How do you fund your hobby?

I work 60 hours a week in the Middle East, don't have any debt, my company pays all my living expenses, and I receive US military retirement pay. If I'm not mistaken, half my stash was purchased from many ARC members :salute:!

V/r

Ron

Well...I work and money from it after clearing all debts as well as family household allocation, those are the extras for the hobby but the recent raised cost of living over these parts of the world isn't helping much.

Quite fortunate these days I'm sticking to model building, fishing for leisure is taking a back seat. :coolio:/>

..and always looking out for a good deal in any case. :lol:/>

I'm giving blood as we speak to fina..........oops sorry I fainted lots of nice stuff gotta selling lots of blood! I used to walk the streets at night selling my body but that didn't work out so well. Turns out there isn't a market for fat bald guys..who'd a thunk?

Seriously though I usually by kits on ARC from some wonderful people, model shows, and eBay. Wait for sales on websites, there are some great ones. As far as tools are concerned go to a beauty supply store and a hardware store, it's amazing what you can find on the cheap.

My wife and I are independently wealthy. Needless to say, I have to be careful to not overspend or go on a kit buying binge. I like to keep my money local, so I tend to buy everything from local hobby shops.

Edited by wookieefood

Hmm...I guess it would be expensive if I were to start into the hobby now...with all the paints and tools I have now...but that's not how it happens. It's progressive and an evolutionary process.

As a kid and teen, I built at home using my dad's stuff and kits at Christmas, birthdays...and dad's "stash"!

Fast forward to time in the military (ahhh a job!) and being married, I "restarted" modestly, a kit here and there and paints required for said kit.

I accumulated my first big batch of paints somewhat haphazardly...a fellow modeler in my squadron was transferring to Japan and the movers wouldn't pack up "hazardous" materials so he gave them all to me! Traveling in the military (I flew here there and everywhere as an aircrewman) we'd get per diem money, I'd usually come home with 150.00 - 200.00 bucks in my pocket for "fun money" and that's what really funded my hobby/kit stash.

Relatively speaking, building plastic models is a pretty cheap hobby as "guy" hobbies go...even in light of some of the expensive kits out there. I shoot guns for fun too and that can get super expensive...a cheap box of 20 rds .223 ammo is $10.00.

Edited by 82Whitey51

How do I fund my hobby? Pretty simple as I have a career that pays me well and we have no debt. With a few exceptions, like the last guitar I bought, I buy what I need and not what I want. We use credit cards for convenience, not credit. Pretty simple really.

Well theres work. Not wasting it in bars aby more.. drink at home alone is much cheaper lol...

On a more serous note I buy most of my kit and AM here in the traders board taking advantage of good deals.

Sometime i sell my body.. to my GF.. ie if you want that baby i need a new airbrush...just kidding that dosent work anymore though she has her baby now.. might work again in a couple of years :P

Oh i almost forgot the most important. Build SLOW.. try something new every build it makes the $$ last longer

Edited by Neo