Super 68 - finished pictures added 7-26-14

Here is the finished Super 68. She really looks awesome on the floor of the Aviation Museum. The "Razor's Edge" art is spot on as the stencil came form the 160th. The configuration is also accurate for the Battle of Mogadishu.

Ray

DSC_3382_zpscdcad40a.jpg

DSC_3371_zps1935f2a3.jpg

DSC_3378_zpscd1211a4.jpg

DSC_3416_zps0457e95f.jpg

DSC_3404_zps0983ffe3.jpg

DSC_3403_zps90bb8801.jpg

DSC_3398_zps36edd7ac.jpg

DSC_3397_zps34e423e7.jpg

DSC_3387_zpsbd8d61c1.jpg

DSC_3383_zps412fbdb3.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

That is cool. They should add the cowling art back to it though. That is new news that Super 68 was hit as well. All my prior research indicated that Super 68 was not shot down in Op Gothic Serpent. It was there as the designated Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) aircraft.

I was tracking only three aircraft were shot down:

Super 61 'Thunderstruck' tail # 91-26324, Walcot's bird

Super 62 was not named, tail # 83-23882

Super 64 'Venom' tail # 89-26188, Durant's bird

The downing of Super 62 was not depicted in the movie Black Hawk Down. It was the insert bird for Sergeant First Class Randy Shughart and Master Sergeant Gary Gordon. Shortly after inserting them, Super 62 was struck in the fuselage by an RPG. The whole right side of the aircraft was opened up and the sniper manning the right door gun had his leg blown off. The aircraft was able to make it out of the battle area to the port area where they made a controlled crash landing.

More info here

I have found this from an award write-up of one of the Pararescuemen on Super 68.

- Retired Air Force Master Sgt. and Pararescueman Scott Fales received U.S. Special Operations Command’s highest honor when he was awarded the 2012 Bull Simons Award in Tampa, Fla., May 23. This lifetime achievement award, named for Army Col. Arthur “Bull” Simons, honors the spirit, values, and skills of the unconventional warrior.

- In August of 1993 Fales was assigned to Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. On the fateful day of Oct. 3, he led the search and rescue of “Super 61” a Black Hawk helicopter shot down by a rocket propelled grenade. Fales and fellow PJ, Tech. Sgt. Timothy Wilkinson, who would earn the Air Force Cross for actions at Mogadishu, were flying in “Super 68” toward the crash site.

- Some things that strike me about his actions on the third and fourth of October, them going into the fray the way they did, going down the ropes, firefight ensuing, the helicopter they are fast roping from gets hit by an RPG while they are on the ropes and all hell is breaking loose,” Rodriguez said. “After he gets wounded, he continues to care for the wounded and returned deadly accurate fire, and at one point, finally has to give himself an IV to keep from going into shock. Just amazing.”

- For his actions that day Fales received the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. Lessons he learned that day would provide the foundation for future combat search and rescue (CSAR) training to both active duty SOF and the Joint Service Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Agency.

This is MSG Fales w/ Super 68 in the Mog.

1993%20Somalia%20Me%20in%20front%20of%20Super%2068%20CSAR%20Bird%20Web.jpg

From another website

"Super 68 was hit in the rotor blades by an RPG."

This reaises new questions.

So there were four aircraft downed that day? Or are Super 62 and Super 68 being confused? The damage sounds similar.

Edited by HeavyArty

That is cool. They should add the cowling art back to it though. That is new news that Super 68 was hit as well. All my prior research indicated that Super 68 was not shot down in Op Gothic Serpent. It was there as the designated Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) aircraft.

The downing of Super 62 was not depicted in the movie Black Hawk Down. It was the insert bird for Sergeant First Class Randy Shughart and Master Sergeant Gary Gordon. Shortly after inserting them, Super 62 was struck in the fuselage by an RPG. The whole right side of the aircraft was opened up and the sniper manning the right door gun had his leg blown off. The aircraft was able to make it out of the battle area to the port area where they made a controlled crash landing.

More info here

I have found this from an award write-up of one of the Pararescuemen on Super 68.

- Retired Air Force Master Sgt. and Pararescueman Scott Fales received U.S. Special Operations Command’s highest honor when he was awarded the 2012 Bull Simons Award in Tampa, Fla., May 23. This lifetime achievement award, named for Army Col. Arthur “Bull” Simons, honors the spirit, values, and skills of the unconventional warrior.

- In August of 1993 Fales was assigned to Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. On the fateful day of Oct. 3, he led the search and rescue of “Super 61” a Black Hawk helicopter shot down by a rocket propelled grenade. Fales and fellow PJ, Tech. Sgt. Timothy Wilkinson, who would earn the Air Force Cross for actions at Mogadishu, were flying in “Super 68” toward the crash site.

- Some things that strike me about his actions on the third and fourth of October, them going into the fray the way they did, going down the ropes, firefight ensuing, the helicopter they are fast roping from gets hit by an RPG while they are on the ropes and all hell is breaking loose,” Rodriguez said. “After he gets wounded, he continues to care for the wounded and returned deadly accurate fire, and at one point, finally has to give himself an IV to keep from going into shock. Just amazing.”

- For his actions that day Fales received the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. Lessons he learned that day would provide the foundation for future combat search and rescue (CSAR) training to both active duty SOF and the Joint Service Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Agency.

This is MSG Fales w/ Super 68 in the Mog.

1993%20Somalia%20Me%20in%20front%20of%20Super%2068%20CSAR%20Bird%20Web.jpg

From another website

"Super 68 was hit in the rotor blades by an RPG."

So there were four aircraft downed that day? Or are Super 62 and Super 68 being confused? The damage sounds similar.

Gino,

You are the Gothic Serpent expert. I do know that the museum consulted with 160th members on the helo. I will ask and see if they have any other information on the history of Super 68 and get back with you. Regardless, I am really pleased she has a new home. I think the lack of artwork is meant to reflect her last operational configuration as are the weapons. I do agree it would look cool though.

Ray

Do you guys know which "Super" 91-26360 was? I just looked up the registration here and it says it was written off, but as you can see in this picture, it wasn't. Was it actually shot down, or just damaged?

Aaron

ps. I was told the call-sign/artwork was "Thrasher" if that helps.

Edited by strikeeagle801

From what I have found out, it was not part of the raid on 3 Oct 93 and did not have a "Super" number. It was in Somalia at the time though. This is what I have from a crew chief who was there.

Other OPGS aircraft that did not take part in the raid. I am sure I am going to leave a couple out. These were from my platoon. Some were the MH-60A others were MH-60L. Most were DAPS.

85-24395 The Predator, The 1st ever DAP

83-23908 Heavy Metal (did not deploy to Somalia)

83-23887 Heavy Metal, We had to give ACFT 908 to our sister unit. I took the engine cowlings off of 908 and put them on 887.

83-23839 Iron Maiden

84-24000 The Liberator

84-24010 Bounty Hunter

83-23853 Bat Copter - Batman logo on engine cowlings

89-26184 Flatliner - the 1st L model DAP

91-26360 Thrasher

91-26276 Dirty Deeds

Check here for all the "Super" numbered aircraft.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thank's for the info Gino. The 160th guys that I talked to said that it was there and damaged, and that record shows it as being writen off (obviously that was not the case). Could it have been damaged during training leading up to the event? Not trying to contradict you at all, just trying to find out more info about it. One of 'life's little mysteries' kind of things.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

No offense taken at all Aaron. It easily could have been damaged before or after the 3 OCT mission. It was there, I just can't find anything else out about it. The details on most of the aircraft are cloudy at best. I have had new info come up from time to time that changed what I thought I knew. This may be another one of those times. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Edited by HeavyArty

Amazing news and Ray if I may ask for us that don't have the possibility to visit the museum, could you set the pics somewhere to be seen/downloaded for reference? Thanks

Mario,

It will take me a while to get them all uploaded, but, yes, I can post what i have.

Ray

The downing of Super 62 was not depicted in the movie Black Hawk Down. It was the insert bird for Sergeant First Class Randy Shughart and Master Sergeant Gary Gordon. Shortly after inserting them, Super 62 was struck in the fuselage by an RPG. The whole right side of the aircraft was opened up and the sniper manning the right door gun had his leg blown off. The aircraft was able to make it out of the battle area to the port area where they made a controlled crash.

Gino,

I think Super 62 was named "Black Widow." There was a site that had pics of it after the mission, and it showed the cowling art and RPG hit. One of those things that came after the first WW Night Stalkers sheet, but will be fixed for the second. I can send you the pics and maybe the site if I can dig it up. But I agree with everyone else you are the GOTHIC SERPENT lore master.

I agree, the should have put the cowling art back on 68 for it's final display, it is iconic.

BTW, Gino, do you have anything on "Texas Express?" It was mentioned in someone's book, not BHD, and it would be nice to get a serial or clear pics of it...

mason

Edited by doupnik

Gino,

I think Super 62 was named "Black Widow." There was a site that had pics of it after the mission, and it showed the cowling art and RPG hit. One of those things that came after the first WW Night Stalkers sheet, but will be fixed for the second. I can send you the pics and maybe the site if I can dig it up. But I agree with everyone else you are the GOTHIC SERPENT lore master.

I agree, the should have put the cowling art back on 68 for it's final display, it is iconic.

BTW, Gino, do you have anything on "Texas Express?" It was mentioned in someone's book, not BHD, and it would be nice to get a serial or clear pics of it...

mason

As Mason mentioned "Black Widow" will be on the new sheet which is rapidly coming together thanks to Mason.

"Texas Express" (Super 67, I think) is mention in the book "Battle of Mogadishu". We have tentative artwork for it. It is based off of a recollection of a Ranger. We are going to include it on Part 2 with the impreviso that it is based off of the recollection and no photos have surfaced yet. We want to include the Super aircraft from the raid to 'complete' the operation.

I don't want to steal the thread but there looks to be 20-21 aircraft from OPGS to today.

Floyd

Yup, I forgot to update the post on Super 62 that I took that blurb from. I also have the pics after it was hit.

Great news on the second sheet. It looks like we have most of the aircraft accounted for. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Good news on Super 67 too, unfortunately, I don't have anything on it. Do you have the tail ## for it so I can update my files as well?

A little more info on Super 68 from an article about moving it to the Aviation Museum:

“Super 68 sustained significant damage in Mogadishu from small arms fire and a hit from a rocket propelled grenade, but with a limited maintenance crew, they got it back into the battle and continued to fight.”

Apparently it was repaired and flew back into the battle.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...