Tamiya 1/48 Fw 190 D9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Junkie,

Nice job. Sometimes I really don't get many comments either, but then again, my work isn't as good as yours!

I like the silver flaking on the cowl. I was wondering how you did the weathering on the port main LG cover: I detect some rubbing or light sanding?

Hi,

Not seen this before, and have to say I do like it - nice and dirty, but not overweathered imo.

As the man said, sometimes zero comments is par for the course, hang in there.

Your anger/frustration at the lack of comments leads me to think that perhaps you would have been better to have posted in Display case rather than Critique Corner. While I personally like what you have done, I don't feel up to 'critiquing it' and hence wouldn't post, as I am not that expert at these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Jugjunkie, a really nice build. Your painting and weathering are spot on. One thing I learned a long time ago on several modeling forums, is that few people post, but do look. If you're concerned if people are actually looking at your work, then just check the views. That's just the way it is. I've had builds with over 8,000 views and less then 140 posts, of which more then half were mine.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did some quick stats. The average view to response rate is 100 : 1.4, i.e for each 100 views, you'll get 1.4 responses

Sounds about right, and that includes Aeroscale, which is the other modeling forum I belong to. These days it's the view count that really tells you if there is a lot of interest in your build blog or finished model.

Joel

• 3 months later...
I just did some quick stats. The average view to response rate is 100 : 1.4, i.e for each 100 views, you'll get 1.4 responses

My DC-2 build has over 800 views, but only 9 replies, 5 of which are mine. :rolleyes:

Depends I suppose why you post. Do you post, just to show, to get well done responses or constructive critism. Posting in the Critique corner suggests the third option. This is one of the reasons why I sometimes post builds. But I sometimes get the impression that people are "afraid" to post construstive critism as it might be taken the wrong way, or simply dont know much about a certain subject to give an apropiate response.

David.

PS: Great looking 190 :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents, firstly my apologies to the guys who asked questions and have received no replies. The reason is after my last post I simply did not bother coming back to the thread as I felt it was a waste of time. I would like to clear up my reason for the last post, rant, B itch, call it what you like. I posted it here in the "critique"thread not because I wanted folks to see it and "OOO" and "AHHH"but for genuine critism. If I merely wanted to show it, I would have posted it in the relevant thread, as I have done many times before. With this one I really wanted some good critique because even though I was reasonably happy with the result, I hoped guys would point out things that were good and bad from a weathering viewpoint because I know there are class acts on here that have really nailed the weathering thing and I was hoping these guys would share some stuff.

Anyway all good and I thank everybody who took the time to look and comment, now to the questions:

EXHAUSTED - The wear on the cowling is done using the old hairspray system. All my aircraft start off with an Alclad Polished Aluminium base, regardless of the final scheme. I then spray hairspray on all edges, leading edges and raised bits prior to doing the final colour scheme. It is a case of then selecting areas of probable wear and rub them lightly with an abrasive stick and chip away delicately with a scalpel.

CRAZY-SNAP-CAPTAIN - The antenna wire is Invisible mending thread which is ultra thin but very strong and the insulators are white glue painted white.

Thanks again guys

Geoff