AFV Club F-5E "Nellis Gomer"

Oh yes...there is progress, but slow, dear Sernak! Just call me crazy, but in the second line I started F-5E no. 2 on the workbench because I decided to give that actual Tiger the open gun bay but I already had closed the gun bay on that fuselage kit part. Sooo, I took a F-5E/N "Sundowners" and "borrowed" the nose section. From another kit (F-5F) I took the nose and the LEX - to give the F-5F the parts from the sundowners kit - want to build a swiss F-5F one day...

So there are two rear fuselages now on the bench: one that I showed already and another now having the RR FOD's ...ofc I drilled out again most of the lights to replace that with clear sprue, not a big deal anymore!

Maybe you would ask what will happen to the cockpit? Aires again? Eduard stuff? Or the gorgeous Resin pit from Kasl hobby? (I could get it in germany - but double the price of the Aires pit :jaw-dropping: )

Nope - I go with the kit cockpit and a quickboost bang seat! Again kudos to the AFV club guys - the molding of the IPs are so clear and sharp that it is really good to brush paint it by hand (and the result is quite same to a painted Resin IP!). Even some details are more accurate from AFV than from Aires!! If you want to have it perfect, butcher an Eduard PE set and combine it with Aires (not an cheap solution btw.!). First I wanted to close the canopy ... but as I like the plumbering and I got some fresh delivery with lead wire (0,2 mm - 0,4 mm) I scratch build the wiring behind the seat. Also the QB seat got his Oxygen hose now (made of fine copper wire - cable strands) and aluminum foil. But now the challenge got me: the pit will be opened and want to add some more self made details to catch up more or less with the Aires pit! Let's try...

Should I open another thread in the BB-GB for that Tiger?? ...let me know...

It will be also an USAF Aggressor in the "old blue" colors (FS 35190, FS 35414, FS 35164). OK, guys....I m sorry for words only, pictures will follow soon! Stay tuned! :woot.gif:

Just out of curiosity, I searched for the brand you're mentioning, "Kasl hobby", and even though the F-5E cockpit does look superb, the price is wayyyy too high!!!! I mean, come on now, 221 Hong Kong Dollars for a resin set!!! (Not, to mention the 300 Hobby Easy is asking for the F-5F!).

But, I guess, since I have a "soft spot" for the Tiger (single and double-seat), I'm gonna have to cancel that Kinetic A-6 kit I was planning to buy and go for the Kasl hobby cockpit set for the F-5. Let's hope though that it does fit into the Monogram kit because I don't have the AFV one!!!!

By the way, people from Kasl hobby, if you're listening PLEASEEEEE produce cockpits for the F-5A/B and T-38A!!!!!! PLEASEEEE HURRRYY!!!

Oh yeah, that stuff is hot from Kasl!! But even here, a resin pit is more expensive than the kit! Oh hey, sernak, you don't have a F-5F from AFV Club? The F-5F is a bargain at Luckymodel right now for 24 USD! PLEASE do not waist the Kasl jewel in the Monogram kit...better wait to catch an AFV one! Have you build already one? YOu should do!!

BTW. IMHO the Hobby Boss A-6 get better criterias than the Kinetic one...price is more or less the same. My recommendation: go for the HB A-6 (like I did and ordered an A-6A - I like high vis!).

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: I have 3 Monogram F-5Fs!!! One build as the NFWS #50, with the green/grey splinter scheme, one from Revell - which I haven't thought yet how I'm going to finish it (WHEN I decide to start it), and a "wreckage" F-5F. Yes, a "wreckage"!!!

About 20 years ago, I had decided to start building every adversary aircraft I could, using only the things that were then available - a few books, personal photos, a few decal sheets from Microscale/Supercsale (not all of them because even then it was hard to find them) and of course no aftermarket detail sets!!!

So, I had removed from this F-5F, the cockpit and side walls, landing gear and airbrakes wells, and used the airframe, well, mainly for checking my airbrush/air compressor quality.

Now, a few months ago, I've decided to "resurrect" this model by trying to build a new cockpit from scratch (I have used the original one in a T-38 from Academy), new side walls and of course the remaining missing parts. Yet, because I don't have anymore the patience to scratch-build all these details, I've decided to at least buy a decent resin cockpit for it. I was planning to buy the Aires one but, after seeing the cockpit from Kasl Hobby, I've changed my mind!!!!!

The Monogram kit is a decent kit, even if it has raised details. I don't know how accurate it might be for its scale but, you might be surprised!!!

For example, this is what I thought when I saw a few years ago Hasegawa's new A-4 Skyhawk BUT, when I compared the kit with the Monogram's, the second one was/is more accurate in dimensions!!!

Now, I know that $24 for an F-5F is a true bargain but, a few days ago, I had to decide which kit I was going to buy. The Academy F-5E or, the F-5F. The F-5E has won this "battle"!

So, no money, no A-6 for me!!! At least, for now!

Keep up the good work Tobi!!!

Hmm, I understand...what about this? Take the (bargain) F-5F and put the AFV Club pit into the inside already empty Monogram F-5F? Just add resin seats and some wires!?

Oh no doubt! The Mono F-5 is accurate...especially when rescribe it and add decent riveting and some nice scratch details it will be a nice model! Maybe the RR FODs fit in the Mono kit too?

happy modelling! YES..KASL hello??? Do you hear me too?

Hmm, I understand...what about this? Take the (bargain) F-5F and put the AFV Club pit into the inside already empty Monogram F-5F? Just add resin seats and some wires!?

You're absolutely right!!!

Though, there's one problem... I have spent all my money paying bills and buying the Academy F-5E. So, no more money for scale modelling, at least for this month :crying2: .

If I'm lucky enough and they still have this bargain price next month then, I will definitely buy an F-5F!!! (or, two)

That is some very awesome work on the office, do ya mind if I pattern mine after yours :D . I'll be following this build closely, as I have one to do for the "Badboys GB". I'll be doing the early 64th Nellis Aggressor "Old Blue" scheme. Please pass along any info on pitfalls or OH OH's you may run into.

Thanks for your comment, Greywolf. Yeah, the "office" is like an own model in the model and it is a quick action. I allowed me several evenings until I could close the front fuselage.

Hmm...any hints? Depends on what you want, but I recommend the Aires pit, the fit is really good! Even not totally accurate in the last detail (perhaps the resin pit from Kasl hobby might be better? The price is shocking me a bit, but ..hmm...one should give it a try to know more!) and some small details are still missing but Aires "prepared" the point where you can continue by yourself in scratch (e.g. O2 and com. leads on the bang seat, Seat seperator strap, canopy breaker (- i have not added that part, probably will follow later), seat safety pin, electric wire to the utility light on the right side, a yellow handle on the left side, some details on the canopy hinge mechanism).

But when you want to add the open gun bay: be careful! Lot of grinding and sanding and dry fitting needed! Just takes time and your patience, otherwise not a big deal.

The "wedding" of the front section and the rear fuselage will need attention to avoid a "step" especially on the bottom. My advice: make the nose section first and then buidl the rear part so you can adapt the height of it. Between the air intakes it s easy to hide a gap.

If needed...

The pimped box office parts were washed with black oil yday. Now the cockpit floor has to be given a used look and then flat varnish will follow. When I have this I will post the next pics!

Meanwhile I visit a fellow modeller and he got the F-5 pilot from Kasl hobby now - that looks really good! Even the back side of the bang seat is detailed! Crazy, huh? Here, the price is still affordable (about 5-6 Euro), and he is sitting in a detailed seat already.

A very good option for someone who wants to build a "in-flight" Tiger or - when the open enginge vent parts are glued in - add the driver! Hmm...I think I have to make a third F-5E, with driver (That time it ll be Navy time! Could be a sundowner bird!?)

OK, let me get some sleep, and finish the 2 Tigers first! :rolleyes:

Now it' s in! The noses are complete from both Tigers.

Now working on the preparation to "marriage"...The joining of the front and rear part needs attention and careful dryfitting. Otherwise you ll have a gap or step on the bottom. But it looks like I will avoid it and I get a smooth connection.

The RR FODs are a bit smaller (I guess due to resin casting shrinkage!?) and I have to add superglue before sanding. Don't be shocked: the black paint is to control the sanding / fit of the parts. Also to avoid a gap between the FODs and the front fuselage I glued on a thin sheet styrene - you can see on the pic. Not a big deal...

10256577_565705166878613_6959772042680209329_n.jpg

1800432_565705130211950_6740722251652266397_n.jpg

Edited by tobiK
  • 4 weeks later...

Up to now some - slow? - progress. Scott Wilson convinced me to take the big gas bag, so I build that now in adition to the smaller one.

Some careful sanding and rescribing panellines and rivets was done on one airframe and finally glued the front to the rear part.

The nose section is a bit fiddly because there are many rivets and lines where the two halves have to be glued.

Upper part of the IP with the HUD is in too. But the kit part is VERY thick so I replaced that part with a self cut piece of the clear box of the Aires cockpit.

After I screwed up the first windscreen by thinning it (it got some smal cracks in the end) I prepared a hold out of wood, hot glue and plastic foil.

Now I got a much thinner windscreen without cracks! Next step will be to scratch the instrument on the right side of the windshield frame.

Tomorrow I will show you a pic of the holding tool.

10368227_580148282100968_5315590203546648165_n.jpg

Edited by tobiK

10304974_580148325434297_2403270570954983690_n.jpg

Helpful tool for installing the gauge and the wire (lead wire 0,2 mm), must be a compass. Build scratch using evergreen sheet and profile.

72145_580148412100955_7359682609756831204_n.jpg

Here the gas bags, boarding ladder (this time in black, I took Tamiya NATO black this time),inert AIM-9P with yellow cap, ACMI pod (without decals yet) and ofc the fuselage!

Edited by tobiK

The sand color is on now and dry. Just preparing for the brown color. First I wanted to use the blue tack method but it is not so easy to bend the "sausage" to the curves I want to have and I also don't like the oily residue. So I will try my first freehand airbrush camo!

So I brush painted the outlines of the brown areas that I will follow with my airbrush later. I take Gunze aqeous no. 37 wood brown mixed with a bit no.1 white, Mr.Color levelling thinner and a drop of Mr.retarder mild. On the sand painted areas the black preshading is not there anymore or only VERY subtle and so I will spray the lines again with pure tan.

Edited by tobiK

10349204_587648168017646_6279669897852920596_n.jpg

Yoo, the brown is on! Making brsuh painted fine lines first and then follow with airgun worked pretty good! So you have enough time to study ref. pics and the instructions and then you can spray on in one move!

The Gunze color was really good to handle. For a long time I diluted them with Tamiya X-20A, but now I have the Mr. Levelling thinner and THAT is again an improvement! With some drops of Mr. retarder mild I had no glogged needle too.

Now I let it dry and then the green color will be next (Gunze aqeous no. 309). After that some spot repairs will have to be done with sand (and maybe brown too).

There#s no way to copy the correct camo pattern on the model! Even I may say i have references and instructions from the decal sheets, it is a PITA. At least I have a pic of the blue "72" (on the ground, right side) it is different to the official pattern shown on the next side in the book (page 24 and 25, Colors and markins of USAF Aggr. Sqns), in addition I have the instructions from twobobs and afterburner, it is often similar but seldom the same! Looking at the 4 side view, for example the top view does not match to the side views and so on...so in the end the camo will be just close. Sometimes it is better NOT to have so much refs....makes modelling life easier! ;-)

Now the second run making the freehand camo. It will be a compromise between the "special" pattern for the blue "72" and the official pattern. I follow the drawing in the book "USAF Aggr. sqns" page 25 and the twobobs instructions - twobobs is more or less the same, but they forgot the green blotch on the underside behind the main wheel wells. The green was good to spray, now removing some spray overs, correcting wrong made camo borders and finish the green. On the first run the green was sprayed on but was still not opaque. During all that work now I wear surgigal cloves NOT to leave my fingerprints on the paint.

Edited by tobiK