Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang

Lets see if I can get this one done in time, setting a hard deadline of May 30th on this one as Id like to take it to the CAMS show in Fredericton, NB on May 31st. I've had this kit sitting proudly on the top of my stash for some time. I think I may have gotten one of the first ones in the region via Elm City Hobbies. Hemmed and hawed over markings, still not 100% decided, leaning on Yeager's "Glamorous Glen III" but I might still do "Double Trouble Two" with its distinctive yellow and blacke checkered cowling.

Add on for this kit are all from BarracudaCals, including decals, cockpit stencils, sidewalls, cockpit upgrades, paper drop tank corrections and wheels. Will do a bit of additional work on the engine, nothing in depth, just some ignition wiring.

Wish me luck, I havent finished a new model since the summer... lol

Got the engine/supercharger assembly painted and assembled over the last few sittings, quite the build session really, almost 50 parts just in that sub assembly. I decided to skip the ignition wires just for the simple reason I believe they would not be easily visible behind the exhaust stack fairing anyways. Next up will work on the firewall and cockpit, thats where the fun will really begin with all the resin and pe add ons.

Pichers coming soon as ordered... lol.

I really need to take some before I get too far. This will be a fun build and I really want to record as mush of it as possible. I did a little paint test with the firewall and oil resevoir last night, yellow zinc chromate on the tank, and interior green on the firewall followed by a wash of Flory's panel line wash. I really like the results on the zinc, not so much on the interior green. Still at an early enough stage that I can fix that easy. Also began work on the cockpit floor with the required modification to accept the Barracuda Cals sidewalls. I got a couple of errands to run today, will snap some pics afterwards.

Oh, and after looking at a few builds online over at LSP, I have decided on my first pick for markings... will be Yeager's Glamourus Glen III.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Lets try this one more time. Tried twic ebefore but this pc is having fits tonight.

Packard Merlin engine... have since added a wash.

003_zpsc79ec622.jpg

005_zps56d96dc2.jpg

Firewall and oil resevoir, will get a bit more weathering before i'm done...

010_zps607ee60b.jpg

Cockpit with dark yellow base coat for the plywood flooring.

008_zps1321b22a.jpg

And after a brushing of raw sienna oil paint to simulate the grain.

011_zps5feb54af.jpg

More pics soon, woorking on fitting the BarracudaCast sidewalls now, they are nice and worth the added expense.

Thanks Guys. Been looking orward to this build for a long time. This will be a fun build for sure. Couple more pics for tonight.

Here is the floor now that the raw sienna has been toned dowm and dried a bit. Will seal it, then use the hair spray method to chip away the flat black paint that will go on top.

005_zps0dbeae95.jpg

And the Barracuda Cast sidewalls and various resin bits fitted and attached. These were a lot easier to fit than I anticipated, not a whole lot of surgery is required to the kit parts except for trimming away a bit of the floor on the right side. I did a dry fit with the floor in place between the fuselage halves and it all fits like a glove.

002_zps02edf63b.jpg

I have this kit so I'm interested in seeing how it goes for you.

+1

Not sure when I'm going to build mine but I purchased "Daddy's Girl" for Ray Wetmore's Mustang from fundekals. Will be following your build for tips and pointers, CC.

Have at it.

Mike

Been experimenting with building up the igintion harness for the topside of the engine over the weekend. Finally came up with something that should work. Will probably go ahead and do the outboard harnesses now too. Still needs to be primed and painted, but should look fine.

004_zps1077f67f.jpg

006_zps9a30c9f0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...