New decals for sexy P-38s and B-17s from Kagero

Hi all,

Two new publications with decals for P-38s and B-17s with sexy nose art will be available from Kagero after 17th January. These are:

2eda.jpg

miniTOPCOLORS No. 40

Pacific Lightnings Part I

Maciej Góralczyk, Andrzej Sadło

Two decal sheets with 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32 individual markings for 8 P-38 Lightnings with sexy nose art. The decal sheets were printed by Cartograf. Each painting scheme is depicted on beautifully drawn 4-view colour profiles and described in the 18 page guidebook with English and Polish text. The authors selected the following aircraft:

- P-38G-15-LO; s/n 43-2384, coded 'I' of 80th FS / 8th FG, Dobodura, New Guinea, autumn 1943,

- P-38E-LO; s/n 41-2221, 'Spirit of 76', coded '76', flown by 2nd Lt. John S. Mackey of 54th FS / 343rd FG, Attu, Aleutian Islands, winter of 1943/1944,

- P-38L-5-LO, s/n 44-27132, 'Ready Maid', coded 'M', flown by Capt. Phil McLain of 36th FS / 8th FG, San Jose, Mindoro, the Philippines, spring 1945,

- P-38L-5-LO, probable s/n 44-25133, 'Peck’s Bad Girl', coded 'V', flown by 2nd Lt. Charles I. Peck of 36th FS / 8th FG, San Jose, Mindoro, the Philippines, spring 1945,

- P-38L-5-LO; s/n 44-26302, 'Hazel', coded '413', flown by 1st Lt. Warren E. ‘Whip’ Whipple of 44th FS / 18th FG, the Philippines, summer 1945,

- P-38L-5-LO, s/n unknown, 'Glamour Puss II', coded 'L', flown by 1st Lt. Chester L. Schachterle of 80th FS / 8th FG, Ie Shima, Ryukyu Islands, August 1945,

- P-38L-5-LO, probable s/n 44-25161, 'Wishful Thinking', coded 'N', flown by Lt. Royce H. Hendrickson of 36th FS / 8th FG, Ie Shima, Ryukyu Islands, August 1945,

- P-38L-5-LO, s/n 44-26412, 'Shady’s Lady', coded 'P', flown by 1st Lt. William R. Pruner of 80th FS / 8th FG, Ie Shima, Ryukyu Islands, August 1945.

kmp7.jpg

Available in preorder in Kagero’s webshop: http://shop.kagero.pl/en/pacific-lightnings-part-i.html

qduf.jpg

SMI LIBRARY No. 8

B-17 Flying Fortress in Combat over Europe

Tomasz Szlagor

The B-17 Flying Fortress epitomized the American airpower for most of the Second World War. It was by far the most effective weapon to carry out the strategic, daylight bombing campaign in Europe. The battles fought by B-17 crews during raids on such tough targets as Schweinfurt, Berlin or Ploesti were nothing short of epic. The combined effort of the two US Army Air Forces, 8th and 15th, stationed in England and Italy respectively, eventually denied the enemy the means to wage war and sealed the fate of the European Axis powers and their allies. This 92 page book includes 130 b&w and 11 colour archive photos, colour profiles of 6 aircraft, as well as a decal sheet printed by Cartograf which contains 1:32 and 1:72 individual markings for the following planes:

- B-17G-25-BO; s/n 42-31678, 'Little Patches', coded 'LL-L' of 401st BS / 91st BG,

- B-17F-50-BO; s/n 42-5360, 'Old Faithful', coded 'VK-N' of 358th BS / 303rd BG.

3afy.jpg

gp9s.jpg

Available in preorder in Kagero’s webshop: http://shop.kagero.pl/en/08-b17-flying-fortress-in-combat-over-europe.html

Best regards,

Maciej

Other sexy nose-art options can be had (in various sizes for various scales) from starshipmodeller(dot)com. There are even large ones for the top wing of the Starfury space fighter (from Babylon 5). Careful though, because there are some that cannot be shown to your junior modellers.

George, out..............

Nice looking decals though I confess to some disappointment, when I saw the sexy P-38s title I'd half hoped for the OD/NG P-38J-5 "Black market Babe" operated in the South Pacific. afaik, its never been done in 1/72.

Steve.

A few impressions regarding decals...

The selected P-38 subjects are really very nice, and I'm looking forward to get them in some future.

However, the two (only?) B-17s are a big disappointment, both already seen before for many times. And you know, there were also other B-17 bomb groups in England besides the 91st and 303rd, not to mention the forgotten (yet again!) 15th Air Force from Italy. I must say that I expected much more from this publication, sadly.

stevehnz,

I'll consider 'Black Market Babe' for one of the future editions. As you may notice, this is part 1. However, the continuation of 'Pacific Lightnings' depends on the sales of the first part. Anyway, most of the aircraft featured in it were either not done previously in decals, or done incorrectly ('Ready Maid' appeared in a decal sheet in the past, but its authors haven't seen a colour photo of this plane which is featured in our booklet; 'Spirit of 76' is included in RS Models 1/72 P-38E kit, but it's clear that the designer of the paint schemes and decals have only seen a few photos of the aircraft available on one of the web forums, and simply fabricated some of the markings :) ).

flak88,

I agree that 'Little Patches' and 'Old Faithful' have been already available in some decal sets released previously, but usually they haven't been done properly. For example, Old Faithful usually appeared in decals as VK-G, which is not true.

Cheers,

Maciej

I gotta say, the P-38 decals look beautiful, I might have to try building the one lightning I have in my stash.

In regards to the B-17, I'm confused. I followed the link you gave and I thought this was just a book, do the decals come with the book?

Also, if you were to ever attempt a set of decals for say....the monogram 1/48 B-29, I have a particular aircraft in mind that I have never seen done before and would LOVE to see done! Especially in the very near future..... :D B) The nose art has a beautiful girl with a great rack but is still classy! Just throwing that out there.

Thanks guys!

I gotta say, the P-38 decals look beautiful, I might have to try building the one lightning I have in my stash.

In regards to the B-17, I'm confused. I followed the link you gave and I thought this was just a book, do the decals come with the book?

Yes, like all titles from SMI Library series, the one on the B-17 also contains decals - just as it's written in its description :)

This 92 page book includes 130 b&w and 11 colour archive photos, colour profiles of 6 aircraft, as well as a decal sheet printed by Cartograf which contains 1:32 and 1:72 individual markings for the following planes:

- B-17G-25-BO; s/n 42-31678, 'Little Patches', coded 'LL-L' of 401st BS / 91st BG,

- B-17F-50-BO; s/n 42-5360, 'Old Faithful', coded 'VK-N' of 358th BS / 303rd BG.

Cheers,

Maciej

stevehnz,

I'll consider 'Black Market Babe' for one of the future editions.

Cheers,

Maciej

Thanks for this response, you'd definitely sell a set of those to me. Apart from the rather attractive artwork on this, it appeals in being a cammo'd -38J rather than a natural metal one which I am not a fan of.I really admire those who can do NM & make it look convincing, I'm not one of them plus I just plain like cammo scheme.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...