1/48 Eduard MiG-21 BIS Hungarian AF Aggressor

Thanks phantom and rm20886.

Managed to get some more work done. The oxygen tanks have been added to the main gear bays and I've drilled out the forward airbrake areas. The kit comes with airbrakes modelled in the closed position and to model tem open they have to be drilled out and airbrake interior sections added. It wasn't normal practice for Hungarian MiG-21s to park with airbrakes open but I've seen a couple of images where this is the case. Anyways, I want to model them open for a little added interest.

It's interesting for me that the aircraft I'm building - 1874 - actually visited the UK in 2003 to attend the RAF Fairford airshow. It was in full brown and green camoflage then rather than the brown and green with white areas that I'll be applying but still added interest.

I've done some work on the exhaust area and cockpit areas too. I'll post pics of that soon.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

Hi,

Beautiful work, Ian.

Wasn't it in 1993 that this aircraft visited the Air Tattoo?

I remember watching the "Sky Hussars" team back then. I really enjoyed watching the three camouflaged Migs chasing the yellow one around the sky, all of them in afterburner.

I thought: "This is really cool and we'll see it a lot more in the next couple of years".

It was the last time I saw them.

I also find it hard to believe it's more than 20 years ago now.

Cheers, Stefan.

interesting build though I'd hardly call this MiG an aggressor just for participating in some DACT exercise... by this defintion almost any fighter can be called aggressor, even our PC-9Ms.

But it did receive a special paint scheme to take part in the exercises and I think that's as sufficient justification as some other builds are using. If it's not good enough justification, I'm sure the boss will let me know!

interesting build though I'd hardly call this MiG an aggressor just for participating in some DACT exercise... by this defintion almost any fighter can be called aggressor, even our PC-9Ms.

But it still makes it an Aggressor and yes those PC-9Ms would be unique yet acceptable. As long as they played the role of Bad Guys it's all good in my books!!

Hey Magyar MiGs rule !!!!! :woot.gif:

May not have been born there but it is all cool!

Ian

Looking really good. You are inspiring me to build a MiG or three. Would you recommend this kit for the MiG 21, or do have another favourite? I don't really care which version of Fishbed I build, so any kit would do.

I echo the sentiments that this certainly qualifies for the GB. The one that I and some others are building is done up in a Soviet-style scheme, but the CF-5 never filled a formal aggressor role in Canadian service, not like the dedicated aggressor squadrons in other Air Forces.

ALF

Hi,

Ian,

You inspired me to look up my old pictures...I'm glad that I took the plunge and started going to the UK in early 1990's...I wish I'd had todays equipment back then.

Here's a scan of a shot of the Skyhussars team at Fairford. I believe this is the sunday evening and they have put the tanks back on to fly home. The shots of the flying display show them without droptanks.

Yours is the camouflaged one next to the yellow one.

12019694185_48c0e30e32_z.jpg

Skyhussars by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

ALF

Any one of the Eduard Mig-21's is easily the best one in 1/48 scale.

Cheers, Stefan.

Ian

Looking really good. You are inspiring me to build a MiG or three. Would you recommend this kit for the MiG 21, or do have another favourite? I don't really care which version of Fishbed I build, so any kit would do.

I echo the sentiments that this certainly qualifies for the GB. The one that I and some others are building is done up in a Soviet-style scheme, but the CF-5 never filled a formal aggressor role in Canadian service, not like the dedicated aggressor squadrons in other Air Forces.

ALF

Thanks Alf. I haven't built an Eduard kit before so didn't know what to expect having got this one and the MiG 29 UB for Christmas. But I have to say, it's a great kit. It goes together as well as a Hasegawa kit and has some good PE as part of the standard offering. Some of the panel lines and rivet holes needed to be redone but nothing significant. I did have a look at the review done by Gary Wickham here...

Scalespot - look under "on the bench" for the MiG-21 Bunny Fighter

....and he clearly believes it's a good kit to. On what I know so far - other than preferring to work with light grey plastic - I do recommend it.

Cheers

Ian

You inspired me to look up my old pictures...

12019694185_48c0e30e32_z.jpg

Skyhussars by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Thanks for looking up the photos, Stefan. I've never seen a MiG-21 fly and have only seen the one on display at Duxford at 1:1 scale. Great aircraft though. You have some good photos on your Flickr page - I particularly like the Saudi Typhoons and Tornados and anything F-4 is nice to see and the German colour schemes are good to look at. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

Hi,

You're welcome, Ian. I'm glad you like them.

I added a few more to Flickr. I wouldn't want to overload this thread with them. There is a very unsharp one in there of 1874 taking off. Very unsharp, but you can easily count 8 shockdiamonds in the afterburner plume.

It's been years since I've seen a Mig-21 fly too. Something I seem to remember is that they move fast at all times, not only is the landing speed rather high, they also taxi very fast.

A friend of mine went to Zagreb last summer and saw the Croats in action. Very cool, with wild camo schemes. At least different from all the grey things we have now.

Cheers, Stefan.