So My Sis sends me her X Box 3 6 0

I have never been a big Gamer and we have no Kids so these consoles really never were on our radar screen.

Now the Nieces and Nephews are wanting to come by and stay without their parents and really there is not much to do in an Adult household except watch TV and surf the Internet. My models are off limits till they can prove they can do snap tite.

So my sister sends me her X Box (because they have the newer version) and all the games they have with it..... So I have all the Guitar Hero Stuff too. Now Char and I have sat down to play this game called Call of Duty 4 .....pretty cool but these controls are Wacko....

No wonder these new fandangled planes have these watchamacallits and only one crew to operate it. What ever happened to the joystick and the Fire button????

Having Fun being Frustrated!! I will never play online because I suck really bad...... my platoon probably hates me because I've shot every one of them........ and I cant get that throw back the grenade button in time. I always get myself with the Flashbangs and I cant get myself to look in the direction that I need to to take out the enemy. I have run out of AMMO more times than I like...

I do have to do laundry..... and maybe crack open the box on my Good guys gone bad GB

:bandhead2:

I guess a good golf game and football would be cool??? :rolleyes:

This by all means isn't a rant.... but maybe a little respect for them young ones who are total introverts and have acquired a skill I guess. Maybe there should be a Game on Loading Airplanes so when they do come out into the real world they can use that skill to pack 'em tight. OH wait can't do that sitting down on a couch with a Controller.

:cheers:

Emil

For call of duty, you can go into the pause menu and configure your controller more to your liking, it really helps. It's not so bad, stick with it and it'll be fun. Plus there are difficulty levels from easy to get hit once and die.

And by the way, if you think call of duty is hard, stay away from football games for xbox, even I gave up on those after super tecmo bowl on the super nintendo.

And by the way, if you think call of duty is hard, stay away from football games for xbox, even I gave up on those after super tecmo bowl on the super nintendo.

Sports video games, at least the real world simulation type games, are not only the most difficult video game of any genre to develop, they're also usually the most difficult to play too. They're designed to cater to the hard core first and foremost. I once sat in a design meeting with 20 guys from the EA NHL dev team and they spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to added more checking options to the controls. When I suggested that the controls were already too complicated for most people, they looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears. They just couldn't understand that someone might want a simple control system.

If you think its bad now, try getting on a headset with them. I have to play on PC where I can control my personal listening and server environment . I stay on my kids to about acting like they should even when every little troll in the world is baiting them on XBOX LIVE.

JYD

Sports video games, at least the real world simulation type games, are not only the most difficult video game of any genre to develop, they're also usually the most difficult to play too. They're designed to cater to the hard core first and foremost. I once sat in a design meeting with 20 guys from the EA NHL dev team and they spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to added more checking options to the controls. When I suggested that the controls were already too complicated for most people, they looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears. They just couldn't understand that someone might want a simple control system.

I'm curious when your meeting was. I think that attitude has shifted massively in the past seven years, in part due to the Iphone and the Wii. Both devices opened up a huge market for "simpler games," which is the fastest growing market segment (think Angry Birds).

I'm curious when your meeting was. I think that attitude has shifted massively in the past seven years, in part due to the Iphone and the Wii. Both devices opened up a huge market for "simpler games," which is the fastest growing market segment (think Angry Birds).

That would have been 2009. The iPhone and Wii products are not made in the same location as the console products. Completely different groups. Completely different mindsets.

That same group did produce NHL Arcade (the bobble head hockey game) that was massively fun, but it was a 1-off product that was, literally, made as a side project.

Edited by RiderFan

I echo what Rider Fan says. I don't have the Development Team experience he has, but I have sat and tried various consoles with my kids (now into their early 20s). More than once I ranted to them about how the controls were too complex, not standard from game to game, and hard to control sometimes. Some console games ported to PC have differing interfaces and default hot keys (Halo 1 & 2, for example).

My son is taking computer science in University, and has finished some game design courses. We've debated this at length. Most big-budget game designers do in fact cater to the demographic of younger folks who have all the time in the world to learn and practise an interface. They don't care about guys like me and Emvar, who want something simple that doesn't require intense study to get into. With real life responsibilities and time constraints, older gamers just can't afford to invest time into a complex interface.

I never play air combat games either. First problem was when I was actively flying; the last thing I wanted to do was learn different habit patterns for a game compared to the real aircraft. I found the interface in the game was actually harder to learn in some ways than a real CF-18. Why? because you couldn't just look or feel for the switch; you had to know the hotkey to call up the panel on screen, or which of the keyboard shortcuts would activate it. "B" for brakes or burners? "H" for hook? In a real fighter, I had to sit in a full-mission simulator cockpit with a helmet bag on my head, and touch the controls that the instructor named, strictly by feel, to be able to do so without looking inside during air combat.

After I retired from flying fighters, I tried playing some games, but quickly grew frustrated by the complex user interfaces.

Maybe now, with more and more free to play games and similar developments, development teams will be forced to appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers?

I know that part of my job at CAE (testing military flight simulators) was pushing the engineers to make the instructor console intuitive, to reduce the number of sub/sub/sub/sub menus, to allow an instructor to customise and automate functions, and to ensure that the learning curve was not too steep for instructors. A flight simulator is a tool to teach mission and flying skills; it should not require an instructor to know how to operate a complex user interface in addition to being an expert in tactics and aircraft operation. Games should be similar, but they are not.

Glad to see that Elmo and SWMBO are taking the time to explore the wonders of consoles! Not so old - yet... :woot.gif:

ALF

That would have been 2009. The iPhone and Wii products are not made in the same location as the console products. Completely different groups. Completely different mindsets.

That same group did produce NHL Arcade (the bobble head hockey game) that was massively fun, but it was a 1-off product that was, literally, made as a side project.

Oh for sure, I probably know some of those guys in that meeting. I think however a lot of them also understand that there is a market for games that are simpler and more gameplay focused. However that's not what EA's mainline products (FIFA, NBA, Madden and NHL) are intended to be... there is an expectation that the game be more advanced... that's perceived to be its niche.

For me, consoles are fine for casual games and racing simulators, but I really can't play anything that involves aiming and shooting on a console. I simply cannot stand using a controller for that. Even with the help aiming the console version of the game gives you, it still feels really slow and imprecise.

I don't doubt this for one minute!! I love baseball games and I am amazed at the graphics (man, do I sound out of the 80s) but they are overly complicated for a game of baseball, especially 1 on 1. Generally speaking, the guy who knows all the controls (and there are 100s of them) will outperform the guy who just wants to pitch and hit. So while I tend to play my MLB stuff on 'beginner', I long for the RBI Baseball II and III days where you could play a 'quick' game in 12 minutes.

You guys need to check out the controls for fighting games ... The move lists, combos, the hit boxes, frame data, etc... There is allot to learn in a goodgood, deep fighting game such as Super Street Fighter IV or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ...

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

You guys need to check out the controls for fighting games ... The move lists, combos, the hit boxes, frame data, etc... There is allot to learn in a goodgood, deep fighting game such as Super Street Fighter IV or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ...

-Gregg

That's what button mashing was created for lol.