New Squadron F4U Corsair In Action book

This is in regards to one of the lost posts I was referring to a few days ago.

Does anyone recall seeing in a recent Squadron flyer where the Corsair In Action book was listed as new?

I just received mine, it was suppose to be updated wih new text and images (40 new photos). It isn't, it is the same re-release from 2010! I have all three of the Corsair In Action books, I thought this was a new revision. i am not sure why Squadron is listing it as "new."

Even Jim Sullivan said it was updated, at least I thought he had. As mentioned, a lot of posts were wiped when ARC went down last time. I can no longer find the thread.

Does anybody know if there ever was a Corsair book from "Outlet book company/random house publishing" It`s an old 80`s big flat book with huge nice foldouts, and i have most of these books and it says on the books rear what is planned to be released. Only thing i never actually came across the F4U book. Here`s a link to one of these cool titles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-38-Lightning-by-Outlet-Book-Company-Staff-and-Random-House-Value-Publishing-/141155056275?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item20dd7f3a93

If you don`t want to be dragged in by ebay`s lure, don`t click the link!

I don't know if the Corsair volume was ever released as a single, but I have on my shelf a tome entitled, "The Great Book of World War II Airplanes". It is a compilation of many titles that are written by several authors but all illustrated by Watanabe. The P-38 that you linked to on ebay is one of them; the Corsair is included in this book. I picked this one up back in the mid-80's in college, on discount at the campus bookstore. I have no idea about the availability of them now.

Does anybody know if there ever was a Corsair book from "Outlet book company/random house publishing" It`s an old 80`s big flat book with huge nice foldouts, and i have most of these books and it says on the books rear what is planned to be released. Only thing i never actually came across the F4U book. Here`s a link to one of these cool titles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-38-Lightning-by-Outlet-Book-Company-Staff-and-Random-House-Value-Publishing-/141155056275?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item20dd7f3a93

If you don`t want to be dragged in by ebay`s lure, don`t click the link!

I don't think it was ever released, perhaps due to the death of Jeffrey Ethell. I have 65-70 Corsair publications and that is one I never came across.

The book Joe refers to is in this listing:

http://www.theaviationindex.com/authors/jeffrey-l-ethell

FWIW, the only part of the big silver book that Jeff Ethell wrote is the P-38 section. The Corsair part is credited to Frederick A. Johnsen. There were some used copies listed at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=frederick+johnsen+corsair

I don't know if the Corsair volume was ever released as a single, but I have on my shelf a tome entitled, "The Great Book of World War II Airplanes". It is a compilation of many titles that are written by several authors but all illustrated by Watanabe. The P-38 that you linked to on ebay is one of them; the Corsair is included in this book. I picked this one up back in the mid-80's in college, on discount at the campus bookstore. I have no idea about the availability of them now.

Most of these titles are readily available on ebay. I think there might be a dozen titles or so. I think i have ten of these nice titles so far. It seems i am short the A6M & the F4U books. Although i have found these on ebay over the last six months, right now the availability is rather poor. I came across four of these titles by chance when looking through a sellers stuff in Wichita, Kansas. They were only $3-$4 each, and in very good condition. The ads had no pic, so i did some investigation and found these were the same books that sold for upwards of $20. The SUPERNICE foldouts was what dragged me in hook line and sinker. That is the -X factor right there! Yeah, it seems Watanabe is the main chief of these titles although it seems there are several authors. As for the Corsair being covered by the P-38 book, all i can say is the F6F has it`s very own title in this range ;-) ..unless you were referring to your world war II "air"planes title. Too bad if the F4U title never materialized :(

Edited by breadneck

Most of these titles are readily available on ebay. I think there might be a dozen titles or so. I think i have ten of these nice titles so far. It seems i am short the A6M & the F4U books. Although i have found these on ebay over the last six months, right now the availability is rather poor. I came across four of these titles by chance when looking through a sellers stuff in Wichita, Kansas. They were only $3-$4 each, and in very good condition. The ads had no pic, so i did some investigation and found these were the same books that sold for upwards of $20. The SUPERNICE foldouts was what dragged me in hook line and sinker. That is the -X factor right there! Yeah, it seems Watanabe is the main chief of these titles although it seems there are several authors. As for the Corsair being covered by the P-38 book, all i can say is the F6F has it`s very own title in this range ;-) ..unless you were referring to your world war II "air"planes title. Too bad if the F4U title never materialized :(/>

No, you misunderstand me. The Corsair is it's own volume, as is the P-38. The WWII Air Planes book I mentioned is a large volume that took all 12 of the singles and bound them together in one book. It's the whole set in one; a huge book - about 12 inches wide, 15 or 16 inches tall and a good 3 inches thick. Includes all the foldouts and artwork, and everything else. I think I paid about $20 for the whole thing when I got it off the clearance table in the bookstore.

Does anyone recall seeing in a recent Squadron flyer where the Corsair In Action book was listed as new?

Just received the January Squadron flyer, the F4U Corsair In Action (SS10220) is described as:

Updated and expanded with 53 exciting new photographs in 16 all new additional pages.

squadron.com has the same text in their description.

edit: I don't have the book mentioned above but I do have the earlier release, In Action #29, also by Jim Sullivan. It has 50 pages, the "new" release is said to have 80 pages, so that doesn't jive with "16 all new" pages.... :wacko:

Edited by habu2

Just received the January Squadron flyer, the F4U Corsair In Action (SS10220) is described as:

squadron.com has the same text in their description.

edit: I don't have the book mentioned above but I do have the earlier release, In Action #29, also by Jim Sullivan. It has 50 pages, the "new" release is said to have 80 pages, so that doesn't jive with "16 all new" pages.... :wacko:/>

I should have known better, it is the same book as released in 2010, 80 pages in both, same cover.

Kind of torqued Squadron put the "NEW" symbol on the earlier flyer. But my fault too for falling for it.

Lucky me, atleast i can say i own the new Squadron F4U "in action" title (#1220) Great news that the Watanabe F4U book actually exists! (hauls fool over to ebay to have another peek) Had no idea there was a complete shall we say "album" for these books!

Lucky me, atleast i can say i own the new Squadron F4U "in action" title (#1220) Great news that the Watanabe F4U book actually exists! (hauls fool over to ebay to have another peek) Had no idea there was a complete shall we say "album" for these books!

There are better deals on Amazon, anywhere from $15.00 to $55.00. Most in the $25-$30 range.