, and will try to fit it to the HobbyBoss kit to add some detail to the cockpit. I also broke down and ordered a Quickboost seat for the Eagle, since the kit seat is a joke as well (so I lied! No longer OOB!) More progress on the cockpits soon.

The only pics to show right now are of the start of the F-5's base mount. I'm using some square plastic and brass tubing, and I'll have a friend of mine make wooden bases for each of the kits. I wanted the jets to be removable from the bases when all is said and done, so this seemed like the most elegant solution. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Edited by SatelliteChaser
  • 5 months later...

ok, so an update after not posting here during the whole GB! I had to change up my goals for the build, but i'm gonna finish SOMETHING, dammit! I've enjoyed seeing everyone else's builds throughout this GB, and am really impressed that most of the members can build so quickly and to such a high quality. My bench time has been (and remains) inconsistent, so getting into a groove is a challenge.

The F-15 got stuck back on the shelf after some assembly. The HB kit fits amazingly well, I closed up the air brake and wheel wells and you can't tell they were ever open. However, it's general detail is severely lacking. I'm thinking I'll steal the aggressor decals for use on a better kit somewhere down the road, and use the others included (33 TFW) to finish the HB one as another practice build. Sorry to those who might have wanted to see that one, but I'll finish it next for show in the Display Case.

As for the F-5: Due to the rapidly approaching end of the GB and (again) the abysmal detail of the cockpit in the Airfix kit, I've decided to paint out the inside of the canopy and not worry about cockpit detail. I've glued everything together for the most part, just have to fill and sand some seams, and start throwing paint around. I've also decided to do the Marines aggressor paint scheme, since there's only two colors to paint instead of three, and the desert colors look more appealing to my eye. I've sanded down the raised panel lines a bit, and will pre-shade the kit, but I won't worry about a wash or anything more advanced. It won't be pretty, but I'd just like to have something to show before the end of the month. No pics yet, I'll upload some as soon as I get some paint down!

more to come!

Joel