Well since I couldn't finish or start for that matter the Grumman Iron Works GB I figured I would give this one a shot since I am a little more settled into my new house. VMFT-401 25th Anniversary F-5F have loved the look of this aircraft since I first laid eyes on it. So that being said here is what I am starting with.

20140107_1354491_zps12885bdc.jpg

48-239f_zps1fe2958d.jpg

Wish me luck people I build slow and dont have much time to model but I am going to put my foot down on this one and at least complete this build for this GB. Thanks for watching be back soon.

Well heres a small update. This thing goes together quite well. Not much of a hassle at all except a coupe of seams that will need to be filled more likely due to my error than the kits. But here is the pit almost done. A few more parts a wash then off to the rest of the plane wich will be almost flawless in regards to fitment. This really is a lovely kit. I will have to start looking at AFV for more variety of kits from now on.

20140115_1448091_zpsf6775524.jpg

I had an invite to -401's hangar a long time ago. I really wish I would have taken it, but my shop always had it's Lance Corporals kept busy with tasks essential to maintaining fleet readiness.... such as swabbing!

I had an invite to -401's hangar a long time ago. I really wish I would have taken it, but my shop always had it's Lance Corporals kept busy with tasks essential to maintaining fleet readiness.... such as swabbing!

The invitation is still open my friend. I know a guy who knows a guy.

This thing is coming along quite nicely. Some filling and sanding but really not much. I think its more because Im not building it right over the kit not fitting properly. This AFV kit is really about the best kit I have built to date. this thing should be ready for paint in the next couple of days. here is a couple of progress pics.

20140119_0224281_zps1cca76e9.jpg

20140119_0224411_zps596eabde.jpg

Anyone have any idea how I can make a shark nose out of this. I have some ideas but I am looking for suggestions.

2014-01-19_0226381_zps0f8cd2c6.jpg

Edited by Devilleader501
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After a long break because of work I have a minor update. It's actually getting painted. Holly crap I might actually finish a Group Build. Its only the base coat but its a starter since I haven't done anything to it in months because of work. Not the best job but my compressor has a really crappy regulator that really doesn't work. Either way I am happy because I had a chance to work on this thing. I will be ordering the decals tomorrow Which I should have done months ago but again I am a very busy man with work and Grand Kids .

20140501_165852_zps07aeceb3.jpg

20140501_173004_zpsf51e6695.jpg

20140501_175043_zpsf260a135.jpg

Maybe soon I can get to the Camo. I am hoping to get back into this thing and get it done in the next 2 weeks but we will see. Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Small update to let you all know I am still working on this thing. I have been really busy with work and taking care of grandkids but I am slowly plugging away at it. Hopefully I will be done by the end of this GB but if not then I will finish it after and keep it in this thread and topic. I have been building a base for it and trying to get everything together for the rest of the paint. This is going to be time consuming but I am hoping I can maybe have the Camo done by the end of the week. Heres where I am at right now. Not the best but after the Yellow lettering gets the red over it, the base will get a thick coat of clear Varnish to seal everything in.

20140609_133222_zps2e403269.jpg

20140609_133301_zpsf07b4f3e.jpg

20140609_133243_zps0b1b6bb9.jpg

All comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not 100% I say I am about 98% done. Still it does not qualify for the GB but I will complete this thing in the next couple of days. My sights are on the Hornet GB next with a 1/32 offering but we will see if it gets done too. I had a lot of fun learning new things about the f-5 I never knew. Keep up the great work guys. I will continue this thread for the next few days until I am done. After that a post will be made in the display case thread. Thanks for watching.