Masking airliner windows

Hi everyone. Usually, when I build airliners I opt for decal windows instead of clear ones, as I was under the impression that at such a small size (1:144) decals would look better. However, earlier this year I built a Zvezda SSJ-100 with did not have window decals, so i was forced to leave them clear. I actually quite liked the effect and would like to build my next airliners with clear windows.

The problem is masking off all those tiny cabin windows. For the SSJ, I bought a liquid masking solution and applied it to the clear window peice before glueing it to the inside of the fuselage. It worked OK, but the solution was very difficult to remove which resulted in several scratch marks around the windows from trying to remove it with a hobby knife, which ruined the effect. The way I see it, I have several options: 1)Cut out tens of little tiny peices of masking tape and apply them to the windows, 2)Leave out the clear window piece and fill in the window gaps with clear 'window-making glue' (or whatever it's called), or 3) put one long strip of tape along the clear window piece and cut off the excess, eaving tape only covering the windows, and then glue the window piece to the inside of the fuselage.

Which one of these is my best bet? Or do you think I should stick with the masking liquid? Am I missing any better methods? Thank you all for the help.

hamoody.

I always use clear drying glue such as PVA - it saves a whole lot of extra work and is very effective. Applied with a cocktail stick a 747 can be done in approx 30 mins - compare that to the time you'd spend masking each and every window!

Tom

I'm using Krystal Klear, which is essentially the same as Tom dexribed. I usuallly put 2-3 layers of klear into the cabin windows and leave it to dry after each application. This results in a nice blob which protrudes from the window. I then take a wet kitchen paper and "wet sand" the blob flush with the fuselage.

One more thing to consider, when leaving the cabin windows transparent it is good to paint the inside of the fuselage black. This reduces the "toyish" appearance drastically.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what did Eugeny K. on his great Zvezda Tu-154 build : http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=6938

The results are terrific.

Another method would be masking the windows, a topic exists here on ARC Forums but there are no photos so here's another link : http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=8293

Regards, Steven

That's what did Eugeny K. on his great Zvezda Tu-154 build : http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=6938

The results are terrific!

The results are stunning! :jaw-dropping:

His photography is amazing, too!

But, I'm not quite sure what was done there. What I can see:

• Sanded the window plastic to proper thickness here.
  • Painted the area around the windows here and here. I've seen this before, there's a helo build here on ARC that did this part.
  • Made a window plug master using conventional techniques here.
  • Manufactured many copies of the window plugs here. Are these poured resin?
  • Shows us the assembed, masked, plugged, and painted fuselage, also here. I have to assume the perfectly shaped window plastic isn't in place in this photo!

But, how did he actually use the plugs? Did he install the window plastic after he painted the assembled fuselage? Perhaps through the wing opening?

Edit:

There's a Union Flag on the page with an English translation of the text. Sadly, I still don't grok how he used the plugs :(

More stunning, that was his first airliner! :woot.gif:

Edited by David N Lombard