Bad boys past builds....inspiration.

In particular, when I see a Scooter or F-5 in adversary / aggressor colors that is pretty much all it takes to inspire me. That is what drove me to build this one just a few short months ago. It's Hasegawa's 1/48 TA-4J with Afterburner Decals.

IMG_5852_zpsa32cf59c.jpg

IMG_5855_zps00590df5.jpg

IMG_5859_zps75e194bf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my 32nd scale case with the seven Hasegawa builds that I'd finished when this pic was taken a number of years ago.

Picture086_zps34e5446b.jpg

I have since added this one....

nfws56003_zps59978ada.jpg

And just last year, this one....

DSC_2854_zps5b752b7b.jpg

Fred.

In particular, when I see a Scooter or F-5 in adversary / aggressor colors that is pretty much all it takes to inspire me. That is what drove me to build this one just a few short months ago. It's Hasegawa's 1/48 TA-4J with Afterburner Decals.

IMG_5852_zpsa32cf59c.jpg

IMG_5855_zps00590df5.jpg

IMG_5859_zps75e194bf.jpg

Great work Bill! I plan on building this one in 32nd scale eventually. Fred.

Fred (f5guy) would it be easy to take some pictures of the #41 and #42 F-5s from NFWS and upload them here?

Thanks

Here you go Sernak ;0) Fred.

DSC_2949_zpsc485cc86.jpg

DSC_2950_zps6b4c0966.jpg

32nd scale Hasegawa kit completely re-scribed with a TAC Scale resin seat, and some wiring added behind the seat. Microscale decals, and a scratch built ACMI pod. At the time that I built this, neither Verlinden or Black Box had come out with their cockpit sets yet.

DSC_2952_zpsbbe85524.jpg

DSC_2951_zpsca0bf7e9.jpg

Hasegawa kit completely re-scribed, Black Box cockpit set, decals from several different Microscale sheets. Note that this model represents this jet before it got the duckbill nose cone and wing root LEXs. It later wore a nearly identical scheme after it got the mods, and even later got black nose numbers.

DSC_2940_zps5e1013c9.jpg

My first build of the Hasegawa kit. TAC Scale resin seats, and a resin centerline pylon cloned from the Hasegawa A-4E kit. Decals are a mix of Microscale sheets, and the nose numbers are from a Hasegawa A-4F release cut in half and reversed (20 to 02). I also added Reheat canopy details.

DSC_2942_zpsc807e023.jpg

My second build of the Hasegawa TA-4J. TAC Scale seats, Reheat canopy details, and a cloned centerline pylon. Decals are from Microscale.

DSC_2941_zps7b3581a6.jpg

My last (for now) build of the Hasegawa kit. TAC Scale seats and cloned centerline pylon. Decals are from Microscale, and Tiger Wings, plus custom ALPS printed 04 and national insignia. This Scooter was the very first adversary jet that I ever saw in person way back in July of 1983. I was shooting pics on the transient ramp at Luke AFB when this jet came in and parked in front of me. I about peed myself, and instantly fell in love with aggressors! I'd wanted to model it for many, many years, and finally found a pic of the upper camo, and started building it right away.

More later, Fred.

Edited by f5guy

No problem. Just give me a day or two. Thanks, Fred.

Hi guys,

Here's the last of my 32nd builds.....

DSC_2944_zps9f68f3fc.jpg

DSC_2946_zps172f4318.jpg

Academy's F-18D back dated to an F-18B from VFA-125. I added Black Box resin seats, and Cutting Edge seamless intakes. I also spent a LOT of money on the Aires resin afterburners and exhaust cans set, and the damn things are too small and didn't fit! Same goes for the Rhino Resin set.... too small! $60 down the drain! I ended up using the kits exhaust cans, and the Aires exhaust interiors. Decals are from Twobobs, and I also made extensive use of custom masks by Kenny at Gators Mask. The national insignias on the wings, VFA-125, NJ, and MARINES titles, and several of the numbers were all masks. I knew it would be very difficult to get the markings that spanned two colors to line up correctly with the paint demarcation lines, so I opted for masks instead, which had the added bonus of providing markings in the exact same colors as the camo paint. During the building process, I dropped the canopy on my tile floor and broke it. I spent 18 months trying to get a replacement from Academy with no luck. Finally, Kinetic rereleased the kit with the option to build a single or two seat Hornet, so I ordered the kit and used the two seat canopy from it, and will eventually build the Kinetic kit as a single seater. It was a very prolonged build!

DSC_2953_zps0d0aeaa2.jpg

DSC_2955_zpsbbf52f67.jpg

Here's the Hasegawa kit again, completely re-scribed with the Verlinden cockpit set, and TAC Scale seat. The ACMI pod is scratch built. As soon as Twobobs did decals for this jet I got started building it. Having seen and photographed it in person, I knew how absolutely cool it looked! The masking and painting was a huge endeavor, and took several weeks to finish, but it was all worth it in the end.

DSC_2956_zpsa7e0fde5.jpg

DSC_2957_zps0bc9dd50.jpg

Another one of my Hasegawa F-5E builds. This one is also completely re-scribed, with a Black Box cockpit set. The unit specific decals are custom printed by Mike Grant. All other decals came from my spares box. Mike did decals for another VMFT-401 jet and a Topgun jet for me at the same time, but I have yet to use them.

That's all of my 32nd builds. I hope they inspire you guys to build more adversaries and aggressors, just as your builds have inspired me! Fred.

Edited by f5guy

SIMPLY :jaw-dropping:

Thanks for posting them Fred.

By the way, which Hasegawa kit is the one that gives the "shark nose" (also known as, duckbill nose cone) and extended LEXs?

I have an 1/32 Microscale decals sheet for the #41 NFWS F-5E but, I don't know which Hasegawa kit should I buy that will contain the previously mentioned features.

SIMPLY :jaw-dropping:/>

Thanks for posting them Fred.

By the way, which Hasegawa kit is the one that gives the "shark nose" (also known as, duckbill nose cone) and extended LEXs?

I have an 1/32 Microscale decals sheet for the #41 NFWS F-5E but, I don't know which Hasegawa kit should I buy that will contain the previously mentioned features.

Thanks for the kind comments Sernak ;0)

DSC_2964_zps76ff75ec.jpg

Either one of these kits has the duckbill nose cone and extended wing root LEXs. Neither kit has the earlier round nose cone and original LEXs, so you can't do either mod from this kit. These are good for late model F-5E/Ns only. The Swiss one has the chaff/flare buckets that you'll need for an F-5N.

Regarding #41 that I built.... I put the red turbine warning stripes on my model. Most of the time that it flew it did not have them. It only had them for a very short period after Topgun received it, and then they were painted over. Take care ;0) Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E

feb2209001_zps8175400d.jpg

Hasegawa F-16

f16nc_zpsf844f2a5.jpg

_10_01_2011_209_zps38fb89b9.jpg

Monogram F/A-18

_447_zps2894f967.jpg

Of course I've built many A-4's and F-5's in adversary markings in my day but they were long ago and no photos exist (at the time only 1 set of super scale decals were available :)/>

(at the time only 1 set of super scale decals were available :)/>/>

Oh, I remember those days. When the only thing we had were a few books with only the left or the right side photo of an F-5 and/or A-4 and the dream to build them all..... :huh:

Oh, I remember those days. When the only thing we had were a few books with only the left or the right side photo of an F-5 and/or A-4 and the dream to build them all..... :huh:/>

Remember having to go to the library to do research for a paper?

Remember having to go to the library to do research for a paper?

To be honest, I still do. I don't trust very much the web.

Now, back to those days=> I do remember going to my city's book store to have another look at those military aviation books (just a couple!) in order to see if I have missed building a detail!!!! And the guy from the book store looking at me with an angry look on his face because I wasn't buying!!!!!!!!

Oh, those were the days!!!!!