The new dark grey F-16 scheme

Is it the same "colour" with the F-35 ?

I still think that is open to discussion. I would say it's not the same colour, it's close but just doesn't look right. However that might be something to do with the underlying composite material that the F35 is built from. Then again why would the USAF paint the F-16's a different color when you would think they would rationalize on one paint type?

The F-35 colour is FS36170, hex #6a6b6b

Edited by scotthldr

91-0391 "Cube 31" arriving to Moron AFB in route from USA to Kandahar, Afghanistan. From ANG 148th FW, 179th FS "Bulldogs", Duluth International Airport, Minnesota.

"Cube 31" Shot #2

Here's a tank from the "new" scheme hung under the wing of an "old" scheme jet. Good example of the differences between the new and old grays. As you can see, this new color is not 36118.

Another tank shot, different jet from before.

Lockheed-Martin has a company jet in the overall gray as well.

0008_330_zpse0331a3b.jpg

An Edwards jet from February 2012. Frankly, the gray looks closer to 36081, 36008 or 36076 than it does to 36118.

Another shot of the Lock-Mart jet..

f-35-f-16-and-f-18-in-formation.jpg

Is it the same "colour" with the F-35 ?

I'd bet that it is. A lot of people claim that this is 36118, but that gray is too light, too blue of a hue to match this.

5975888531_e26e53f9d5_z.jpg

7765048888_42ed1a4a35_z.jpg

7816616274_2365a98479_z.jpg

7782265650_563e138788_z.jpg

4325666233_6808196b37_z.jpg

In the past, I've mentioned that 36081 looked close to this new color. Back in December, scotthldr posted that the F-35's color was 36170 and I'm accepting that value until some solid evidence that contradicts it comes along. Where I disagree with scotthldr is that this being the color on these F-16s in that I think that they are finished in 36170. Upon reviewing FS595, I no longer think that 36170 is the accurate color. Nothing from 595 truly matches the F-35/these F-16s, but there are some "close" shades in the 36081 range that would provide for an accurate basis for painting these aircraft

Edited by Tony Stark

The normal dark grey color for the F-16 is FS36118, while the F-35 and some F-16's mentioned above is FS36170. I agree that FS36081 apper to be closest as it is today, but that may change once the Paint manufacturers get their behinds off the Chair :)

After a bit of digging around and cross matching the closest modelling paint out there to FS36170 is Humbrol's 224 Dark Slate Grey which has a colour shift of 2.9

Another colour which looks very close but unable to get a actual cross reference against is Model Masters 52924 Smoke Grey Pearl from their Automotive range, even has the metallic sheen.

Edited by scotthldr

Update: I will go ahead and start designing a decal sheet for these. It looks like I have most what I would need, so it should take me 2-3 days to have the preliminary design done. Unless I hit a research glitch, I should be able to make it part of my early March release batch.

Edited by KursadA

I may just be the novelty of change, but i really like the dark grey look, as well.

I'm no expert, so is the RAM coating ("Have Glass" program), or just a new coat of darker paint? I wonder how many vipers will actually be repainted like this. Any indication?

It's Have Glass...(5 I think?) Block 50/52's for sure. Other than that, I'm not positive.

Aaron

I may just be the novelty of change, but i really like the dark grey look, as well.

I'm no expert, so is the RAM coating ("Have Glass" program), or just a new coat of darker paint? I wonder how many vipers will actually be repainted like this. Any indication?

So far, I think it's just been the aircraft in these images. The Minnesota ANG only had the one that they took to Afghanistan with them. There may be more, but I have neither heard or seen any others since.

Edited by Tony Stark

This one was not much of a challenge, but still needs some work as I need to figure out the crew name, and the emblem on the port intake. I think I will leave that and the LM company planes until tomorrow, But I feel confident enough to schedule a March release, so I will announce this in my forum.

dviper_promo3.jpg

I feel the same way.

Like doing a color change on an old weekend cruiser.