USS Jerry Ford Stumbling

To start with, they should have named the USS FORD after something, or someone else... I can think of a lot of retired ships that are more suited to carriers. Whoever decided that carriers should be named after Presidents should have been fired. Not that tradition should be the precedent; Kitty Hawk, Connie, Sara, Midway, Lexington, America, Ranger all could have been re-used. The recommissioning of Enterprise was the best carrier name in a LONG time!! The Ford should have been Enterprise from the beginning. If we are going to name carriers after Presidents, they should at the very least have military experience. Just my thoughts.

-brian

AMEN Brian! This naming thing has really gotten poor lately. So many good and historical names to use...

But to counter that, as soon as the USS Bush shows up off of your coast, you're going to think OIF or worse really quickly.

Yep, my personal thoughts as well, about the naming of the Carriers. Since the ex-USS America was used as a test bed for future carriers such as the CVN-78, I feel CVN-78 should have been named America in CV-66's honor.

Good news then, LHA-6 is carrying on the tradition

But to counter that, as soon as the USS Bush shows up off of your coast, you're going to think OIF or worse really quickly.

Technically you would be thinking Desert Storm since it's named after George Sr. Not a bad thing since OIF is hardly going to go down as a showcase of US military prowess.

It's sad that the Navy chose to take this route, I'd limit them to the names of WW2 era carriers, that's it.

Technically you would be thinking Desert Storm since it's named after George Sr. Not a bad thing since OIF is hardly going to go down as a showcase of US military prowess.

Yeah, Bush Sr would remind you that we'll beat your a$$, but we won't deliver the final blow....

Beating a dead horse but out of 11 "Nimitz" class carriers 7 were laid down within a year of the death or in the case of the Reagan and Bush while their namesake was still living. Only Truman, TR, Washington and Lincoln were named for people dead well before the carrier was built (Truman being the most recent of these at 19 years).

Don't want to forget the submarine USS Jimmy Carter (he is also still alive).

Understand the push to name a carrier after JFK, a navy veteran and murdered sitting president, but that seems to have opened a flood gate of political patronage naming.

Understand the push to name a carrier after JFK, a navy veteran and murdered sitting president, but that seems to have opened a flood gate of political patronage naming.

I agree with everyone about the issue, but I think the blame goes to the USS Franklin D Roosevelt, and I can't really blame them for that. It was WWII and they were running out of names for ships.

Beating a dead horse but out of 11 "Nimitz" class carriers 7 were laid down within a year of the death or in the case of the Reagan and Bush while their namesake was still living. Only Truman, TR, Washington and Lincoln were named for people dead well before the carrier was built (Truman being the most recent of these at 19 years).

Don't want to forget the submarine USS Jimmy Carter (he is also still alive).

Good points indeed.

What is so ironic was the naming of the Ford.

His service needs no explanation. He served and he fought. Period.

His political career? IMHO; Was a little beyond weird, to say the least.

He is the only vice-president AND president to NOT be elected into office. And his two years as president was, um, most peculiar.

To describe it In one sentence: He was a manager, not a leader.

I'm of the opinion that stealth campaigning by his daughter and others lead to successfully naming the new class after him.

I'm also of the opinion that the new class carrier should have been named Enterprise after the great CV(N)-6.

'N' meaning Night. Enterprise was the only WWII carrier qualified as a night-fighting carrier.

Yeah, Bush Sr would remind you that we'll beat your a$$, but we won't deliver the final blow....

Yeah, what a dumb-a**. He accomplished the mission and then had the brains to stay out of what we found out later was a bottomless pit.

Edited by 11bee

Yeah, what a dumb-a**. He accomplished the mission and then had the brains to stay out of what we found out later was a bottomless pit.

"for ten years people asked me why we didn't 'finish the job'... I don't get that get question anymore" -James Baker.

His political career? IMHO; Was a little beyond weird, to say the least.

He is the only vice-president AND president to NOT be elected into office. And his two years as president was, um, most peculiar.

To describe it In one sentence: He was a manager, not a leader.

rVfO78t.gif

Yeah, well you are given the impression that you are going to help get rid of an oppressive, murdering monster, then watch as said oppressive, murdering monster systematically eliminates your people while waiting for assistance, or weapons, I guess that I would be pissed after 13 years too.

i realize which Bush it is named after. Just more folks in the world will remember the second Bush.

The naming of ships has gotten to be very political, and so has this thread :rolleyes:/>

Edited by Ruud
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This goes to show you that not all new technology is worth putting into service before it is really ready. They rushed this new catapult system for this ship and now we are seeing the results. They should have never changed it.

I am glad to see that they are going to bring back the Enterprise name for a carrier.

Edited by tosouthern66
4 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

This goes to show you that not all new technology is worth putting into service before it is really ready. They rushed this new catapult system for this ship and now we are seeing the results. They should have never changed it.

I am glad to see that they are going to bring back the Enterprise name for a carrier.

I wasn't aware that the next boat would be named Enterprise.   Awesome choice, certainly beats naming them after hacks.  Any idea what the next one in line will be called?

Just hope it doesn't take to long to remove the crappy electronic cats and replace them with good old, reliable steam ones.

6 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

This goes to show you that not all new technology is worth putting into service before it is really ready. They rushed this new catapult system for this ship and now we are seeing the results. 

New technology ???   Rushed ???  

The TACAIR MNS (Mission Needs Statement) for EMALS was put out in 1995.  

EMALS first land-based launch, a T-45, was in 2010. 

Westinghouse developed a similar electric aircraft catapult in 1946, around the time linear induction motors were first developed. 

When compared to EMALS, the whole JSF > X-35 > F-35 program is "rushed"....

7 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Along with Lexington, Saratoga and Yorktown for CVN-81, 82 and 83. At least that's my thinking 

Edited by Beauslx