How do you fund your hobby?

So I have been thinking about this for a while, and how many hobbies that I am very interested in are quite expensive.

I do build model aircraft, but I have never been able to build one with great quality because the tools needed for the job are expensive and sometimes I feel terrible paying 10 dollars for a 00 paintbrush. I am also interested in model train railroads and cringe at the 600 price tag on an Aethern H0 Big Boy loco, and I quite enjoy model car collectibles, but puke at Exotos Prices.

So how do you start on a hobby that is expensive? We all have expenses, and I've seen people begin threads with a model and around 300 dollars work of aftermarket or even more. How do you do it? I am not married, but have a swmbo who is okay with my aircraft building hobby and tries to encourage me, but I often think ''gee, i would have to save 3 months to buy this and that together'' Is this all about saving?

How do you select and plan when you are looking into making a big investment in your hobby?

Well, I started by building my modeling skills. The early 1970s, I built simple models without any detailing. My tools were simple. I used fingernail cutters to cut parts off sprues. Emory boards and nail buffers for sanding and filing. Sandpaper from the neighborhood auto body repair shop. For filler, the guys at the auto body shop refused to give me any (they had huge tubs and this young kid could get high from the fumes. So, I glued flash from the sprues into gaps.

Tube glue was it. Paint was hard to come by. I recall painting an Airfix Catalina with white shoe polish.

Of course, when I started taking this modeling seriously (meaning I planned to keep the model instead of blowing it up with firecrackers), the craftsmen around me talked a LOT about the importance of quality tools. Xacto knife, Testors body putty, Testors liquid glue, and Pactra Paints started to make their way to my 'work box.' After learning to use them, I bought another kit, more paints, better brushes. Happy at the improvement, I kept repeating until I had the tools I needed and can spend my money simply on kits and the odd paint.

OK, now as an adult. I only buy kits on sale whether by huge discount, estate sale, or eBay bids. If something is ridiculously under-priced, I will buy it and sit on it as trade fodder. When I want a new kit, this trade fodder is offered first. I also have a fairly large stash of older kits I will sell or trade to fund a new kit as the price of one new one is equivalent to more than three of the old ones if of the same subject.

When it comes to tools, I save money each month to then buy it. I had to do this for the lathe, vertical mill, dry transfer system, laser printer, vinyl cutter, and so on.

Regards,

I build model aircraft and military vehicles. I also like to go hunting with a .22 rifle. I fund these pricey hobbys by being lucky enough to paint models for a living.

I always wanted to build models professionally but had no idea of how to do anything about it until oneday my best mate called me and said " ive just spoken to a bloke who builds models for museums and stuff and hes looking for some help". He gave me his number and the next day i met him and picked up my first job.

for me it was like building my dream track bicycle. i got the frameset for a a steal and then bought components with every paycheck i could until i had everything i needed to build it up. it didnt take very long as i was motivated. i got back into the this hobby about 4 years ago and it was the same process; finding good deals, and slowly adding to my tool and paint collection, as well as adding to my stash. there are literally dozens of kits i would love to buy right now but cant afford to spend money on this hobby right now. you have to prioritize and just start collecting slowly but surely and before you now it you'll be one of those guys with 300$ worth of aftermarket. dont let it overwhelm you. its just a hobby after all.

Ive given up some horribly expensive hobbies to focus on model aircraft building. I only buy 1 to 2 kits a year and use Christmas and birthday money to fund those usually. As for tools I've just slowly aquired them. Ill buy a new tool or supply item when I'm ready to take my skills to the next level. This progressive approach allows me to build my skills a I build my workshop.

It's simple, I buy what I can, when I can and always stay within my means. For modeling I dont go buy all the aftermarket thats out there, I like to scratch build instead, it's more rewarding to me. I get some aftermarket, mainly for conversions instead of just getting PE seatbelts and all that crap. Keep it simple.

In 1964, I used nail files, Testor's tube glue, Barlow knife, clothespins and PLA 'Namel in the little Testors bottles.

I still use all those things. I do prefer liquid cement, and yes, I have $$$$ of stuff now, but I can still build a decent scale model with just the basic tools.

It's not what you have, just how proficient you are with it.

When I got back into the hobby in the mid 70's I didn't have a lot of extra money to spend, and would have to save for a new kit, or tools & supplies, reference books, etc. Over the next 10 to 15 years I accumulated a good set of modeling tools and reference material that I still use today. I'm better off now financially and can pretty much buy what I want, as I don't have any other interests or hobbies to fund. That said, I still have a line that I have a hard time going over. I would like to build a 1/32 Tamiya A6M or Corsair for example, but not bad enough to spend that kind of money. If I were getting in the hobby today, it would probably be much the same. Figure out what I really want or have to have, and save up for it.

BW

I use extra money from work, after Kids, food, bills etc...and savings, I use a little fund I have set aside for my hobbies. Which include RC Planes and Cars, and now Scale Modeling. My fund is stretched to its limits and at this point my hobbies probably could receive government assistance. :rofl:

Edited by Junkyard

I use my wife's money.....

I'm trying to marry into money, but having lousey luck at it. Until then i just budget for it from my pay. I have no other vices/hobbies/wife/kids/mortgage so other than living expenses which are low and tools for work affording the hobby is fairly painless.

Don

I work. :P

Seriously though, I just make sure my expenses are covered, and then the remaining money can go to any of my three major hobbies, modelling, music and books. Once, at the most twice a year I'll go for a bigger purchase (a new synthesizer in 2013 and a pair of very good (but second-hand) speakers; next year will probably be another synth as the Big Buy, and *maybe* a new turntable... but I still need to really convince myself that that's necessary. Nothing wrong with the one I have now!). Most usually, though, whatever's left after expenses are covered and a bit set aside for incidentals, goes either to buying modelling stuff (kits, tools, paints, reference stuff, etc) or records. Very seldom do I buy both kits and vinyl in the same month... though I usually do get a book every month (but I buy almost exclusively second-hand books so that's not usually a big expense!). This year the amount that I can spend on modelling or records will probably shrink a bit as I'm seriously considering opening a TFSA.

I started with the basics when I was a young lad. Time marches on and you add more to the tool kit. You get smarter, work hard, save hard an earn more money at a better job to enjoy the things you want.

Right now I want a boat for duck hunting, a hunting dog and 100 acres to build a cabin on. This ain't gonna happen in a year or even 5. But if I want it bad enough I'll find a way to make it happen for myself.

Plastic modeling is a really cheap hobby, all things considered. The cost to entry is extremely low. You can build models OOB to a high standard with minimal investiture. Model kits are cheap. Your tools will last practically forever. On a per-model basis, your consumables such as paints, masking tape, glue, etc are extremely cheap.

Just like any other hobby, you can spend a ton on it. You can have a room in your house devoted to building models. You can order store display racks full of paints if you wish. You can buy all the fancy shiny modeling tools you want and start an airbrush collection. You can order crate loads of the latest plastic models every week if you really want to.

I buy models fairly rarely and you never need more than one at a time (I have about 50 though, most of them quite rare and/or OOP). You can also buy cheaper ones that aren't the latest, on sale, and/or snagged on eBay. I use brushes and spray cans for my painting needs. Also, I frequently use a close match for a color if I don't have the exact one. A lot of my tools are multi-purpose and I use them for more than just modeling. I have also bought a lot of supplies at hardware stores.

Its a weird hobby in that people might moan over the price of a $150 kit that takes 3-6 months to complete. But not balk at hobby paints which cost $600 per gallon or decaled paper that is $20 a pop. Its a cheap hobby as hobbies go. One season of golf for my dad far exceeds my entire life of scale model spending. When I used to mountainbike, the cost of that hobby was on par with scale modeling and I could only do it 6 months of the year. The good thing is that its a hobby which allows you to participate at any price point - $4 flea market kit or the latest 1:32 beauty... its all good.

1. I was divorced in 2007--and my ex was considerate enough to die all on her own back in 2009, so no expenses related to the hiring of lawyers or hit men.

2. I have no kids or other family to support.

3. I do not own a car or have any of the expenses associated with operating or licensing one.

4. I rent my house, and the rent is pretty reasonable.

5. I don't drink . . . much.

Need I say more?

:cheers:/>/>

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

Well I'd be lying if I didn't say she spent my money on clothes. Truth be told We are traditionalists when it comes to the finances and it all comes out of the same pot. When she needs cash she hits my wallet because I always have some. But we are also individuals as I didn't take her Surname in Marriage nor did she take mine.

BTW I don't have to sneak kits into the house...... I walk them in. She does roll her eyes and usually comment on me going to play.

:thumbsup:

Might I also suggest; Harbor Freight (files, sanding, vise), 99Cent Only (airbrush cleaner, decal & sanding water dish, paper towels), Sally Beauty Supply (sanding boards), Model Kit Swap Meets..

As for Wife or GF.. I can buy a 15 buck kit and spend a LOT of time at home building it. Way less than a dollar an hour, and I'm home with her, rather than at the bar, game, etc.. -Spending a TON more and seldom seen..

As for Wife or GF.. I can buy a 15 buck kit and spend a LOT of time at home building it. Way less than a dollar an hour, and I'm home with her, rather than at the bar, game, etc.. -Spending a TON more and seldom seen..

This.

My wife has reluctantly come to accept my modeling hobby and now considers it a bargain compared to me going out hunting!

I have a separate account where I put some money aside each month to fund the hobby. I do spend a bit more than I put in on occasion but, like everyone says, this hobby is a lot cheaper than others. The wife is not always happy to see the bill but hey, I work for a living and as long as all the obligations are met, no harm in enjoying this great hobby.

Rob