The new dark grey F-16 scheme

Only thing I found consistent with the FS numbering is that FS1xxxx is gloss, while FS2xxxx is semi-gloss while FS3xxxx is matt

Everything points towards FS36170 as being the correct colour. FS36170 is listed under 595c not 595b which most internet searches will return. I spent several hours trawling the net before I found any official reference to it.

FS595 is a colour collection not a system which has evolved over the years so discrepancies do exist in it. Where it is generally accepted that the last 3 digits in the code indicate the intensity with 000 being the darkest and 999 being the lightest this isn't always the case. Gaps have been left between certain numbers to allow new colours to be added at later dates and when they are they're not always able to insert them where you might expect to find them. If you look at the colour chip above 36044 is a lot darker than 36008 yet it's listed afterwards.

I may be thinking too far out of the box here, But could the color be something that is not in the FS595 paint carts? All I'm reading is that FS36170 being a close match meaning that its not,unless I'm miss reading something.

Kinda like how the F-22's finish isn't really "paint" but is instead a top coating(s) that once fully cured is kinda-sorta approximately something close to some colors that are referenced on the 595?

48th for now, then I'll do 1/32 and 1/72.

If at all possible, may I suggest the LockMart Delta in 1/32 Jake? I'm buying an Academy Sufa soon, and as of right now it'll be a Block 52 aggressor using a Twobobs sheet, but if you were able to get that bird in decal form, I'd very quickly change my mind.

Aaron

If at all possible, may I suggest the LockMart Delta in 1/32 Jake? I'm buying an Academy Sufa soon, and as of right now it'll be a Block 52 aggressor using a Twobobs sheet, but if you were able to get that bird in decal form, I'd very quickly change my mind.

Aaron

I don't have full references on it, Aaron. I've shot it a bunch over the past year or two, but not up close enough to pick out the fine details of the artwork and stencils. I'm not opposed to it, if I can get the required pics.

Jake

Im a bit perplexed. One of the many whines about the f-22 and f-35 are the so-called boring grey paint jobs.

The f-16 gets an even more boring grey paint job and its a drool fest. rolleyes.gif

I take it you didn't take sociology and/or psychology in college?

Pip, you are absolutely correct. I should have thought of that sooner, I should have done this sooner...

I pulled out my copy of FS 595b this evening and ran this:

And as it turns out, 36170 doesn't even exist on FS595. I placed the closest value to it (36173) on the bottom of that chart just for comparison.

The next-closest color to 36170 is FS36176 - better known as the dark gray in the Mod Eagle Scheme

1. Placing a scanned strip of 595 (or any other) color chips onto a photo you found online is utterly and completely pointless. The same airplane photographed with the same camera five seconds later will look a totally different color depending on sun angle, etc, etc, etc, etc.

2. The proximity of one FS color to another numerically (36170 >> 36176) is also pointless. FS595 colors are in no way related other than the basic color family (blue, red, grey, etc). Unlike a color system where close proximity *does* imply similar color characteristics, FS595 is simply a collection of otherwise unrelated colors.

I know nothing about this paint, but it's entirely possible, and I'd say quite likely that it's not even in the FS system (yet).

Exactly. And not just in real life, but in your model room and in contest rooms around the world.

So just pick a dark grey that looks close. Add a touch of silver or gunmetal. Then rest assured that at some angle / lighting condition, your model will look exactly like the real thing. No need to sweat this issue. It seems impossible to get a dead match on this paint.

I also find Mr. Blue's comments appropriate. Buried in various threads are multiple complaints about how the F-35 looks boring and dull. Now a few F-16's are painted in something similar and the happy meter is nearly pegged.

Personally, I like the new scheme. Seeing F-16's in pretty much the same paintwork for nearly 30 years gets old. Anything new is welcome, hopefully we'll see this applied to more than just the few test/trials aircraft currently sporting it.

The f-16 gets an even more boring grey paint job and its a drool fest. :rolleyes:/>

To be fair, it's worn the same damn scheme for 30+ year and this is literally new and shiny. At this point, anything new would elicit such a response.

To be fair, it's worn the same damn scheme for 30+ year and this is literally new and shiny. At this point, anything new would elicit such a response.

Amen,when I crewed Phantoms I was lucky enough to be on the line to see at least three different camo schemes on our F-4's at the same time,they were SEA Wraparound,Euro One and the Hill Grey scheme.There were only very minor variations of the same camo on the F-16 when I crewed them for 14 years.

I don't have full references on it, Aaron. I've shot it a bunch over the past year or two, but not up close enough to pick out the fine details of the artwork and stencils. I'm not opposed to it, if I can get the required pics.

Paging Mr. Barr, Mr. Jim Barr..... :thumbsup:

PS Eric H might be able to help out as well.

So just pick a dark grey that looks close. Add a touch of silver or gunmetal. Then rest assured that at some angle / lighting condition, your model will look exactly like the real thing. No need to sweat this issue. It seems impossible to get a dead match on this paint.

I also find Mr. Blue's comments appropriate. Buried in various threads are multiple complaints about how the F-35 looks boring and dull. Now a few F-16's are painted in something similar and the happy meter is nearly pegged.

Personally, I like the new scheme. Seeing F-16's in pretty much the same paintwork for nearly 30 years gets old. Anything new is welcome, hopefully we'll see this applied to more than just the few test/trials aircraft currently sporting it.

I agree that trying to get an exact shade is an exercise in futility on this occassion.

As to why the F-16 looks so great in this scheme, and the F-35 looks so dull....? I dunno, it just does. The Osprey looks cool in its metallic grey too.

A few years ago when the color shifting paint came out in the car industry, Dupli-color put out a paint kit that was sold in Walmart where you could paint anything in the color shifting paint.

The kit included three cans of paint, A flat black primer, a top coat and a clear coat, the clear coat had all the color shifting tents in it. The last F-22 I built I used the clear coat from the kit and work very well. It gave it that Raptor sheen to it.

Here is a link to it http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage/

I have no problem with the new paint scheme, I was just noting the irony. And while I agree with you that the standard viper scheme is getting long in the tooth, there are definitely some things Id hate to see just in the name of change.

Some of the old Navy schemes for instance, I thought were a bit gaudy, as well as detracting from the beauty of the aircraft's lines at times.

Just my opinion, but then again, I was deprived of the apparently very relevant sociology courses as a youth.

A few years ago when the color shifting paint came out in the car industry, Dupli-color put out a paint kit that was sold in Walmart where you could paint anything in the color shifting paint.

The kit included three cans of paint, A flat black primer, a top coat and a clear coat, the clear coat had all the color shifting tents in it. The last F-22 I built I used the clear coat from the kit and work very well. It gave it that Raptor sheen to it.

Here is a link to it http://www.duplicolo...roducts/mirage/

Dumb sincere questions:

How was the Dupli-color clear coat different than other clear coat?

In your opinion; What else could said clear coat be beneficial for?

The 'Raptor sheen' comment got my attention.

Thanks.

Dumb sincere questions:

How was the Dupli-color clear coat different than other clear coat?

In your opinion; What else could said clear coat be beneficial for?

The 'Raptor sheen' comment got my attention.

Thanks.

The clear coat has a pearlescents to it that ,to me works just right.